Blue Lagoon Questions

marshhawk

Hubby and I want a beach day in Nassau...we love to swim, lie on the beach and snorkel.....I was figuring Blue Lagoon, because even if the weather is not perfect, at least we will have a beach to walk on, a boat ride, and a view....

BUT since we have never been there...

Is it a good place to swim?

Do you have access to all the beach area including the surf side?

Are there changing rooms and decent rest rooms?

How shallow is the lagoon?

Have you snorkeled there and seen anything?

And if you have booked through Carnival...how many people are on the island? Can it get overcrowded?

Tell me what you loved about it> or hated about it? We are not going to be doing any of the critter excursions...Thanks

Hubby and I want a beach day in Nassau...we love to swim, lie on the beach and snorkel.....I was figuring Blue Lagoon, because even if the weather is not perfect, at least we will have a beach to walk on, a boat ride, and a view....

BUT since we have never been there...

Is it a good place to swim?

Do you have access to all the beach area including the surf side?

Are there changing rooms and decent rest rooms?

How shallow is the lagoon?

Have you snorkeled there and seen anything?

And if you have booked through Carnival...how many people are on the island? Can it get overcrowded?

Tell me what you loved about it> or hated about it? We are not going to be doing any of the critter excursions...Thanks

I was there on Friday 9/10 and loved this place. It is the best kept secert in Nassau. I booked directly with them and paid a lot less than Carnivals prices. It was $45 a person and worth every cent of it.

To answer your questions:

Is it a good place to swim? yes they have roped off areas for swimming, the water toy section and snorkeling area.

Do you have access to all the beach area including the surf side? there is no access to the surf side

Are there changing rooms and decent rest rooms?yes and they are one of the cleanest we have seen

How shallow is the lagoon? it ranges for ankle deep to approx 15 feet

Have you snorkeled there and seen anything? my husband snorkeled and saw feather dusters, a baby stingray, and various fish. Many hanging out right by his feet. There was no coral to be seen.

And if you have booked through Carnival...how many people are on the island? Can it get overcrowded? we booked independently, paid 5 pp to get a taxi to paradise island ferry terminal. took the scenic boat ride, which was about 20 minutes to blue lagoon island and spent 5 hours on the beach. We took the 8:30 boat over and and we had no more than 100 people all day. Up until about 11 am there was less than 50 people, since Carnivals excursions did not arrive until about 11. On the return trip they boat ride does return you directly to the cruise area, so no need for a taxi back.

Tell me what you loved about it> or hated about it? We are not going to be doing any of the critter excursions There was nothing that we hated about it. We loved this place and can not wait to return. The food that was included was great...actually the hamburger was better than carnivals at half moon cay. My daughter loved the chicken. You got free use of inner tubes and mats. I actually used the inner tube to look through and see the fish. My version of snorkeling. Shade could be found in many places and we loved all the hammocks.

I have tons of pictures, but I have not downloaded them to the computer yet. I will be doing a full review later this week. If you need any more info or you want me to email the pics directly to you let me know.

Chrissy

I was there on Friday 9/10 and loved this place. It is the best kept secert in Nassau. I booked directly with them and paid a lot less than Carnivals prices. It was $45 a person and worth every cent of it.

To answer your questions:

Is it a good place to swim? yes they have roped off areas for swimming, the water toy section and snorkeling area.

Do you have access to all the beach area including the surf side? there is no access to the surf side

Are there changing rooms and decent rest rooms?yes and they are one of the cleanest we have seen

How shallow is the lagoon? it ranges for ankle deep to approx 15 feet

Have you snorkeled there and seen anything? my husband snorkeled and saw feather dusters, a baby stingray, and various fish. Many hanging out right by his feet. There was no coral to be seen.

And if you have booked through Carnival...how many people are on the island? Can it get overcrowded? we booked independently, paid 5 pp to get a taxi to paradise island ferry terminal. took the scenic boat ride, which was about 20 minutes to blue lagoon island and spent 5 hours on the beach. We took the 8:30 boat over and and we had no more than 100 people all day. Up until about 11 am there was less than 50 people, since Carnivals excursions did not arrive until about 11. On the return trip they boat ride does return you directly to the cruise area, so no need for a taxi back.

