Amber Cove/DR - gondola tour

beshears

Someone mentioned (we have never been to DR/AC) that there was a gondola tour to the top of the mountain there? If you have ever done this tour, or know anything about it, would you please give me a few details, as we plan to be there less than 2 months from now?

Thank you so much for sending me that YouTube to look at, very informative.

So, if you know, how do I find out how much this would cost to do this, how long (time wise) does it take to do it, and what do I "ask" for to get to this location to do this?

I am in the process of researching this for my cruise with a stop at Amber Cove on Carnival Conquest in April. Doing a search here on this cc forum for "teleferico" will yield several threads with information. Often a stop for the ride up and down with some time at the top is included in a Puerto Plato city tour, but you can also get a taxi there and back. http://www.ambercove.com/port-information/taxi-information.aspx Taxi rates posted on that page indicate $30 one way for 1 - 5 passengers.

It looks like the cost of the teleferico roundtrip is $10 per person.

$10 per person is just for the teleferico roundtrip. Roundtrip taxi fare would be $60 for 1 - 5 people. I guess that's fine if that is the only thing one is interested in doing. I am more interested in doing a tour of the area that includes the teleferico as well as Fort San Felipe, Malecon, the Amber Museum, central plaza and church, the Victorian houses, perhaps the rum factory and cigar factory. I have read it is best to do the teleferico first as later in the day clouds/fog set in. I am undecided whether to try to do it privately with a taxi or book a tour, such as this: https://marysoltours.net/en/puerto-plata-city-tours/. None of the ship tours offer exactly (or close enough) what I want plus they are usually so crowded.

Please post when you return what you did and how it was, and any info gathered from other cruisers you talk with.

We did this in December. We picked up a taxi tour outside the port; I believe it was $30pp. The driver pointed out the gondola (it's not really a tour by itself) as we went to Puerto Plata. After our sightseeing we decided to stop there. I thought it was $8pp, which is the ride up and down but it may have been $10--not sure.

At the top there are a lot of walking trails, trees, gardens and other things as well as places to get snacks or a light meal. You can stay as long as you like, depending on how long your driver will wait.

We probably spent 30-45 minutes at the top but didn't do many of the trails or other activities, due to time. The ride up and down was great with spectacular views. It was crowded going up, not so bad going down. Try to stand by the back window for air and better views. We enjoyed it a lot.

Our driver was very flexible and would have gone where we wanted; we mostly went where he suggested, as we didn't know the area. He took us to the central plaza, drove around some of the nicer areas of homes, along the malecon, with stops wherever we wanted; we spent some time walking along the beach and time at a seaside bar/grill for a snack. We also went to the fort. His English was just ok; a little hard to communicate but we got along.

We went on the gondola probably around 1-2. It was perfectly sunny going up--crowded in the gondola car--with beautiful views. Coming down we had patches of fog that came and went near the top; it wasn't thick and actually made the views and trip down quite spectacular, as the fog drifted in and out of the jungle.

Thanks for your reply - it was very helpful! This port is not the easiest to research, and what you did sounds like what I am looking for. I was thinking the gondola first but doing it on the way back to the ship might be better as you have a better feel for how much time you can spend exploring and relaxing at the top. Any more tips/suggestions for the day there?

We will be in Amber Cove on March 7 on the Regal Princess and have booked a tour with Marysol Tours for our group. Francisco has been wonderful to work with over the past few months. We are doing a private tour which includes the cable car, rum factory, amber museum, Fort San Filipe, Central Park, fruit market, Malecon, cigar factory. Tour looks great and covers everything we hope to see.

I'm going to keep this all in my notes. :) I am trying to "catch up," with all the info I need for next month, but it is hard, as I am getting to retire from my company this Friday after 19 years, and so many people coming by, etc., but I will get it done eventually, or some of it. :)

I'm going to keep this all in my notes. :) I am trying to "catch up," with all the info I need for next month, but it is hard, as I am getting to retire from my company this Friday after 19 years, and so many people coming by, etc., but I will get it done eventually, or some of it. :)

Wow, how exciting for you! Congratulations on your retirement!

We will be in Amber Cove on March 7 on the Regal Princess and have booked a tour with Marysol Tours for our group. Francisco has been wonderful to work with over the past few months. We are doing a private tour which includes the cable car, rum factory, amber museum, Fort San Filipe, Central Park, fruit market, Malecon, cigar factory. Tour looks great and covers everything we hope to see.

How many in your group and how much are you paying per person? Did you have to pre-pay/pay a deposit?

Please report on your tour when you return!

Thank you Kroozfoolz for your nice comment. Yes my retirement of almost 19 years was beyond speakable this past Friday. It was to be a "small" retirement party, and the CEO flew in from New York, just to "talk" about me and how much the company (DFA - Borden/Frito Lay Starbucks, etc) and people appreciated me. To say the least I was more than overwhelmed. It is something I will never forget, and just celebrating my 74th birthday the Saturday before (most people think I look 10 years younger), I am thankful to God that I have been blessed this long in many ways. :)

Thank you Kroozfoolz for your nice comment. Yes my retirement of almost 19 years was beyond speakable this past Friday. It was to be a "small" retirement party, and the CEO flew in from New York, just to "talk" about me and how much the company (DFA - Borden/Frito Lay Starbucks, etc) and people appreciated me. To say the least I was more than overwhelmed. It is something I will never forget, and just celebrating my 74th birthday the Saturday before (most people think I look 10 years younger), I am thankful to God that I have been blessed this long in many ways. :)

Yes, that sounds very overwhelming and something to always remember and cherish!

Now, relax and enjoy your cruise! You deserve it!