QE2 news, saved or scrapped ?

carlmm

Will the beloved Queen Elizabeth 2 be saved or srcapped?

According to a report on maritime matters the new owners run out of money.

http://www.maritimematters.com/shipnews.html

The author cites sources from Dubai that it is considered to open the ship again without alterations. Selling for scap would be another option.

Maybe Cunard could lease it back until SOLAS regulations kick in and hopefully the economy improves. Then again, would they be able to fill the ship and run her profitably? I suspect most of QE2's fans are somewhat relieved at hearing this news, but concerned about her ultimate fate.

KenM

Ships are very expensive to maintain. There is a reason why you see constant chipping and repainting along with revarnishing while the ship is underway. That also explains why the QM is one of the few ships that have been turned into a "hotel/tourist site" Although it has had cash flow issues.

The best hope is that Dubai has patience and will maintain the ship in the meantime, otherwise it will turn into another S. S. United States. I.E. layed up in some port rusting away, otherwise it could be sent to the breakers.

For me the only two things I would want to happen to the ship is:

1- Goes back into service

2- Resurrected as Seawise University 2

3- Is placed as a hotel anywhere other than Dubai however nothing is touched.

4- You are born, you live, you prosper, you die. Goes to Alang.

All better than being used as some cheap entertaintment centre for drunk Arabs.... (not meant as racist I am an Arab)

For me the only two things I would want to happen to the ship is:

1- Goes back into service

2- Resurrected as Seawise University 2

3- Is placed as a hotel anywhere other than Dubai however nothing is touched.

4- You are born, you live, you prosper, you die. Goes to Alang.

All better than being used as some cheap entertaintment centre for drunk Arabs.... (not meant as racist I am an Arab)

I like the Seawise University 2 idea. Of course they'd still need the funds to update the ship to achieve the 2010 SOLAS requirements. We're actually running a little poll on what you like to see happen if the Dubai project fails:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=925015

I would like to see the QE2 sail for Cunard again. Based on the strong bookings and intense publicity received during the QE2's last year in service, it would be great if Cunard would buy back (or at least lease) the QE2 for additional sailings. Of course, this might irritate the people who paid a premium for the ship's final sailings. I sailed aboard the QE2 seven times and would love to sail aboard this ship again.

Dan, unknowingly answered my next question. QE2 is not solas compliant. No way Cunard will take her back because that would have been on of the original reasons to retire her. I doubt any other cruise line would attempt to take on that project.

Dan, unknowingly answered my next question. QE2 is not solas compliant. No way Cunard will take her back because that would have been on of the original reasons to retire her. I doubt any other cruise line would attempt to take on that project.

Lease the ship back, or perhaps even get the ship back for free with the provision to keep her operational. Cunard runs the ship until the end/begining of the new SOLAS regs. This buys time too for the economy to turn around. Dubai get the ship back then and then begins the transformation. Cunard gets a ship, we get to spend more money, helping the economy, and Dubai does not have to spend cash to maintain the ship while she sits idle. With the price of fuel way down now and perhaps a more leisurely schedule (cruise ship slow) she's be more economical to run too. Myles, pull some strings with your contacts and get this in the works!:cool:

It pains me to see the ship sitting idle at the dock, perfectly capable of being put back into service. I'm up for additional torture if this happens and we have to say goodbye all over again. :eek::rolleyes:;)

KenM

New SOLAS requirements go into affect Oct 2010. So at best if they immediately could start marketing it they would at best get 8 months of use. But IMHO that is being generous, since Cunard would still need to negotiate a lease back, book ports, arrange tours, and in the mean time they would have nothing to market.

Among the new requirements...

"Among the major points in the latest rules are requirements that there be two means of egress from all atrium levels; low-level lighting systems; installation of smoke detectors, sprinklers, fire detectors and fire alarm systems in all accommodations and service areas; and fireproof enclosures around all stairways.?

She's gone. Dead. An ex-parrot. Finished with engines. Gone to meet her maker. Caput. Shuffled off this mortal coil. Did I mention "dead"?

Please, please accept this!

There will NEVER be a better looking passenger ship and certainly there is no cruise ship afloat today with her external elegance and wonderful lines. She will be sadly missed, not least by me.

Whatever happens to her, opened "as is" as a hotel, painted pink, covered in bling or cut in half and a seventeen floor office block tucked in behind the Chart Room, she is no longer a Cunard ship, no more a liner. I'm sure that Cunard would have insisted on a "never go to sea again" clause.

Can you imagine Carnival (with a fleet of three new Cunard ships QM2 QV QE) taking back into service a ship that is forty years old? For fun? Because the three dozen QE2 fans who missed the last voyage want another chance? Because, in a world wide recession, Carnival want a chance to lose some serious money?

"Now, when I click my fingers, you'll be back in the real world..."

(read Carnival's) hands again. Not only did they sell the ship to the highest bidder, but they sold practically everything else, including Aquitania's bell and Sam's Halifax cup. Nakheel at least are looking after her for the present. I hope they scale back the more radical 'refit' they planned to one more sympathetic to the ship as is. No matter what we think about it, the ship has been sold by Carnival 'from under our feet' so to speak, so we have to accept the fact, even though we deplore it.

She's gone. Dead. An ex-parrot. Finished with engines. Gone to meet her maker. Caput. Shuffled off this mortal coil. Did I mention "dead"?

Please, please accept this!

There will NEVER be a better looking passenger ship and certainly there is no cruise ship afloat today with her external elegance and wonderful lines. She will be sadly missed, not least by me.

Whatever happens to her, opened "as is" as a hotel, painted pink, covered in bling or cut in half and a seventeen floor office block tucked in behind the Chart Room, she is no longer a Cunard ship, no more a liner. I'm sure that Cunard would have insisted on a "never go to sea again" clause.

Can you imagine Carnival (with a fleet of three new Cunard ships QM2 QV QE) taking back into service a ship that is forty years old? For fun? Because the three dozen QE2 fans who missed the last voyage want another chance? Because, in a world wide recession, Carnival want a chance to lose some serious money?

"Now, when I click my fingers, you'll be back in the real world..."

Pepper you can be so crooell!

Gari

Archived