Tell me what you loved about it> or hated about it? We are not going to be doing any of the critter excursions There was nothing that we hated about it. We loved this place and can not wait to return. The food that was included was great...actually the hamburger was better than carnivals at half moon cay. My daughter loved the chicken. You got free use of inner tubes and mats. I actually used the inner tube to look through and see the fish. My version of snorkeling. Shade could be found in many places and we loved all the hammocks.

I have tons of pictures, but I have not downloaded them to the computer yet. I will be doing a full review later this week. If you need any more info or you want me to email the pics directly to you let me know.

Chrissy

the $45 included lunch for everybody in your party? Do you know a Kids price? Would you advise this for a toddler and a 1.5 year old? What about transportation back to the ship? Lastly, lol, do you have contact info if I was to book directly ?

Thanks

the $45 included lunch for everybody in your party? Do you know a Kids price? Would you advise this for a toddler and a 1.5 year old? What about transportation back to the ship? Lastly, lol, do you have contact info if I was to book directly ?

Thanks

For adults it is 45 a person and for kids it is 35 a person and that does include lunch.

There were a few familys with infants there and they had inner tubes and mats that you could use for free for him/her. I would not hesitate bringing an infant there.

Transportation back to the ship is free. Leave on one of there ferries and stay on till the 2nd stop, which brings you right back to the ship area.

To book directly go to bahamas blue lagoon dot com

If you need any other questions asked please feel free to do so. I will be posting pictures up soon...still in the process of uploading to webshots.

awesome thanks...we actually called them ourselves and they confirmed the price, and the Kids price is for 4 and up, so don't have to pay for our two little ones. We just have to supply food/snacks. I guess we have to pay for transportation to the P.Island Ferry Terminal, but they will take us back to the Ports? Not bad in that we won't have to cab back. Do you know how often the Ferry runs off of the Island?

awesome thanks...we actually called them ourselves and they confirmed the price, and the Kids price is for 4 and up, so don't have to pay for our two little ones. We just have to supply food/snacks. I guess we have to pay for transportation to the P.Island Ferry Terminal, but they will take us back to the Ports? Not bad in that we won't have to cab back. Do you know how often the Ferry runs off of the Island?

Ferries run at 1pm, 2pm and the last one at 4pm.

Ferries run at 1pm, 2pm and the last one at 4pm.

thanks for the reply! Is it correct that the Ferry will take us back to the Port Docks? Last q: I assume these Ferries don't require life jackets for little ones?

No 3pm shuttle?

thanks for the reply! Is it correct that the Ferry will take us back to the Port Docks? Last q: I assume these Ferries don't require life jackets for little ones?

No 3pm shuttle?

there are usually 2 boats going back.. one to the port to drop off cruisers and one to the PI Dock. Just make sure you ask which one is going back to the cruise dock.

As for life jackets..it a very large boat, no life jackets needed, although they do have them aboard as per the port authority and coast guard rules.

NO 3PM shuttle. 2 and 4pm.

this excursion is actually a bit of a drag for most in our situation I would think...my reasoning is that our Nassau Port arrives at 8am, so if we are lucky we will be off the boat around 8:30am or so. The Ferry from the Terminal leaves to the Island at 8:30am, and the next one at 10:30am. Take a half hour tour you are at the Island for 11am. We have a 5pm departure which means we would likely have to leave the Island on the 2pm Ferry. Even if the 4pm last Ferry leaves and can take us direct to the Port, it would be a risk of missing the boat if any delays. This sucks, as I really want to do this!

perfect! I think this might be a terrific excursion ! By chance, can I pick up the Ferry from the Port, since it drops off there? Or, do I have to go to the Terminal?

If you purchase tickets independently, you have to go to the terminal to pick up your bracelets.

IF your ships tours are going to the island that day, you will be on the same boat returning from the island back to the ship, so if it's delayed, so will the Ships Tour.

If you purchase tickets independently, you have to go to the terminal to pick up your bracelets.

IF your ships tours are going to the island that day, you will be on the same boat returning from the island back to the ship, so if it's delayed, so will the Ships Tour.

makes sense thanks...we could still have them Ferry drop off us off at the Port though, right? So hard thinking of what to do, makes me think the Day Pass at the Sheraton is best! argh...

