Karaoke Song List

Funny you just posted this. We just got off Explorer, and I did karaoke for the first time, and really loved it, and was looking for a song list to maybe practice something to do on a future cruise.

Here's a few of the songs I remember:

L-O-V-E by Nat King Cole

Copacabana by Barry Manilow

I Write the Songs by Barry Manilow

Jesse's Girl by Rick Springfield

Gimme Three Steps by Lynyrd Skynyrd

Cheeseburger in Paradise by Jimmy Buffett

Yeah, I'd sure like to see the full list again...

Dave

The lists are so long, it is hard to just remember some...

And, they tend to vary ship to ship...

One thing that's certain is that they NEVER seem to have the songs I want to sing!!!

That said, I've preformed "Cheeseburger in Paradise" a few times...

And shocked some of the seniors on board by singing the Kinks' "Lola"...

One ship, I was at least happy to find CCR's "Lodi"...

I WISH...but have never found on a ship yet...for them to have any of the following:

Rod Stewart's "Maggie May"...

Warren Zevon's "Werewolves of London"

Bob Dylan's "Rainy Day Women"...

In other words, the lists are never any FUN...

There's only so many times I want to hear some 19 year old singing "I will Survive"... or disco hits of the 70s...or anything by Ricky Martin...

Give me some good, fun, classic rock...I'll even take a good TRADITIONAL Country number (not the newfangled crossover pop stuff, I mean stuff that talks about dogs and trucks and getting drunk and so on)...

Either Karaoke has to blow you away with talent...or...and this means most of us...it has to be silly and fun...sung by people who DON'T take themselves seriously...where they've had a couple of drinks...and they don't mind the audience singing along...

JMHO...

On my EOS cruise I did Crocodile Rock (Elton John), Great Balls of Fire (Jerry Lee Lewis), Shout (Isley Brothers) and All Star (Smash Mouth), which was the one that put me in the final round.

I know Daniel (Elton John) was also on there, as was Achy-Breaky Heart (Billy Ray Cyrus) and White Room (Cream).

I remember there being a number of songs by the band Alabama... like an odd amount for a band where I don't know a single on of their songs, then again I'm young and don't listen to country.

They used to have an abysmal selection of tunes to the point where I had never even heard of most of the songs let alone knew how to sing them. On Independence the selection was superb.

The other thing which always used to annoy me was the way the got one of the junior cruise director staff to run the karaoke and you could tell they had little or no interest. Ironically it was the one time for most of the guests where they put themselves on the line a little and so you'd have thought the company would want to see them protected a little bit. A sort of get out there but only if it's absolutely safe and you're wearing a harness ;)

On Independence the cruise staff running the karaoke were really great. They didn't patronise at all and were genuinely interested in their job. They also allowed the guests to shine rather than trying to upstage them.

The other thing they did on Independence was rock-aoke (or some such name) where you could sing with the house band. They really were gracious with their help and support. I murdered a couple of songs but they made sure you sounded ok and took centre stage come the applause at the end. A sign of their musical talent being able to put themselves up to supporting amateurs.

Henry :)

My late husband won the finals once and got runner up a second time. He sang mostly Neil Diamond (I am I said and Sweet Caroline) and then when he sang with the band he sang off a list of 10 choices. I think John Mellencamp was on there, which he sang. I also recall Turn the Page (Bob Seger) and Sittin' on the dock of the Bay (Otis Redding). The lists were huge to choose from but you have to have an idea of artist or it's hard to find what you like.

I, on the other hand, cannot sing so never tried any songs...

Can you bring your own karaoke cd's? I have quite a collection of songs

that you don't usually find in a typical karaoke song book.

Three or four years ago I brought karaoke cd's on the Jewel. When I asked about using them, I was told "no". I did not bring any on our next RCI cruise.

On a more recent Celebrity cruise a gal brought about 40 cd's in two albums. The guys running the karaoke nicely played anything requested from these.

