Copenhagen and Stockholm - Where to stay

bohaiboy

I know there is a Port of Call section, but I want advice from SS Cruisers. I would think I might get better insight here as the things most of us enjoy are more than what say those on Royal Car. might enjoy. SO simple question, what do you, as a SS cruiser, consider the best area to stay in each town? And then what hotel would you recommend in those areas? On Silver Whisper July 10.

TIA

Tim

In Stockholm, The Grand Hotel is my preference. The location is ideal for accessing the main tourist venues but also walking the entire city. We've stayed there on numerous occasions and the service is consistent.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Seconding the grand in Stockholm but don't leave to too late

Missed it on 06,,,, so good in 13

Stayed at the Adina in CPH cos i knew wed want to eat homestyle…. mistake

Nimb was excellent but i was with 2 younguns and they did the rides from open until close plus they had some band on that night (not sure who) and we could watch from the window and tix were close to the price of the room!

Edited by MrsWaldo

In Stockholm, we really enjoyed the Grand Hotel. Great location on the water, across from the Palace, and walking distance to Old Town. In addition, they serve the best smorgasbord in Stockholm--frequented by many locals who also agree. Their other restaurant, Mathias Dahlgren, is one of the best in Stockholm--famous Swedish chef. Finally, the hotel has the best spa in Northern Europe...not just in regard to treatments, but the facilities. I probably wouldn't stay at the Hilton--heard too many negative comments from Silversea passengers about the size of the rooms and other incidents (lost baggage, handbag stolen at breakfast). The Radisson Blu looks ok, and there is a small boutique hotel next to the Grand that you might want to look at if you want something smaller.

The d"Angleterre was closed for a two or three year renovation project when we were in CPH, so we stayed at the Nimb, which is attached to Tivoli and near the train station. Convenient location as well. Boutique hotel, distinctive rooms, great food and wonderful atmosphere. That being said, the air conditioning was not great when it is hot in CPH (but it may not be anywhere) , and the rooms which face Tivoli on a Friday or Saturday night can be noisy if there are concerts. You have free access in and out of Tivoli which is a lot of fun. You can also walk right to the hotel from the train station if you take the train from the airport. We really loved the Nimb because it was so unique, but you have to want that kind of hotel.

Finally, if you like haute Nordic cuisine, you might want to see if you can get a reservation at Geranium, which is one of the best restaurants in CPH. But you have to be prepared for a very long dinner and many courses. They also serve lunch if it fits with your schedule.

I know there is a Port of Call section, but I want advice from SS Cruisers. I would think I might get better insight here as the things most of us enjoy are more than what say those on Royal Car. might enjoy. SO simple question, what do you, as a SS cruiser, consider the best area to stay in each town? And then what hotel would you recommend in those areas? On Silver Whisper July 10. TIA Tim

Good interesting question for two great cities. BUT, much depends on what you really seek and need for a hotel "experience". Some want a familiar name like "Marriott" or Hilton. Others want the most prestige in a hotel name/label. For us in both of these charming town, it was more about location and wanting to get a "local experience". Don't want just a major "name". Wanted to feel more like we were in these two towns and getting an experience for each different country, their history, etc.

For lovely Copenhagen, we went with The Square. Great, handy location, plus a good "feel" for contemporary Danish design. See more below. Worked well!!

In Stockholm, we had the spectacular buffet or Smörgåsbord at the Grand Hotel. Very nice and worked well. A key attraction was its wide variety of options for herring and glassed area overlooking their harbor. BUT, this hotel in its lobby and other areas, did not seem as "Grand" as the name might indicated. Did not check out the sleeping rooms here. We wanted to stayed in the Gamla Stan area that dates back to the 13th century. This historic section consists of medieval alleyways, cobbled streets and interesting architecture. This area is much inspired from the North German style that influenced this Old Town's construction.

In Stockholm, we stayed at the Lady Hamilton Hotel. At the time, TripAdvisor had it ranked #15 of 159 hotels there. The Lady Hamilton Hotel is located in Gamla Stan, stands four stories high. It is more of a boutique hotel located very close to the Royal Palace, main church, Nobel Museum, etc. Not big, fancy or grand, but it fit our needs very well after we completed our Crystal Baltics/Russia sailing.

For our purposes, since both cities are so wonderful and begging to be explored, we would not be spending that much time hanging and relaxing in our hotel room and/or their lobby. Location and being local were our prime priorities. Personal choice!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 168,965 views. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

In Copenhagen, we stayed at The Square hotel that overlooks the main plaza in front of their City Hall with its large tower. This picture angle is framed by two statutes in front of this famed civic building. The design for The Square is also very unique and nice. It gives more of the feel of being in Denmark with the special design style and approaches. From the Travel Channel on her "Passport" TV shows, Samantha Brown stayed there and gave it good, deserved play/praise.:

CPHtheSquareHotelFront.jpg

Overlooking the main harbor in Stockholm, here is a view of the Grand Hotel with the red brick design and greenish roof. From its location, you can see the Royal Palace and other great architecture in this historic area. The Grand Hotel was opened in 1874 and hosts Nobel Prize winner during the ceremony period. Super classy exterior look and setting!:

StockhGrandHotel.jpg

Thanks all. Looks like some great choices. We are also wanting the "local" as we are not in the hotel much. Anyone done AirBnB? Actually stay in a locals home (alone) and you have the conveniences of a large space, washer /dryer, and cooking if need be. Very close to Nyhaven area but ina residential area a few blocks form it.

