My reason for cruising solo

gloje

I just finished reading the articles posted about solo cruising. I thought they were informative. We all have different reasons for cruising solo so I thought I would offer my reason for solo cruising in the hope of encouraging others who have similar circumstances.

The main reason for cruising solo is that I am widowed. My husband died 4 years ago in August. We owned our own 34' Mainship Trawler, and had hoped to cruise the inside passage to Alaska. After he died I had to sell the boat as I couldn't run it on my own and I couldn't afford it. Since I didn't want to give up my love of the sea, I decided to start cruising on my own.

I absolutely love it. I have sailed exclusively with Princess. I am now an elite member of the captain's circle. They have treated me very well. I am always warmly welcomed aboard by various crew members. I am usually treated like, well, a princess.

It's true I have to pay the entire "double occupancy" price, but I don't let that deter me. I determine my vacation budget yearly and my options and then I book accordingly. I prefer not having a cabin mate. And, I always book a balcony room so I can get away from the crowds whenever I desire.

Cruising is a safe way for a solo traveler to enjoy a vacation--especially a senior woman. If you choose to go on excursions and book through the cruise line, you are more than likely to be safe. You can meet many fellow passengers this way as well. Don't do anything on board that might bring about a grief burst, however. For me, that would be going to a lounge and watching couples dancing. I avoid it and then I don't have to spend time upset about my circumstances.

I vary my dining from traditional to any time dining. As time goes on, I am leaning more to any time dining. This past cruise to Alaska, in May, was the first time I shared a table during any time dining. It was delightful as I met many new people. There was only one night I asked for a table by myself because I wasn't up to conversing. On my next cruise in November, I have chosen any time dining and I will choose to share a table nightly.

Especially if you are a woman and want to enjoy a great vacation, I recommend solo cruising. You can be as involved as you choose to be. Book your excursions and enjoy your ports of call. Mingle with other guests at dinner time and meet some new, interesting people. Attend the lectures by the naturalist on board and learn some interesting facts about the area you are visiting. Enjoy a wine tasting and meet new people. Book a time in the spa or have some salon services performed. Enjoy reading on your balcony. Whatever you do, enjoy your solo cruise. It can be done. Plan your budget accordingly and don't complain about the pricing. Life is really too short to do nothing, if you find yourself without you life's partner. I know my husband would be thankful I am living and have found a way to enjoy being on the sea again.

Bon Voyage!!!

My reason for cruising solo: I'd rather go alone than not go at all.

In fact, that's my reason for other types of solo travels too (road trips and other types of land vacations). I wasn't going to wait around for others to have the appropriate time, money, and desire available - I realized I could be waiting forever, and that would be a shame.

I just need to cruise. If I can go with someone great, but will cruise on my own now that some cruise lines are building single rooms and taking care of solo travellers.

I have done hosted singles cruises and they aren't for me. My one and only hosted singles cruise was not a fun experience. Felt there was a group of people all travelling together and when there was organized events(speed dating) they would bypass people not part of their group.

I didn't let it ruin my cruise, but avoided most of the organized events and just did my own thing

I just finished reading the articles posted about solo cruising. I thought they were informative. We all have different reasons for cruising solo so I thought I would offer my reason for solo cruising in the hope of encouraging others who have similar circumstances.

The main reason for cruising solo is that I am widowed. My husband died 4 years ago in August. We owned our own 34' Mainship Trawler, and had hoped to cruise the inside passage to Alaska. After he died I had to sell the boat as I couldn't run it on my own and I couldn't afford it. Since I didn't want to give up my love of the sea, I decided to start cruising on my own.

I absolutely love it. I have sailed exclusively with Princess. I am now an elite member of the captain's circle. They have treated me very well. I am always warmly welcomed aboard by various crew members. I am usually treated like, well, a princess.

It's true I have to pay the entire "double occupancy" price, but I don't let that deter me. I determine my vacation budget yearly and my options and then I book accordingly. I prefer not having a cabin mate. And, I always book a balcony room so I can get away from the crowds whenever I desire.

Cruising is a safe way for a solo traveler to enjoy a vacation--especially a senior woman. If you choose to go on excursions and book through the cruise line, you are more than likely to be safe. You can meet many fellow passengers this way as well. Don't do anything on board that might bring about a grief burst, however. For me, that would be going to a lounge and watching couples dancing. I avoid it and then I don't have to spend time upset about my circumstances.

