St Maarten Bernard Tours

mitsugirly

I've been reading for hours on places to go while in St Maarten. I knew for sure that I HAVE to go to Maho to watch the planes. I'm also interested in visiting Orient Bay.

st_maarten_islandmapbernardtours.gif

I've been reading everyone's experiences with Bernards Tours, so started to consider maybe doing his tour as well.

People stated that it cost $35 pp for the tour. His website states $44.00 Anyone know which it really is?

Also, he gives the following as a list of where he takes you:

The tour will consist of the following stops.

• Great Bay overlooking Phillipsburg and harbor.
  • Cayhill (Harold Jack) overlooking Simpson Bay marina.
  • Sunset Beach bar (Maho Beach) where you can see the planes land right over your head.
  • Overlooking at dawn beach
  • Fort Amsterdam
  • Baie Nettle
  • Marigot - open market (French Capital) - 40 minutes.
  • Hilltop at Orient Bay overlooking the beach.
  • Swim at Orient Beach for two hours.
  • Return to Philipsburg.

• 9:00am - 11:00am* ~ Sightseeing
  • 11:00am - 1:00pm* ~ Orient Beach
  • 1:30pm - 3:00pm* ~ Shopping in Philipsburg

I'm wondering how you can squeeze in all that "sightseeing" in only 2 hours? Especially with 40 min of it at Marigot. That doesn't seem like much time at the other spots.

It doesn't sound like enough time to really be able to stay at Maho Bay to watch the planes come in. I would imagine since he does this every day, he knows the planes schedules...but this will probably be the highlight of this island for me. :D I don't want to hop out, see a plane and leave.

The other thing, if someone can help me out, I'm going to attach a map I have of the island, in yellow are the places he goes to circled. However, I'm having a problem finding some things on there and maybe someone can point me in the right direction for location. I want to "investigate" a little more about the stops to see if it's really what I'm looking for. I can't find the following: Cay Hill (is this the same as Cay Bay?), Dawn Beach, and Fort Amsterdam.

The one thing that has me seriously considering the tour is knowing that I have a ride from place to place, I'm not going to get lost, I will be able to see more spots than I would do on my own, I will know the exact cost of transportation from place to place, and knowing that I'll make it back to the boat in time.

Any input is welcome.

st_maarten_islandmapbernardtours.gif

st_maarten_islandmapbernardtours.gifa%3E

My other thought is this...

Bernard tours to see a lot more=$35.00 ???

vs

Taxi to just Maho, Orient and back to pier

(estimate from everyone) $18 for 2 people to Maho, Maho to Orient 15.00pp, Orient to pier 7.00 pp = $62

After a lot of research I booked a tour with Bernard for December. I have read nothing but good reviews. I also want to see the planes at Maho so I asked him about it. He said that he times it so that you can watch the planes and does not rush you.

If you're seeing a price of $44, then you're not on Bernard's Website.

You must be at a booking agent that is adding on their commission to the price.

Bernard's price is currently $35pp, but will increase to $40pp for tours from October 1st.

You mention that you can't find Cay Hill or Dawn Beach on your map, but they are plainly listed. Fort Amsterdam is at the point below Little Bay.

gary

If you're seeing a price of $44, then you're not on Bernard's Website.

You must be at a booking agent that is adding on their commission to the price.

Bernard's price is currently $35pp, but will increase to $40pp for tours from October 1st.

You mention that you can't find Cay Hill or Dawn Beach on your map, but they are plainly listed. Fort Amsterdam is at the point below Little Bay.

gary

This is the site I was on: http://bernardstours.shoreadventures.net/ is it the wrong site?

Ok, I just found Cay Hill, all I could see was Cay Bay and thought maybe that was it...and Dawn Beach (sorry, it's been a long day of school finals and it's 12:30am here). whew. Thanks, I thought I was going crazy.

Ok thanks. After viewing his site, it does say that his tours are going up Sept 1 to $40.

His list also doesn't include some stops that were mentioned on the other site. He list:

The tour will consist of the following stops.

• Great Bay overlooking Phillipsburg and harbor.
  • Cayhill overlooking Simpson Bay marina.
  • Sunset Beach bar ( Maho Beach ) where you can see the planes land right over your head.
  • Marigot - open market (French Capital).
  • Hilltop at Orient Bay overlooking the beach.
  • Swim at Orient Beach for up to two hours, as time allows.
  • Return to Philipsburg will be between 1:30 and 2:00, depending on factors.

Note: Shopping at the Rima's store will be for 20 minutes if time allows.

Note: Each scenic stop will be between 5 to 10 minutes.

Note: The Marigot open market will be a 30 minute stop.

