Transfering a Passages Certificate to another booking

Has anyone had recent experience with transfering a Passages Certificate from one booking to another? If so, have you done this more than once? Celebrity just advised our TA that you can only do this once and that if you just plain cancel your booking, you forfeit the Passages Certificate deposit.

Now we all know that it's common to get a different answer from different people at Celebrity. So I thought I'd check with you folks to see what your experience has been. Thanks!

Has anyone had recent experience with transfering a Passages Certificate from one booking to another? If so, have you done this more than once? Celebrity just advised our TA that you can only do this once and that if you just plain cancel your booking, you forfeit the Passages Certificate deposit.

Now we all know that it's common to get a different answer from different people at Celebrity. So I thought I'd check with you folks to see what your experience has been. Thanks!

If you straight out cancel a booking you do forfeit your deposit. But you can keep switching it to another sailing (unlimited amounts of times) as long as you are sure to have them keep the same booking number.

Hi Linda,

I had asked a similar ? and someone directed me to a Celebrity number which I called, and asked if I would lose my $200 dep if I cancelled the cruise I used my O/P for. She said no I would get that back should I need to cancel the cruise. Also you can keep changing the cruise should you want to. Please dont ask me for the # as I have misplaced it. :eek: Hope that helps.....Joan.

Thanks everybody! That's what I had heard, but I wondered if they had recently changed the policy. I'll share this information with my TA. I'm sure she was talking to her rep and not the Passages desk. And we all know they don't talk to one another at Celebrity. :eek:

Hi Linda,

I had asked a similar ? and someone directed me to a Celebrity number which I called, and asked if I would lose my $200 dep if I cancelled the cruise I used my O/P for. She said no I would get that back should I need to cancel the cruise. Also you can keep changing the cruise should you want to. Please dont ask me for the # as I have misplaced it. :eek: Hope that helps.....Joan.

I have never heard that you could cancel and get your money returned to you.

My understanding and experience has always been that if you do not wish to continue with a booking that you deposited with your Passages certificate, then you booked another cruise with the certificate, either one that you know you want to sail on, or one as far in the future as possible, until you have determined another ship and sail date.

I never heard of that. What does the actually certificate say? If it "remains silent" on that issue I would try to make the change.

I assume you mean changing the itinerary and not the booking number, which would be attached to the certificate.

Hi Linda,

On the ship I was told we could get our money back, but the certificate seems to indicate otherwise.

Just called capt/club and confirmed that info. Once the O/P has been turned into an actual booking, then if cancelled you do get the dep back as long as it's before final booking. The # is .1-800-760-0654.

We just had to cancel a cruise two weeks ago that was booked with a Passages certificate. We didn't move it to another cruise. But we did get a refund for the passage deposit (it showed up on our credit card two days ago) but, of course, we lost out on the great OBC.

If you cancel a reservation that was originally booked from an Open Passage certificate, and do not transfer it to another cruise, you lose your deposit.

If you cancel a reservation that was booked onboard (Reserved Passage), and do not transfer it to another cruise, you will be refunded your deposit, provided you cancel prior to final payment.

I think people are confusing Open Passage and Reserved Passage. They are entirely different!

Also, it is clearly stated that: If an Open Passage account is applied to an actual ship and sailing date, and then the booking cancels for any reason, guest may apply for a refund, less the value of the initial Open Passage deposit. This applies to both US & Canadian residents.

One exception for US vs Canadian:

US - Open Passage account is non-transferable to another guest.

Canadian - Open Passage account may be transferred to another guest.

If you cancel a reservation that was originally booked from an Open Passage certificate, and do not transfer it to another cruise, you lose your deposit.

If you cancel a reservation that was booked onboard (Reserved Passage), and do not transfer it to another cruise, you will be refunded your deposit, provided you cancel prior to final payment.

I think people are confusing Open Passage and Reserved Passage. They are entirely different!