I vary my dining from traditional to any time dining. As time goes on, I am leaning more to any time dining. This past cruise to Alaska, in May, was the first time I shared a table during any time dining. It was delightful as I met many new people. There was only one night I asked for a table by myself because I wasn't up to conversing. On my next cruise in November, I have chosen any time dining and I will choose to share a table nightly.

Especially if you are a woman and want to enjoy a great vacation, I recommend solo cruising. You can be as involved as you choose to be. Book your excursions and enjoy your ports of call. Mingle with other guests at dinner time and meet some new, interesting people. Attend the lectures by the naturalist on board and learn some interesting facts about the area you are visiting. Enjoy a wine tasting and meet new people. Book a time in the spa or have some salon services performed. Enjoy reading on your balcony. Whatever you do, enjoy your solo cruise. It can be done. Plan your budget accordingly and don't complain about the pricing. Life is really too short to do nothing, if you find yourself without you life's partner. I know my husband would be thankful I am living and have found a way to enjoy being on the sea again.

Bon Voyage!!!

My reasons are much the same as yours and I love solo cruising now. I also pay the double occupancy price (don't want a roommate) and book a balcony because half the fun is sitting and watching the sea go by. I mostly cruise Celebrity or HAL because of the size of the ships, the smaller the better. Enjoy your solo cruises everyone, life really is short. :)

Sue

My reason- I am forced to (maybe LOL, DH will more than likely be stuck at work since someone in his small department quit). BUT, I threatened to go on this cruise solo initially anyway. I got such a good deal ($966 for an inside cabin, 8 days, San Juan, St. Thomas, Grand Turk, no airfare needed) I wasn't going to pass it up. My husband decided to "ok" the vacation simply because he could find no excuse not to- all signs pointed to us saying yes. This was a last minute thing, and we actually already did our annual summer vacation, but since we've never been to these ports and will basically have an all inclusive vacation for $60/day we couldn't pass it up. Even if he can't go, I'm once again going solo- I will miss him, and while he is supportive, he is a bit taken aback that I will still go without him -he called me "ballsy" hahaha!! I told him if thats the case there are tons of solo cruisers who are "ballsy" on cruise critic then- why should we have to wait for someone else to accompany us to enjoy life. Whether we travel solo because of the loss of a loved one, family and friends dragging their feet, or simply because we want to enjoy ourselves by ourselves- the fact remains that we are confident enough in ourselves to be able to have a good time, even without a partner. I am glad that there are other solo cruisers out there (or those like me who are willing to be if necessary). We've got one life to live- let's enjoy it!:D

Hello everyone! I do not understand... Why I have to justify and defend why I cruise solo? Am I considred as a loser? Am I considered a second class person? Or do you married people consider me as a dangeresly person -maybe I will steal your dear wife or husband? Just because that I am confident enought to do things by my own? It does not mean that (because you envy me that I do travel alone) have to be mean to me. You have no idea why I or nwhy I prefer to travel solo./Chris 58

Hello everyone! I do not understand... Why I have to justify and defend why I cruise solo? Am I considred as a loser? Am I considered a second class person? Or do you married people consider me as a dangeresly person -maybe I will steal your dear wife or husband? Just because that I am confident enought to do things by my own? It does not mean that (because you envy me that I do travel alone) have to be mean to me. You have no idea why I or nwhy I prefer to travel solo./Chris 58

Hi, I didn't think the original poster was trying make anyone justify

why they cruise solo. I think it was more of a "general question" about

the topic of "cruising solo" and not sure why you thought she meant

anyone is a loser or a 2nd class citizen:confused:...I did not get that from

the post at all.

I have been cruising solo for 10 years and I love it:) I certainly

don't consider myself a loser:eek:.

I travel on my own for various reasons.....mostly because I love it:D

but also, I have nobody else to travel with and that is ok with me.

I like my own company;) and I meet people very easily anyway.

Cruising is a piece of cake....(for me anyway). I love doing what

I want, when I want, or don't want.....I have lived on my own for

many, many years and I have no desire to ever share a cabin.

Solo cruising is AWESOME:D

Hi, I didn't think the original poster was trying make anyone justify

why they cruise solo. I think it was more of a "general question" about

the topic of "cruising solo" and not sure why you thought she meant

anyone is a loser or a 2nd class citizen:confused:...I did not get that from

the post at all.

I have been cruising solo for 10 years and I love it:) I certainly

don't consider myself a loser:eek:.

I travel on my own for various reasons.....mostly because I love it:D

but also, I have nobody else to travel with and that is ok with me.

I like my own company;) and I meet people very easily anyway.