I know what's been said about the Hilton in Stockholm but we stayed there in Sept '13 before departing on the Shadow. We booked it ourselves for 2 nites and the rate included breakfast. They allowed us to check in about 9 a.m. (after an all night flight) and let us check out an hour late. We walked down the street and down the stairs to the ship. Probably one of the first 10 people on.

Room was a corner one and I was told it was one of the larger ones…and it was still small. No closet, but hooks and such on the wall.

The location was walkable to everywhere we wanted to go, including the AirTrain from the airport.

In Stockholm, the Lydmar Hotel, an excellent boutique hotel just down the street from the Grand.

I will second, or third that, its a lovely hotel, slightly quirky, full of photographic art, and if I remember correctly its the building just showing on the right hand side of Terry's photo of the Grand.

Edited by Silver Spectre

Finally, if you like haute Nordic cuisine, you might want to see if you can get a reservation at Geranium, which is one of the best restaurants in CPH. But you have to be prepared for a very long dinner and many courses. They also serve lunch if it fits with your schedule.

We had an excellent meal at Geranium. Book as soon as the dates open though as it is very hard to get into.

I'll also second the comments about Nimb. The concert for us was a key attraction but had it just been me then I don't think i would have been keen. They also start cleaning the park about 6am… D'Angleterre wasn't taking bookings when we were planning and I wasn't willing to risk not getting Nimb.

Terry, the rooms at the Grand are quite luxe. We had 2 different room styles. Master W room was a very bottom end basic and it was a good size and light and airy, done in "european castle style" furnishings. I agree the lobby is not good and I found it quite "feral" when all the debarking passengers arrived at 9am and were angry because their rooms weren't ready.

Miss W and I had a room 2 steps up from that. It was decorated the same way and had a sunny aspect overlooking a cobbled area on the back?? of the hotel. It was very large and had a separate bath and shower and the toilet was also in a different room. It had a small lobby entry.

We stayed in Gamla Stan in 06 before we embarked on the Cloud. It was a good area but very noisy on the Saturday night due to the "hidden" bars in the basements etc of some places and people spilling out at around 3am. Cloud was docked just down the road so it was very convenient for us.

The thing I have noticed for both Stockholm and CPH is that often SS and SB are in town in very close time frames so it can be hard to secure a booking at the smaller/ more upmarket hotels.

NOT TLC,

but…

we used the Arlanda Express train which is very efficient and we used a taxi from the central station. (reverse trip)

Gamla Stan allows vehicles through early in the morning so in that regard you are fine. You could do a taxi to the Station then train.

I was warned not to take a taxi during the peak hour as prices are inflated as you need to get across the city and the metre keeps running.

We have stayed at the Hilton's in Copenhagen and Stockholm many times, primarily because my husband is Hilton diamond. If you are gold or diamond breakfast and a very substantial evening cocktail hour are included. So substantial that there is no need to go out for dinner. Since we were exhausted after sightseeing all day, this was ideal for us. And the rooms are comfortable with modern bathrooms and functional air conditioning

TLCOhio, how was the transport to the airport from Gamla Stan. Out flt leaves at 0730

Silver Spectre: Lydmar Hotel' date=' an excellent boutique hotel just down the street from the Grand. I will second, or third that, its a lovely hotel, slightly quirky, full of photographic art, and if I remember correctly its the building just showing on the right hand side of Terry's photo of the Grand. [/quote']

MrsWaldo: NOT TLC' date=' but… we used the [b']Arlanda Express train[/b] which is very efficient and we used a taxi from the central station. (reverse trip). Gamla Stan allows vehicles through early in the morning so in that regard you are fine. You could do a taxi to the Station then train. I was warned not to take a taxi during the peak hour as prices are inflated as you need to get across the city and the metre keeps running.

Appreciate the follow-up from MrsWaldo. We had a very early morning flight out and that Stockholm airport is a good distance away from the central downtown. The Arlanda Express train seems very good, but we took a taxi. With all of our luggage from being gone two weeks, plus, it was not worth the hassle to get a cab to the train station, then switch, move and do that rail trip, etc. Cost a little more for a cab, but on our rain morning departing, it was much simpler this way. It's mostly freeway to the airport and the early am cab ride worked very well. The cab took our credit card.

The Lydmar Hotel looks very nice from its website. Below is one of my pictures that might better show its exterior facing the harbor waters. Is this the correct building?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 93,544 views for this posting.

Does this look like the Lydmar Hotel? Or, am I mixed up with another one of the classic buildings along this famed roadway?:

Jan15AA29_zpsb3f8e6e4.jpg