Need some advice about La Romana

sapphire_407

My husband and I will be there in a few weeks on the Breeze. We don't want an excursion. I'd like to know if there is shopping nearby, or is there anything to see just walking around. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Edited by sapphire_407

We went there, but we did the Seavis private island. As I recall there wasn't a lot of shopping at the port. I would recommend going to bayhibe. It is like a little fishing village with a bunch of little shops. We were in such a hurry when our excursion was over we didn't have time to really look around and we would really like to go back.

Edited by cmptrwiz

We were just there a few weeks ago. DH and I went to Altos de Chavon. There is a shuttle right at the port which was $7pp return. It was a wonderful place to walk around. Lots of shops and restaurants.

I was there December 2014 on the Breeze. There is nothing in the port, it is only a parking lot for buses to pick up for excursions. There is nothing within walking distance of the port. The taxis are not allowed in the parking lot, they wait outside the gate. The employees who work in the port did not make it easy for us to find a taxi. Unless the taxi situation has changed in the past 10 months, on my next cruise I plan to stay on the ship or take a Carnival excursion.

Actually there is a shopping mall/area away the pier, you can google for more info on a taxi there and what is there.

We've taxied to Bayahive as part of the Seavis Tours Saona Island excursion (highly recommend) and we've stayed at the Dreams La Romana resort in Bayahibe. Sharing a taxi is cheaper, it's about 20 min to Bayahibe, another 5 to Dominicus.

I was there December 2014 on the Breeze. There is nothing in the port, it is only a parking lot for buses to pick up for excursions. There is nothing within walking distance of the port. The taxis are not allowed in the parking lot, they wait outside the gate. The employees who work in the port did not make it easy for us to find a taxi. Unless the taxi situation has changed in the past 10 months, on my next cruise I plan to stay on the ship or take a Carnival excursion.

I would highly recommend reconsidering both of these choices. The area surrounding the coast is gorgeous, you just need to do some research here and on other sites like tripadvisor for ideas. The Carnival excursion to Saona Island is not as nice as the Seavis Tours option with the motorboats, and the luxury cat to Catalina Island or Saona with Pro Excursions is amazing. We'fe ejnoyed both trips and both outfits are top notch. The taxi is easy and cheap with the excursion.

Definitely check these sites out if you go there again!!!!!!!!

Edited by blue_water