QM2: Maintaining the Dreams and Memories

Andiamo

I watched "Love Affair" with Charles Boyer and Irene Dunne today. Our esteemed member Penny has often spoken of the remake with Carey Grant and Deborah Kerr in "An Affair to Remember", an equally fantastic movie.

Afterwards, I found myself turning straightaway to my DVR to watch the Discovery Channel's "Mighty Ships", featuring the QM2, and the Travel Channel's "Cruises We Love", featuring the QM2. I am so glad I taped these shows, as well as the "Keeping Up Appearances" episode featuring the QE2. They are my 'fix' until my next time on board.

It is hard not to notice the changes lately (which I thought melb1988 was quite fair about), but a love affair is a love affair, and QM2 is a dream and memory maker, despite it's age. I hope that more readers than not share my feelings about this grand dame.

Jeanne

(Not a cheerleader and not blind.)

I watched "Love Affair" with Charles Boyer and Irene Dunne today. Our esteemed member Penny has often spoken of the remake with Carey Grant and Deborah Kerr in "An Affair to Remember", an equally fantastic movie.

Afterwards, I found myself turning straightaway to my DVR to watch the Discovery Channel's "Mighty Ships", featuring the QM2, and the Travel Channel's "Cruises We Love", featuring the QM2. I am so glad I taped these shows, as well as the "Keeping Up Appearances" episode featuring the QE2. They are my 'fix' until my next time on board.

It is hard not to notice the changes lately (which I thought melb1988 was quite fair about), but a love affair is a love affair, and QM2 is a dream and memory maker, despite it's age. I hope that more readers than not share my feelings about this grand dame.

Jeanne

Jeanne, Mary is a lovely and charming ship; I thoroughly enjoy my time on board her and can say that warts and all, she is my favourite ship. She has a hard life but it is one that she was designed for, she doesn't have the luxury of being in port every other day to allow for attention to her paintwork and she is in need of attention. Her current faults and problems are many but most will be fixed if ever she is allowed to enter a dry dock.

Hi Jeanne ~ I share your feelings. I'll be back on board in less than two months...sailing over on QV at the end of April and returning on QM2 the same day we arrive in Soton. Wish I had some time to spend over there...maybe next time.

This was nice to read and thank you for refrencing my review!

I cannot stress that I too love the ship and the Cunard line as it really is the last link to the golden age of the ocean liners which the rest of today's market is nothing like!

I pointed out the things I did in my review not for hate, but more out of sadness that such a ship has been allowed to slip in some very basic areas! But one must always remember that Carnival is in charge now and perhaps they are yet to fully grasp the idea of such a famous ship and what it truly means to people like us?

I have no doubt that a proper dry docking, with some money ready to be spent will see the ship fully returned to all her 2004 glory!

My hope is that 30 years from now, she will be what the QE2 was, an icon that has stood the test of time, an old friend, a grand old lady... If she receives and continues to receive the right care now, there is no reason why it can't happen.

Long live the Queen. :)

... a love affair is a love affair, and QM2 is a dream and memory maker, despite it's age. I hope that more readers than not share my feelings about this grand dame.

Jeanne

Well said, Jeanne. But remember that this grande dame isn't even a teenager yet.

Paul

But one must always remember that Carnival is in charge now and perhaps they are yet to fully grasp the idea of such a famous ship and what it truly means to people like us?

It was Carnival that decided to build the QM2 using almost $1,000,000,000 of Carnival's capital.

...I cannot stress that I too love the ship and the Cunard line as it really is the last link to the golden age of the ocean liners which the rest of today's market is nothing like!

...But one must always remember that Carnival is in charge now and perhaps they are yet to fully grasp the idea of such a famous ship and what it truly means to people like us?..

Should you have to good fortune to be on board a Cunard ship when Stephen Payne, QM2's designer, is on board make a point to attend his Genesis of a Queen lecture.

He was employed by Carnival but on board QE2 when the purchase of Cunard - completely unexpected - was announced. He received a satellite call from his office telling him to be back in London ASAP to start work on QE2's successor. He would eventually convince Carnival's board that a proper ocean liner, and not a reinforced cruise ship, was needed.

There is an archived sub-forum from September 2013 when he was here to answer some questions:

Stephen Payne Q&A

Edited by BlueRiband

Should you have to good fortune to be on board a Cunard ship when Stephen Payne, QM2's designer, is on board make a point to attend his Genesis of a Queen lecture.

He was employed by Carnival but on board QE2 when the purchase of Cunard - completely unexpected - was announced. He received a satellite call from his office telling him to be back in London ASAP to start work on QE2's successor. He would eventually convince Carnival's board that a proper ocean liner, and not a reinforced cruise ship, was needed.

