Norwegian Gem's Captain Diverts Cruise to Rescue Distressed Sailors

Bemis

http://www.blueridgenow.com/article/20111029/APN/1110290753

The Coast Guard received a notification Saturday morning that the 39-foot sailing vessel Sanctuary was taking on water and that its life raft had washed overboard.

The Coast Guard asked the captain of the cruise ship Norwegian Gem to assist and dispatched a C-130 Hercules crew from Air Station Elizabeth City in North Carolina to locate the vessel.

The Norwegian Gem diverted its course and rescued the five people on board the boat. The sailors' nationality and ages weren't immediately available.

NCL just posted a story on Facebook about the Gem and how the Captain and crew rescued 5 people from a sinking sailboat.

"We are so proud of Norwegian Gem for their heroic rescue of five from a sinking sailboat under extreme weather conditions. Norwegian Gem responded to a call from the US Coast Guard who had received a distress notification from Sanctuary, a 39-foot sailboat. Captain Hakan Svedung immediately diverted course to rescue the four men and one woman aboard.

“This rescue operation was conducted under extremely difficult circumstances,” said Captain Svedung. “I am proud of our crew who braved their lives to rescue the five people in distress.”"

Hi,

I am on Gem now headed back to New York. The rescue operation was an awesome experience to witness. All sailors safe so a very happy ending to rescue.

We had a great cruise - beautiful weather in Bermuda but not so much today. Ship is really rocking tonight.

No complaints here - awesome time this week. We sailed in the Owners Suite on deck 9 way up front so I think we are feeling the movement quite a bit more than passengers in the middle.

Hope everyone headed to the Gem tomorrow enjoys their cruise and that your weather is great. Still can't believe we are coming back to October snow.

Good job, Gem! I was on the Disney Magic a few years back, and the captain told me they had diverted to assist on an earlier cruise (but assistance arrived before the Magic, so they went on their way).

Unlike on land, where you don't get prosecuted for driving past someone in need, maritime law requires you to render assistance if it doesn't put your own life or property at risk. You are entitled to compensation if you save them (including "salvage" of their boat).

If you see the sailboat being towed behind the GEM, NCL has added another ship to their fleet!

I wonder if the Gem received any press coverage of this. Seems like there would be some press to meet and interview the rescue crew and the rescued passengers. NCL should get good recognition for this.

Unfortunately, the press seems to only like to cover bad things about cruise ships....:rolleyes:

I wonder if the Gem received any press coverage of this. Seems like there would be some press to meet and interview the rescue crew and the rescued passengers. NCL should get good recognition for this.

Unfortunately, the press seems to only like to cover bad things about cruise ships....:rolleyes:

yeah...that seems to be the way, huh? kinda like reporting all unneccessary news on L. Lohan...when people should really know all about that Eagle Scout project going on in their area. THAT'S NEWS! :D

My partner and I were on this cruise. We just docked a little while ago, barely late, which is amazing considering the six hours lost to the rescue as well as the huge storm we sailed through last night. All credit to the Captain and the amazing crew who successfully conducted the rescue under dangerous conditions involving high winds and huge swells. It was amazing to witness. I am glad the Gem was able to get to that sailboat in time; it was no place to be without power.

NCL should be very proud of Capt Svedung and of the brave crew who were lowered into the lifeboat and went off in rough seas to rescue the sailors. The sea conditions made it very difficult to get the lifeboat and all on her back aboard the Gem, but this was finally accomplished. I will post pics later when I am home, and I am sure that others who live closer will do the same even sooner.

Again, well done!!

Archived