Also, it is clearly stated that: If an Open Passage account is applied to an actual ship and sailing date, and then the booking cancels for any reason, guest may apply for a refund, less the value of the initial Open Passage deposit. This applies to both US & Canadian residents.

One exception for US vs Canadian:

US - Open Passage account is non-transferable to another guest.

Canadian - Open Passage account may be transferred to another guest.

That is not what I was told onboard or when I called, but you are right that the certificates say Open Passages are not refundable. I think the mistake (in the US) may be to make an Open Passage Booking. It seems it makes mores sense to "book something" and change it to another cruise you may prefer if you made the booking onboard and then need to change dates.

Here's the word from the Passages Desk today:

Passages Desk said once a booking is cancelled, the deposit is out of play, and there is no way to put it back. There is no expiration as long as it is being applied to a specific booking—once cancelled, it is gone.

Linda - Are you talking to Passages or is your TA? I have a TA but when I have a question I always call myself. Mainly because once I get talking a lot of questions lead to other questions:D and I just get more satisfaction from calling myself.

It was my TA talking to Passages. This didn't relate to a booking for me but for a friend who wants to join us on some future cruises.

Maybe I'm mis-reading some of the comments but from firsthand experience we purchased an Open Passage last year when on a cruise. A few months after we got home we booked another cruise with our TA and used the Open Passage. Just a few weeks ago we had to cancel the cruise (we didn't move the passage to a future cruise). We were told by our TA that we would lose the OBC but would receive back our deposit which we did this past week as it was reflected on our credit card.

So, an Open Passage that is subsequently booked with a TA and then cancelled is subject to have the deposit reimbursed as we have experienced.

Maybe I'm mis-reading some of the comments but from firsthand experience we purchased an Open Passage last year when on a cruise. A few months after we got home we booked another cruise with our TA and used the Open Passage. Just a few weeks ago we had to cancel the cruise (we didn't move the passage to a future cruise). We were told by our TA that we would lose the OBC but would receive back our deposit which we did this past week as it was reflected on our credit card.

So, an Open Passage that is subsequently booked with a TA and then cancelled is subject to have the deposit reimbursed as we have experienced.

OK, just so we're all on the same page here: did you pay an additional deposit when you booked with your TA? I can see where that would be refundable. Or are you saying you didn't pay an additional deposit when you booked with your TA and you got back the $100 or $200 you paid when you purchased the Open Passages? If that's the case, I'd say you were lucky.

Of course you "lose" the OBC. You're not entitled to that until you sail.

Happy Cruiser - I didn't pay any additional deposit to my TA. I only used the Open Passage which had the $200 deposit on it to book the cruise.

When I had to cancel the cruise my TA checked with Celebrity then verbally told me the $200 from the Open Passage would be refunded. A couple weeks went by and this week the credit appeared on my online statement. You are correct, I did lose the OBC.

Happy Cruiser - I didn't pay any additional deposit to my TA. I only used the Open Passage which had the $200 deposit on it to book the cruise.

When I had to cancel the cruise my TA checked with Celebrity then verbally told me the $200 from the Open Passage would be refunded. A couple weeks went by and this week the credit appeared on my online statement. You are correct, I did lose the OBC.

Interesting. I guess everything does depend on who you talk to at Celebrity. Glad you got your $200 back. Lots of others haven't been so lucky.

Interesting. I guess everything does depend on who you talk to at Celebrity. Glad you got your $200 back. Lots of others haven't been so lucky.

The Certificate clearly states it's non-refundable. But having said that, f you do an onboard booking (you name the ship, sailing date, etc.) and have to cancel that down the road, the deposit is refundable. If you simply purchase a future cruise certificate (ship and sailing to be named later), the certificate itself is not refundable. In other words, you can't call Celebrity and say I don't want this certificate anymore, please refund my deposit. But if you eventually book a cruise using that certificate and then subsequently cancel, if you opt not to move that reservation number to another sailing, you will get your deposit back.

Hope that clears things up.

Jo-Ann

Archived