Cruising is a piece of cake....(for me anyway). I love doing what

I want, when I want, or don't want.....I have lived on my own for

many, many years and I have no desire to ever share a cabin.

Solo cruising is AWESOME:D

Ditto!! I love solo cruising and don't feel I have to justify it to anyone.

Sue

To the person who was upset thinking that I thought Solo cruisers are losers or 2nd class citizens, I am sorry you read that into the post. I posted only as a way to encourage others, who may be on the fence about Solo cruising, to be encouraged that it can work. How you got the impression I consider those of us who cruise Solo, losers, well, I am still trying to figure that one out.

I am encouraged that there are folks out cruising, whether married or single, and enjoying the experience. Isn't that what it all comes down to?

I hope this clarifies the issue for you.

I don't think anyone was asking for a justification on why we cruise solo. I think it was more of a conversation. In fact this very question has been asked before multiple times here. There are countless articles to be read on the very subject on blogs, magazines, and travel sites. I doubt anyone meant any offense.

If you go on a cruise thinking that people see you alone and automatically think you are a creep because you are alone or that you are a loser, then you will more than likely not have a good time.

I personally would love to go on a cruise with friends but I don't want to share a room. I like my privacy. I don't have a girlfriend and I'm not going to let that keep me from a great vacation. In fact it's no one's business why you are alone on a cruise. You are the one who chooses to share or not to share while making conversation with someone on the ship. This very question was asked during dinner, while I sat in a hallway, at shows, and on excursions. Not once was anyone rude. In fact several replies were "wow I wish I could do something like that" or "good for you!"

Cruising alone you have the freedom that many people don't. You can do whatever you want and when you want it. I am the responsible one. If I go with a bunch of friends, I'm usually the one worried about schedules, keeping the drunks out of trouble, and other things like that. I would rather not bother with it. Cruising is an escape and I don't need the same bull I deal with following me on a vacation.

So no one is asking you to justify your reasons, just to share and make conversations. Because in fact, you might encourage someone else to take the cruise they've always wanted to but haven't because they are alone.

My reasons:

I'm single ATM and if I wait for someone to want to travel with me, I'll be waiting forever.

I love getting away and not being able to be reached.

I thought I would be able to meet other solo cruisers, but during my first cruise, most travelers my age traveled with SOs

I love doing what I want, when I want and on my schedule

Edited by WorldsMine

Years ago, in the late 90s, I wanted to do Alaska and was solo for the first time in a while. I signed up for a 2 week "university at sea" program on a 25,000 ton ship and it was wonderful.

When I visited my dad in NY, I liked to hop on a ship for 5 or 7 nights roundtrip to Canada. I think these trips helped me to develop a solo cruising personality.

In the last few years I've cruised over the Christmas/New Years holidays. Cruising is a wonderful way for a solo traveler to vacation. Some years I've been mostly on my own and some years I've met others to hang out with. I'm not the most independent traveler but I find spending time alone on a ship comfortable and enjoy doing excursions with the cruise ship or bumming around a port I'm comfortable with on my own. Faith

• 4 weeks later...
To the person who was upset thinking that I thought Solo cruisers are losers or 2nd class citizens, I am sorry you read that into the post. I posted only as a way to encourage others, who may be on the fence about Solo cruising, to be encouraged that it can work. How you got the impression I consider those of us who cruise Solo, losers, well, I am still trying to figure that one out.

I am encouraged that there are folks out cruising, whether married or single, and enjoying the experience. Isn't that what it all comes down to?

I hope this clarifies the issue for you.

I didn't think chris was responding to the thread but more to the general public--who don't read this thread. At least that's how I chose to interpret the comments.

Sometimes I cruise with friends or family. It seems like though that since I am retired it's harder to get those people to go because of their obligations at home or work. I want to cruise while I can! When I worked, I could only go during school breaks, and even then I seldom went.

Now, the only thing is arranging care for my dog, and getting transportation to the port. Now, I know why I worked for so many years...to be able to go, go, go!

I didn't think chris was responding to the thread but more to the general public--who don't read this thread. At least that's how I chose to interpret the comments.

That's how I took it as well. :)

For the most part, people are nice to me on board but I do get the occasional look of horror or pity :rolleyes: when I tell them I am by myself.

I like sailing solo. Most of my first cruises were solo, then I found a couple friends to cruise with and save money, but I started to miss my solo trips so I've got one coming up in December, and then I'll sail with friends in January.