That doesn't seem like much time to stop anywhere. :(

So I'm a little unsure about this now.

I don't recommend booking through Shore Adventures. Not only do they charge more but when I emailed Bernard directly, he said he did not have my reservation from Shore Adventures.

I've toured with Bernard before. This coming November will be my 2nd time with him and I'm highly looking forward to it, so I think that says a lot. Maho was my highlight too - he does time it so that you are there when a big plane is *scheduled* to arrive. He made it clear that if the plane were late, we could not stay. Obviously he can do nothing to control when the plane actually gets there, but will have you there when there is at least one expected.

We got just under two hours at Orient Beach (because some dawdled at Rima's too long). We also made a stop on the east side and learned about sea creatures - including holding live ones. Just under two hours at Orient was enough for most of us to wander around, go for a swim, find a seat and a drink and get some lunch.

We had about 40 -45 minutes at Maho and saw several small planes, a couple good-sized ones and one jumbo jet (thankfully it was on time). He got us back to Philipsburg in time for anyone who wanted to shop to be dropped off to do so, and took the remainder of us directly back to the pier.

I cannot say enough good things about Bernard's tour! If you've never been to St. Maarten, I think it's the very best way to get a good overview of the island.

No, it clearly says that the rate is going up for tours from October 1st.

gary

This price will be for any tours from October 1st, but if you reserve and confirm your tour by September 1st, then the current price will be reserved.

After September 1st, the price will be $40 per person.

Now that's a confusing statement. It states Oct 1, then says After September 1st <---I'm taking it that you have to book prior to Sept 1 in order to get the $35 rate for Sept.

Just book through Bernards Tours dot com and leave Shore Adventures out of it. Whether you pay $35.00 or $40.00 it is well worth it. There's a tour guide in Cozumel that charges $95.00 for the first three hours in his vehicle and then more after that (granted the price goes down per person the more people you have with you in that situation). Bernard is a great tour guide and you'll really enjoy it. He also provides free beverages including beer and rum punch whereas the aforementioned tour guide in Cozumel simply brings a cooler and will stop at the store (while your time is ticking away) and you purchase your OWN beverages.

How did you pay for the tour and did you pre-pay with a credit card.

Thank you for the website I went to adventures and got an email back from Gordon and was wondering who it was. I now have Bernard.

Mitsugirly, too bad you will not be there when we are we could have toured together. So far no one on our board wants to tour.

Thank you,

Seadeck2

This price will be for any tours from October 1st, but if you reserve and confirm your tour by September 1st, then the current price will be reserved.

Now that's a confusing statement. It states Oct 1, then says After September 1st <---I'm taking it that you have to book prior to Sept 1 in order to get the $35 rate for Sept.

Not sure how you could take it to say that you have to do anything special to get the $35 rate for September.

It clearly says that the price increase will be for any tours from October 1st.

Then it says that even if your tour is after October 1st, if you book by September 1st, then "the current price will be reserved", a grace period.

If you book a tour for the increased price timeframe, that begins on October 1st, after the 'grace period', then you'll pay the full, increased, price of $40.

If you have an October or November tour and you wait until September 2nd to reserve, then it's going to be $40.

gary

$35 or $40, it is well worth it. Book directly through Bernard, there is no deposit. At the end of the tour, you will pay IN CASH. Remember, that you pay in cash, he does not accept credit cards.

As far as Maho goes, Bernard plans ahead. He took us there last instead of first because the big planes were coming in that afternoon. I can not say enough good things about this tour. We saw so much and enjoyed every moment. FANTASTIC tour I would recommend to any of my friends or family.

Ok thanks. After viewing his site, it does say that his tours are going up Sept 1 to $40.

That doesn't seem like much time to stop anywhere. :(

So I'm a little unsure about this now.

We toured with Bernard in April and loved it, felt very comfortable, got to see many places of interest on the island, and had a great time overall. It was not a private tour and we were about 10 in his van.

About price, both $35 and $40 are well worth it (don't forget free drinks), and I think his statement on his website is very clear, book/confirm by September 1st: $35, otherwise $40.

We felt the time we spent in each place was more than enough, considering the time restrictions of the tour and our time on the island. We thought the tour was well planned and interesting, really enjoyed the information Bernard provided on many aspect of the island: tourism, family life, politics, laws, economy, etc.

We toured a bit different than what is written on Bernard's website, it went something like this:

9 to 11 - Sightseeing: Great bay, Simpson bay, sea creatures man

11 to 12:45 - Orient Beach

1 to 1:30 - Marigot

1:30 to 2:15 - Maho

2:30 to 2:45 - Souvenir shop

3:00 - Back to port (he offered to take us shopping in Philipsburg and then return us to the port but no one was interested).

Archived