Our last cruise was on HAL Noordam last spring. I did not try my own. Karaoke was limited to one session. Later there was a "finals" for first place. I did not win that, which was proper since another man was really great.

Also, the trend seems to be toward no talent show, as in the past, but only selecting karaoke singers for a final contest. On earlier cruises there were always opportunities to perform in a general talent show toward the end of a cruise. Hal had a great pianist on the Westerdam in 2005, and I sang "Old Man River." The audience reception was very good. I just want to do 'Old Man River" once more so my wife can record it for posterity. :D But such is not to be.

The karaoke selections now seem to be lots of stuff I have never heard of, and a very few Broadway show songs. I think this stinks. Thankfully, there seem to always be several Frank Sinatra songs available. :)

Bob :cool:

• 5 months later...

A group I met onboard sang "I Will Survive" on the Majesty. Most recently I sang Huey Lewis & The News "Heart and Soul" on the Monarch. The selection of songs are limited, and there is no Journey. But don't stop believin', maybe they'll have it someday.

Edited by TM38Rob
update

Karaoke is a poor excuse for entertainment. We are paying top dollar to cruise and nobody wants to hear their cruise companions trying to provide an evenings entertainment.

In most cases the everyday cruiser cannot belt out a tune.

The lists are so long, it is hard to just remember some...

And, they tend to vary ship to ship...

One thing that's certain is that they NEVER seem to have the songs I want to sing!!!

That said, I've preformed "Cheeseburger in Paradise" a few times...

And shocked some of the seniors on board by singing the Kinks' "Lola"...

One ship, I was at least happy to find CCR's "Lodi"...

I WISH...but have never found on a ship yet...for them to have any of the following:

Rod Stewart's "Maggie May"...

Warren Zevon's "Werewolves of London"

Bob Dylan's "Rainy Day Women"...

In other words, the lists are never any FUN...

There's only so many times I want to hear some 19 year old singing "I will Survive"... or disco hits of the 70s...or anything by Ricky Martin...

Give me some good, fun, classic rock...I'll even take a good TRADITIONAL Country number (not the newfangled crossover pop stuff, I mean stuff that talks about dogs and trucks and getting drunk and so on)...

Either Karaoke has to blow you away with talent...or...and this means most of us...it has to be silly and fun...sung by people who DON'T take themselves seriously...where they've had a couple of drinks...and they don't mind the audience singing along...

JMHO...

I'm dying to sing any Warren Zevon song. I've had this approach/avoidance thing with Karaoke but would jump at the chance to sing anything by Zevon.

Karaoke is a poor excuse for entertainment. We are paying top dollar to cruise and nobody wants to hear their cruise companions trying to provide an evenings entertainment.

WOW!!! So not nice or true. I find it very entertaining and courageous. I don't think I would have the nerve to get up and sing but hats off to those who do.

Baloney, baloney, and more baloney. Of course that's just my opinion:rolleyes:.

Years ago on the Monarch my then 10yo son wanted to sing a Karaoke song. He looked at the list and chose a song by Green Day called Basket Case. I know some of their songs have cuss words so I said he could sing it if there were no bad words. He assured me there were none.

He proceeded to belt out a song that included the lyrics "I went to a shrink to analyze my dreams. She says it's lack of sex that's bringing me down. So I went to a whore and said my life's a bore".

We had people asking the rest of the trip in the elevators where he learned that song. He did not know what a whore was at the time.

It's an interactive activity. Sometimes it's a real blast. Depends on the staff running it.

Not always true. I miss the days when they had the passenger talent show. I even took part in the show a couple of times. One year there was a women that gave one of the best performances I've seen. She was better than the headliner that cruise. Yeah, there were some pretty "lame stunts" but most were in the average to above average talent category.

• 4 months later...

I guess its a good thing there are other things to do on the ship! We enjoy karaoke on the ships, it's fun watching those folks who can sing, and those who "think" they can! :) Very entertaining! Especially seeing the latter the next day after they've sobered up!