Large Group Seeking For Galveston Hotel With Good Social Area

surfergina

I'm having a large group joining with me (+150) for a pre-cruise one night stay at one of any Galveston hotel. Due to cost, we decided not to rent a ballroom for social party, but decided to try using the hotel's bar, poolside, or whatever they have spaces for them.

Do you know any hotels that might fit for us? Looking for a hotel with large lobby, bar, or poolside area for one-night social.

Such a large group is going to put a strain on any hotel's facility.

The larger hotels are the San Luis, Hilton and Moody Gardens.

I would definitely check with them first as they may accommodate you in a private facility at no charge. They would have to bring in additional staff to meet your needs as well as other guests.

None of these have a large bar area. There are also occupancy restrictions due to fire codes which could play a major role in not allowing a group to meet in a public area. This would apply to all hotels.

Galveston is a major tourist and event destination with two first class convention

Centers. I suggest you call Visitors and Convention Bureau to explore the possibilities. But with 150 visitors for an event unless you hold it on the beach and provide the services you need is a tough proposition.

There is location on the port with 4 restaurants right around where many large events are held . This property is owned by Mitchell Properties and operated by port of Galveston would be a possibility with the bars and restaurants to support your event.

I'm not sure what contractual arrangement that would be needed by them.

They own Harbor House , Galvez and Tremont Hotels but do not operate hotels or the restaurants.

Also the maritime museum, oil well museum , historic tall ship Elissa , historical films venue are also located on premises.

Contact them for event planning.

Also every six weeks an open public event occurs . Like a block party.

But a Galveston Event.

Art Walk is downtown mainly on Post Office Street.

If your Saturday night coincides with this event you could just join the party.

There is also a park on the Strand in Old town open to public and large enough for gathering.

With that large a group and an event the city may require something though.

Good luck

Edited by ssb

I'm having a large group joining with me (+150) for a pre-cruise one night stay at one of any Galveston hotel. Due to cost, we decided not to rent a ballroom for social party, but decided to try using the hotel's bar, poolside, or whatever they have spaces for them.

Do you know any hotels that might fit for us? Looking for a hotel with large lobby, bar, or poolside area for one-night social.

no one is going to let a group that large 'take over' any public area.

you will need to book a private venue. furthermore I doubt any hotel could accommodate a group that large unless you arrange for a group booking ..and when I worked in the industry that was 6 months to a year MINIMUM before you could choose a date.

Like others, I cannot imagine a group of 150 people without a special reservation all being welcomed to take over a public space in a hotel. If that worked well, far few groups would reserve space for parties and receptions and such.

Are all 150 people staying at the hotel that night, or are some of them locals who will head home after the social event? If everybody needs a room, you probably havtsetse reserve a blck of rooms at one of the larger Galveston hotels along with some some of gathering space.

Good luck.

• 6 months later...

Check out Moody Gardens.

I am staying there with a large group pre cruise also.

The customer service (contract, details, communication, etc) has been excellent.