There is an archived sub-forum from September 2013 when he was here to answer some questions:

Stephen Payne Q&A

Me thinks you have a few dates confused or I do. The QM2 came on line in 2004 and the QE2 was sold in 2007 with the transfer made in late 2008. So did he design the QM2 or the new QE? If it was the QE then it is anything but a liner. Not quite the condo stack of the QV inside and out but very close. At least the inside of the QE has the look of a real liner. No matter how one tries ten - fourteen stories above water line does not a classic liner make.

Hi,

I totally agree that the Queen Mary 2 is a special ship. I have sailed aboard her four times (2004, 2006, 2009 and 2014). Most recently, I greatly enjoyed a transatlantic crossing on the QM2 in November 2014. My all-time favorite ship was the QE2 (sailed aboard her seven times between 1984 and 2005), but the Queen Mary 2 is the closest thing to the QE2 that currently is in service.

Although the QM2 certainly could benefit from a refit, I don't consider an 11 year old to be "old." The QE2 was in service for 39 years. I hope that the QM2 will be in service for many more years.

Chuck

Jeanne

Jeanne,

You've given perfect voice to the sentiments of all of us who love QM2. Of late she hasn't received the care she deserves, but she remains a delight. And when she finally goes into dry dock, I'm hopeful that she'll emerge as wonderful as ever. As for her flaws, obvious though some of them are, we're looking forward to sailing on her again this summer with nary a thought about them.

Edited by Thaxted

For me the classic QM2 memories are more than the nuts and bolts and fabric of the vessel. It is that plus the passengers or guests that you meet along the way, those that serve aboard her and the broadening of horizons provided by the different destinations visited. I am sure other ships can provide that, but the overall package provided by QM2 connects with my personality and style perfectly.

Most reasonable people would acknowledge a little tender loving care is needed sooner rather than later but her demise is a long way off in my opinion even though she is sailing through troubled economic times. Last time on board I had to report two separate water leaks in my cabin, there was also a soft spot in the cabin floor. Has that put me off going again? No, not at all.

M-AR

On a very short lunch break, but did not want to delay a quick thanks for all the very special comments. I was reluctant to make this post, as threads sometimes go downhill too often, and I doubt that I am alone in my hesitation. I am glad I was brave!

Jeanne

PS: I could surely tell many stories of things that have gone wrong for me on board. But, like your family, you love them anyway.

I also have a love affair with QM2. I've travelled on her on several occasions, most recently back to Southampton from Singapore last year, yes there are issues, but they completely fade into insignificance as far as I am concerned.

Much as I also REALLY like the other Queens, and thoroughly enjoy travelling on them, QM2 continues to have that very special place in my heart - and long may it continue.

Edited by cruiseluvva

Me thinks you have a few dates confused or I do. The QM2 came on line in 2004 and the QE2 was sold in 2007 with the transfer made in late 2008. So did he design the QM2 or the new QE? If it was the QE then it is anything but a liner. Not quite the condo stack of the QV inside and out but very close. At least the inside of the QE has the look of a real liner. No matter how one tries ten - fourteen stories above water line does not a classic liner make.

Hi Lakes region, I think you'll find that BluRiband is quite correct. Steven Paynes lecture is available on UTUBE under " Genisis of a Queen " , Ive often heard him tell the story of being on the QE2 when the Carnival sale was made and in actual fact the announcement was warmly welcomed by the crew on board as they knew money would then be spent on the line.

Steven Payne certainly did design the QM2.

BluRiband's timeline is correct. As you would expect by such a Cunard enthusiast.

Edited by roscoe39

Hi,

Yes, Stephen Payne definitely designed the QM2. I have two books that he has written on the design and construction of the ship.

In May 2001, I did a special Queen Mary / Queen Mary 2 theme crossing on the QE2. This crossing was intended to honor the 65th anniversary of the original Queen Mary and discuss the design of the QM2 that was in the planning stages at the time. Stephen Payne was one of the lecturers during the crossing and discussed how he was designing the ship. This was a very interesting crossing.

Chuck

Hi Lakes region, I think you'll find that BluRiband is quite correct. Steven Paynes lecture is available on UTUBE under " Genisis of a Queen " , Ive often heard him tell the story of being on the QE2 when the Carnival sale was made and in actual fact the announcement was warmly welcomed by the crew on board as they knew money would then be spent on the line.

Steven Payne certainly did design the QM2.

BluRiband's timeline is correct. As you would expect by such a Cunard enthusiast.