My reasons for sailing solo are simply that I am not married, and most of my friends are either married or too broke to take vacations (or both). Then there are a few friends who have the time, and the money to cruise but while I like them, and am friends with them, there is NO WAY in heck I'd share a cabin with them for a whole week :eek: :D I don't like them THAT much (and some of them snore).

It would be nice to find a permanent cruise buddy (aka husband) but so far, life hasn't sent me down the right path for that. Maybe someday :)

That's how I took it as well. :)

For the most part, people are nice to me on board but I do get the occasional look of horror or pity :rolleyes: when I tell them I am by myself.

I like sailing solo. Most of my first cruises were solo, then I found a couple friends to cruise with and save money, but I started to miss my solo trips so I've got one coming up in December, and then I'll sail with friends in January.

My reasons for sailing solo are simply that I am not married, and most of my friends are either married or too broke to take vacations (or both). Then there are a few friends who have the time, and the money to cruise but while I like them, and am friends with them, there is NO WAY in heck I'd share a cabin with them for a whole week :eek: :D I don't like them THAT much (and some of them snore).

It would be nice to find a permanent cruise buddy (aka husband) but so far, life hasn't sent me down the right path for that. Maybe someday :)

I agree with you I'm divorced and wasn't blessed with children - it's just me and my little dog. My friends are either to broke, to busy, to something and for years I didn't even think about solo cruising. This November I'm going a cruise with my cousin but I'm already planning my next cruise and I know if I go it will have to be solo. So I'm going to do it!! I enjoy my own company on land so why not on sea

I agree with you I'm divorced and wasn't blessed with children - it's just me and my little dog. My friends are either to broke, to busy, to something and for years I didn't even think about solo cruising. This November I'm going a cruise with my cousin but I'm already planning my next cruise and I know if I go it will have to be solo. So I'm going to do it!! I enjoy my own company on land so why not on sea

Way to go Cherie!

Thanks gloje for you points, I know many people are concerned about travelling solo and your post helps with that.

I haven't cruised solo yet but have travelled solo and have done a few small group tours as a single.

I am actually looking forward to a solo cruise next year after reading posts on here about it not being as scary as I thought. :D I haven't booked one yet but have already arranged time off work in June/July. My reason for travelling solo is that my hubby doesn't get as many holidays as me and he's not really that interested in travel anyway.

Chris- I hope that's not the response you get from everyone. Sure there are some people that may judge you for being solo but they aren't the sort of people you want to associate with anyway.

Happy cruising everyone. Enjoy!!

Edited by sayaguru

• 2 weeks later...

Two years ago, my wife and I split up. I always wanted to go on a cruise, but she always wanted to go to Las Vegas or visit her family (who I still dearly love but always ended up with a list of "projects" they needed my help with). Either of those choices were just not the relaxing vacation I craved.

I'm a long haul truck driver and, especially now being single, spend anywhere between 1-4 months on the road before going home. So, with my divorce in process last year, I decided it was finally time for a cruise to get away from life's stresses. I cruised the Carnival Valor last December. I can honestly say that I've never been more relaxed in my life than I was on my cruise. Whether it was breakfast on my balcony, wandering the ship & ports, spending time with a couple of solos I met on the roll call, or just chilling out in the Paris Hot Lounge with a nice cigar & scotch, I did what I wanted when I wanted.

Fast forward to the present day: as of this past June, I am officially single and in a month (12/01/13) I'll board the Conquest, not to run from the stresses of my life this time, but to just relax and enjoy the amazing world we live in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

November 11 on the Enchantment will be my first SOLO cruise. My wife isn't able to get off work and the deal was too good to pass up. Additionally with the double points I will be diamond for our upcoming cruise in February. I find the idea of sailing SOLO quite exciting. I'll let you know how it works out.

I always thought about taking a singles cruise because my dh doesn't want " to be stuck" on the ocean for a week. Lol. I went with a family member who was kinda a bore and whiny. My April cruise I am going with a girlfriend who has never cruised and I am hoping she loves it. If not I will seriously consider cruising alone. Reading this thread has convinced me I can do it :)

Jamie

• 4 weeks later...
I'm very happily married. Solo cruising helps keep me that way. :D

Caro

There you go! :D

I love, traveling with my husband, I love traveling with friends I love traveling alone. Cruising solo allows me time to just be with me and sometimes that what's needed.

Usually DH doesn't want to go - finds "at sea" days boring. I have found, too, that I'd rather be solo than "alone in a room full of people." Just wish solo cruising wasn't so expensive - that keeps me cruising sometimes with a friend or relative, but solo cruising is definitely worth saving for.