Vista Alcohol - is it true?

sunlite

I am reading that they are letting you bring Alcohol on Vista embarkation, not just wine or Champagne.

Can anyone confirm this?

Also it states that on European cruises, you can bring alcohol on from port and bring to your cabin.

hmmm who has been on Vista and can comment?

I am reading that they are letting you bring Alcohol on Vista embarkation, not just wine or Champagne.

Can anyone confirm this?

Also it states that on European cruises, you can bring alcohol on from port and bring to your cabin.

We took vodka & wine on at Barcelona, they have X-ray machines when you enter the port building so think you might get pulled up there, however next to the check in desks is a duty free, tad expensive €25 for vodka which we pay £15 at home & €6.50 for wine but cheaper than buying on board with vat..

We boarded with bourbon and wine at Barcelona. It is port security at Barcelona prior to boarding, NOT Carnival security. The port security have no interest in what alcohol you are taking onboard, that's not their priority. We bought alcohol on board at 4 or 5 other ports. We made no specific attempt to conceal and were quite prepared to hand over if challenged - but we weren't. We just took the opportunity for a drink or two on the balcony before heading out for the evening. Do not buy alcohol at the cruise terminal as it is massively over priced - thete are plenty of supermarkets in Barceloma.

We have done 4 Med cruises with Carnival over the last few years and will be on the Vista on 13th September. We have never been prevented from bringing alcohol on board

Edited by bluwes

Can anyone confirm this?

I'm assuming this is due to the European Itinerary. I doubt Carnival would allow that on an Eastern Caribbean cruise.

Can anyone confirm this?

We literally walked into the store at the port in Barcelona, bought Vodka and Bailey's, and walked on holding it. We didn't even try to conceal it and no one said a thing.

Can anyone confirm if they were able to due this during embarkation in Athens?

Carnival are turning a blind eye which is not the same as telling you that you can bring on what you want.

I brought on in Barcelona a bottle of vodka and rum (along with the 2 legal wine bottles). In Naples one of our group brought on a couple of bottles.

In Barcelona luggage was checked by port staff. In other ports by port security AND carnival. I appreciate your question was specific, but I'm certain it'll be the same. Obviously carnival could change this at any time though I personally doubt this will happen within Europe.

We are currently in Marseille .... And have 4 unopened bottles in our room brought on in Barcelona! Lol - what a waste that was!

Edited by les37b

Is there a mini bar/fridge in the cabin, if so is it large enough to store bottle/s wine, and a few beers ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are mini fridges in every cabin on the vista. Not sure about storing wine, but beer yes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Is there a mini bar/fridge in the cabin, if so is it large enough to store bottle/s wine, and a few beers ?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Fridge wasn't big enough to to get a large bottle of water in stood up straight, however it fitted in on an angle and other small bottles too, it has a little wire shelf at the top which I presume was originally for mini spirits laying flat..

I hope this is still O K for Oct 1st cruise and do you know the cost of a pint of lager is it plus 10% plus 15% plus !! cant follow this

The pour your own was about $5 , funny thing is you still pay a gratuity even tho you serve yourself. I did such a great job pouring the beer i left a bigger tip.

The pour your own was about $5 , funny thing is you still pay a gratuity even tho you serve yourself. I did such a great job pouring the beer i left a bigger tip.

Haha :p

The same pint you poured yourself was over $7 from the bar.

Not sure where the 1st October starts from or goes to.

Is it the TA cruise? If yes, the only vat you should be paying is actually in ports.

In short tax on purchases on board should be as follows... If only it was being done properly.... It seems to change with the wind!

If your cruise starts in Spain without leaving the EU then food and drink should attract 10%. From Greece it's a whopping 24%

If you leave the EU then only in port will you be charged any tax.

At least that IS what should happen. I think carnival are rolling dice at the moment as the 3 August cruises have all been charged differently and not one has followed the rules correctly. The bad news is the latest announcement shows they've learnt nothing and getting it even more wrong. (I'm mostly referring to cheers on that remark... But not just packages. There were errors throughout. A few in my roll call will be seeking refunds from their CC company for purchases they applied 21% when it should have been 10. They will win too.