Thanks for the kind complement Steve. Those who only recently sailed Cunard for some reason believe that Carnival only recently acquired Cunard when in fact it was 1998. (Perhaps Peter Shank's "loosening" of the evening dress code and the Hamburg "rocker cruises" contributed to the charge of "Carnivalization".)

I'm now sure exactly what role Payne had in the "Baby Queens". He was Chief Naval Architect for Carnival and surely everything went through his office for review. But these were Vista designs - pre-designed shells that can be "customized". Didn't think of asking him that question when he came to this board in September 2013.

For those new to Cunard, here is a brief biography:

Stephen Payne (naval architect)

On a very short lunch break, but did not want to delay a quick thanks for all the very special comments. I was reluctant to make this post, as threads sometimes go downhill too often, and I doubt that I am alone in my hesitation. I am glad I was brave!

Jeanne

PS: I could surely tell many stories of things that have gone wrong for me on board. But, like your family, you love them anyway.

Amen to that! Ain't that the truth!

Cheers,

Salaica

Edited by Salacia

Hi Lakesregion,

As BlueRiband has suggested (thank you BlueRiband), Dr. Stephen Payne's "Genesis of a Queen" lecture is not to be missed, if you are fortune enough to be on board QM2 when he is giving the lecture :) .

Here we are, in the Royal Court Theatre on QM2's Tenth Anniversary crossing, May 2014 (waiting for the lecture to start, note the words on the screen... )

QM2 In the Royal Court Theatre

This was the last of a series of five lectures Dr. Payne gave on that crossing, here he is giving one of the earlier ones of the set, this time in Illuminations...

QM2 The first of Dr. Stephen Payne's five lectures

You should try to get a copy of his book "Queen Mary 2, The First Ten years" (or the previous version of it "RMS Queen Mary 2, Owners Workshop Manual" (Haynes)), full of interesting information.

There are many other books out there about QM2, some with introductions by Dr. Payne, and/or with chapters describing his design of QM2 (and many mention his childhood ambition to design a modern liner).

All best wishes,

Edited by pepperrn

I was on QE2 during a TA when QM2 was announced, and Mr. Payne was on board. A very special crossing. Of course, Ron Warwick was captain.

I was also on QE2 when Carnivore bought the company. Nick Bates was staff captain, and he didn't seem happy, but knew it was the salvation for the company.

Hi Jeanne ~ I share your feelings. I'll be back on board in less than two months...sailing over on QV at the end of April and returning on QM2 the same day we arrive in Soton. Wish I had some time to spend over there...maybe next time.

Jack,

I love the idea of two different ships for your RT. As I have told other QM2 friends, I'll take a transatlantic yet. It ain't over 'til it's over.

I am sure we will meet again. No worries. I would recognize your blue eyes across a room!

Jeanne

Well said, Jeanne. But remember that this grande dame isn't even a teenager yet.

Paul

Good point Paul. Perhaps when I used that phrase I was thinking of her elegance and stature.

I have taken 40 separate cruises on quite a few lines, but after my first on Mary, only once did I go on another line. For several years I went on her twice a year, but now just the Christmas. It is just a matter of time--I'll be the little old lady on the Grande Dame!

Jeanne

This was nice to read and thank you for refrencing my review!

I cannot stress that I too love the ship and the Cunard line as it really is the last link to the golden age of the ocean liners which the rest of today's market is nothing like!

I pointed out the things I did in my review not for hate, but more out of sadness that such a ship has been allowed to slip in some very basic areas! But one must always remember that Carnival is in charge now and perhaps they are yet to fully grasp the idea of such a famous ship and what it truly means to people like us?

I have no doubt that a proper dry docking, with some money ready to be spent will see the ship fully returned to all her 2004 glory!

My hope is that 30 years from now, she will be what the QE2 was, an icon that has stood the test of time, an old friend, a grand old lady... If she receives and continues to receive the right care now, there is no reason why it can't happen.

Long live the Queen. :)

Melb,

I understood completely. By the way, you have won my admiration for fortitude and perserverence in the challenges you have encountered.

Jeanne

Edited by Andiamo

....As I have told other QM2 friends, I'll take a transatlantic yet. It ain't over 'til it's over...

I hope you make a TA soon. I took two Caribbeans on QM2 before sailing a transatlantic - and learned how special it is. Never understood until then why some take B2B TAs.

I hope you make a TA soon. I took two Caribbeans on QM2 before sailing a transatlantic - and learned how special it is. Never understood until then why some take B2B TAs.

I appreciate the encouragement BlueRiband. It heightens the hope that it will come to pass sooner rather than later.

Jeanne