Changing an onboard booking

goodsailors

On our cruise last year we booked another cruise on QV for June this year, paying the low deposit and receiving the higher on board spend credit. Unfortunately due to my wife being ill we will no longer be able take up this cruise. Our TA has spoken to Cunard to see what can be done to rearrange the booking to another cruise within the next 12 months. The result is that Cunard wants £100 to change the booking to another cruise, they want the full 15% deposit and will not allow the on board credit to be carried forward to the new cruise.

Has anyone else been in this situation and had any success in carrying forward existing low deposit and on board credit or do I just have to accept it?

I fully acknowledge our situation is not the fault of Cunard but thought they might have been a bit more understanding.

That sounds a bit mean of Cunard considering the circumstances. Unfortunately the rules in the UK are that the future cruise deposit OBC can only be used on a booking made within 12 months. Also they charge us in the UK £50pp to change a booking.

Did you lose your deposit on the June booking? The balance for a June cruise would be due around now.

We asked to change our inside booking made onboard to an ocean view or better and learned we'd have to cancel and rebook (US booking so no loss of deposit). Our TA worked with Cunard to avoid an increase in the deposit but we lost one or two perks like a complimentary meal in the Veranda.

Five years ago my cruise on the Queen Victoria (Which I had booked over a year before) was cancelled with three weeks notice due to an engine fault. When I phoned Cunard to book another cruise I was told, very rudely, my OBC would not be transferred. I booked with another company instead.

That sounds a bit mean of Cunard considering the circumstances. Unfortunately the rules in the UK are that the future cruise deposit OBC can only be used on a booking made within 12 months. Also they charge us in the UK £50pp to change a booking.

Did you lose your deposit on the June booking? The balance for a June cruise would be due around now.

We can offset our original deposit against the deposit on the new cruise so we wont loose it. Have asked our TA to talk to Cunard again about carrying forward the OBC as the new cruise is within 12 months of the original one, so will wait and see what they say but not holding my breath!

Let us know about the OBC. I don't know what hardship it would be to them to let you keep it.

TA spoke with Cunard again today and was told that the OBC cannot be carried forward even although it is with 12 months of the original cruise. The operator checked with her manager and that was the final answer. So have now lost over $800 OBC !!! Looks like loyalty only works one way, (does that sound bitter lol).