Passport renewal?

cruiseintoheaven

Hi everyone - our passports expire in sept. 2016, and we are booked on the Crown in May to Alaska. My understanding is that passports have to be good for 6 months post cruise so we plan to renew before then.....but, we are also considering a quick getaway in January or February to escape the cold. Would we be better off renewing now to be on the safe side, or would we have plenty of time to do so after our potential getaway in Jan/Feb? Thanks!

Hi everyone - our passports expire in sept. 2016, and we are booked on the Crown in May to Alaska. My understanding is that passports have to be good for 6 months post cruise so we plan to renew before then.....but, we are also considering a quick getaway in January or February to escape the cold. Would we be better off renewing now to be on the safe side, or would we have plenty of time to do so after our potential getaway in Jan/Feb? Thanks!

The State Department's official website (http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports.html) indicates that you should have plenty of time to apply for a new passport after your winter getaway:

Processing Times

Routine 4-5 Weeks Expedited 2-3 Weeks Expedited at Agency 5 Business Days

I would do it after your Jan cruise It can take a few months to renew and you might not have it back in time if you do it now. I did mine this past July and it took over 2 months to get it back.

I just renewed my passport. It upsets me that I "lose" more than 6 months every time I do this. It would have expired in June so I renewed it in October because of pending trips. Such is the way.

It did not take very long for me to get it back. The post office/passport office recommends it to be sent in a particular priority sized envelope for tracking. You can fill out the form online and then print it out.

Passports will take a little longer in 2016 since more people will need to apply for one. Something about 4 states do not comply with proper identification (drivers license) so a passport will be required for those airports.

You will have plenty of time after your January get away to apply for your renewed passport.

Just renewed ours in October...they didn't expire until August, 2016, but we have a cruise in late January and a river cruise in June and I just didn't want to chance delays in the spring...from sending them in for regular processing until receipt it took less than four weeks.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Personally I would renew now, then you are good to go until 2025.

Passports will take a little longer in 2016 since more people will need to apply for one. Something about 4 states do not comply with proper identification (drivers license) so a passport will be required for those airports..............

Maybe and maybe not. I live in one of those states (Arizona) and the current driver's license does not comply with the Federal Real ID requirements for using it as an ID to fly domestically in the US. The license will need to comply by a certain date in 2016 in order to use it as an ID for domestic flights. The good news is that in April of 2016 Arizona will re-issue your DL so it is complaint with the Fed requirements. My guess is that the other states will probably do something similar. In Arizona it will cost $5.00, however, that will be a lot less than getting a passport if you don't need one. :cool:

Edited by ar1950

You really don't require that 6 months for an Alaska cruise . Canada only requires that the passport be valid for 30 days after the cruise .

That 6 month statement is the cruise lines take on the rules . They apply this for all cruises regardless of they cruise to.

You really don't require that 6 months for an Alaska cruise . Canada only requires that the passport be valid for 30 days after the cruise .

That 6 month statement is the cruise lines take on the rules . They apply this for all cruises regardless of they cruise to.

This is what I was about to point out--it depends on where you are going and what the purpose of the passport is.

For instance, on a Caribbean closed loop cruise where a passport is not legally required (but we choose to use it anyhow), the passport is valid until the stated expiration date.

The 6 month rule is imposed by SOME countries in order to enter there; unfortunately it has been repeated so often that some people think it means you can't use a passport anywhere unless it has 6 months of remain validity. Canada's rule is 30 days, not 6 months. Unfortunately, the cruise line may impose a 6 month rule.

Currently, renewals are only taking 3-4 weeks depending on which center is processing them I'd renew after your January trip.

Ours expire next Nov. We typically do not do a lot of summer cruises b/c of going to PR for a trip and to Wis for a family reunion so I will send ours in first part of June to make sure we have them back before we start cruising again in Aug. We cruise almost every month except Jun/Jul so have to get it done. I also don't like that you basically lose 6 months, but it is what it is and you have to deal with it.

In the Western Hemisphere the 6 months is only a recommendation, it is not a rule. You may use your passport to re-enter the US up until the day it expires. If you want to re-new your passport 6 months early you certainly may, but it isn't required (after all, you can cruise on a closed loop cruise with a birth certificate so it wouldn't make sense for a country to insist that passport holders renew early).

In the Western Hemisphere the 6 months is only a recommendation, it is not a rule. /quote]

That is not true when entering foreign countries (I looked up Mexico for example and it is 6 months as are other Central American countries; Panama is 3). American passport holders should check the State Department's website (http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country.html) for country specific requirements and not take anything they read on a cruise critic forum as gospel.

Edited by capriccio

The six month thing is incorrect. Those times apply to people entering a country not people in transit on a cruise. You don't need to worry about renewing for your winter getaway, and really can wait until after you get back from your AK cruise to renew.

That is not true when entering foreign countries (I looked up Mexico for example and it is 6 months as are other Central American countries; Panama is 3). American passport holders should check the State Department's website (http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country.html) for country specific requirements and not take anything they read on a cruise critic forum as gospel.

There are exceptions for cruise ship passengers who are considered to be in transit.

Maybe and maybe not. I live in one of those states (Arizona) and the current driver's license does not comply with the Federal Real ID requirements for using it as an ID to fly domestically in the US. The license will need to comply by a certain date in 2016 in order to use it as an ID for domestic flights. The good news is that in April of 2016 Arizona will re-issue your DL so it is complaint with the Fed requirements. My guess is that the other states will probably do something similar. In Arizona it will cost $5.00, however, that will be a lot less than getting a passport if you don't need one. :cool:

NY State has an extension in place until October 2016.

http://dmv.ny.gov/driver-license/about-federal-real-id

Enhanced Drivers License is available for extra money. Most people don't know about the issue with changes with flying domestic and not being able to use their present drivers license. I'll just take my passport.

Edited by dinek1

In the Western Hemisphere the 6 months is only a recommendation, it is not a rule. /quote]

You are correct. Nor does it address the requirements of specific cruise lines, which may have more stringent requirements than local government agencies.

Beware the seemingly self-proclaimed CC international travel "experts" who have a few Caribbean closed loop cruises under their belt.

The six month rule does not apply to Alaska since AK is part of US. Nor does it apply to Canada if that is one of your ports. Is your cruise line requiring the six months past travel??

Edited by NMLady

You are correct. Nor does it address the requirements of specific cruise lines, which may have more stringent requirements than local government agencies.

Beware the seemingly self-proclaimed CC international travel "experts" who have a few Caribbean closed loop cruises under their belt.

I am sorry that my posts are so upsetting to you that you have to try to make it personal and I am sorry that our government actually gives travelers choices. All I've ever tried to do is tell people what the requirements are and then let them make their decision. I don't get pontifical and start lecturing them about economics or the way they should be spending their money.