I have read so many of your great posts, Scubagirrl! Thank you :) I'll be on Carnival Conquest Sept 19, my hubby and I are in our early 50's....I just can't decide between BCH or Blue Lagoon. We will be doing an active snorkeling trip in Freeport the day after Nassau, so we want less activity in Nassau. If you had one day, what would you choose? I know you love BCH, but Blue Lagoon sounds so pretty and it has a few more activity choices. Your opinion pls :)

this excursion is actually a bit of a drag for most in our situation I would think...my reasoning is that our Nassau Port arrives at 8am, so if we are lucky we will be off the boat around 8:30am or so. The Ferry from the Terminal leaves to the Island at 8:30am, and the next one at 10:30am. Take a half hour tour you are at the Island for 11am. We have a 5pm departure which means we would likely have to leave the Island on the 2pm Ferry. Even if the 4pm last Ferry leaves and can take us direct to the Port, it would be a risk of missing the boat if any delays. This sucks, as I really want to do this!

We were actually there the same time period you're looking at and still enjoyed it! I would have LOVED to be there longer, but I'm still very glad we went! We left on the 2pm ferry to walk around a little before our ship left at 6pm. We didn't feel like we missed out on anything there - we enjoyed the beach, used the innertubes, saw the dolphins and sealions and walked around the island a little bit. If you really want to do it (and I HIGHLY recommend it) you'd be fine for time. :) Oh, and I forgot to mention we had the lunch that was provided and it was good! We also booked this independently.

there are usually 2 boats going back.. one to the port to drop off cruisers and one to the PI Dock. Just make sure you ask which one is going back to the cruise dock.

As for life jackets..it a very large boat, no life jackets needed, although they do have them aboard as per the port authority and coast guard rules.

NO 3PM shuttle. 2 and 4pm.

When we went on the 2pm shuttle there was only 1 shuttle that stopped at both locations. 1st at PI Dock and let off locals and non cruise guests. It took approx 5 min or so, and then went to the cruise terminal area to drop off all other guests.

I have read so many of your great posts, Scubagirrl! Thank you :) I'll be on Carnival Conquest Sept 19, my hubby and I are in our early 50's....I just can't decide between BCH or Blue Lagoon. We will be doing an active snorkeling trip in Freeport the day after Nassau, so we want less activity in Nassau. If you had one day, what would you choose? I know you love BCH, but Blue Lagoon sounds so pretty and it has a few more activity choices. Your opinion pls :)

There's are two of my favorite places.. it's hard to decide. but I think Blue Lagoon would win out. You can be as active as you want. Or just sit with a book as I do. Of course, there will be more people at Blue Lagoon and more kids.. hard to get away from them. At BCH, you'll be more relaxes and quiet.

There's are two of my favorite places.. it's hard to decide. but I think Blue Lagoon would win out. You can be as active as you want. Or just sit with a book as I do. Of course, there will be more people at Blue Lagoon and more kids.. hard to get away from them. At BCH, you'll be more relaxes and quiet.

Okay, one final thing because after I made this post yesterday, I showed my hubby the Sheraton and it looked nice. So....Blue Lagoon or Sheraton? Then, I am deciding and will move on to packing, lol :eek:

Okay, one final thing because after I made this post yesterday, I showed my hubby the Sheraton and it looked nice. So....Blue Lagoon or Sheraton? Then, I am deciding and will move on to packing, lol :eek:

you are debating the same question that I have...the more I look at the Sheraton/Wyndham and the great pools and beaches in the area of those two hotels, I am tempted to just do that. I do have Kids with us as well, I will just feel more rushed having to leave on a 2pm Ferry, which is 3 hours before we depart to HMC...then again, Blue Lagoon would be very cool for the kids, just wish the Ferry schedule was more friendly

Redsfan: We are in the exact same "boat" as you regarding unlucky port arrival and departure times!! It's frustrating as we had imagined spending a good part of the day there, not 3 hours....

We were actually there the same time period you're looking at and still enjoyed it! I would have LOVED to be there longer, but I'm still very glad we went! We left on the 2pm ferry to walk around a little before our ship left at 6pm. We didn't feel like we missed out on anything there - we enjoyed the beach, used the innertubes, saw the dolphins and sealions and walked around the island a little bit. If you really want to do it (and I HIGHLY recommend it) you'd be fine for time. :) Oh, and I forgot to mention we had the lunch that was provided and it was good! We also booked this independently.

This is encouraging to hear.... I would really want to go, even though it seems pricey for such a short time (we are a family of 5 plus my parents, so 7 ppl).... I haven't mentioned it to my DH yet, but I know exactly what he would say - 'save the $ and stay on the half-empty ship and relax'....:rolleyes:

Thanks for including your opinion, it helps to hear from people who have been there. :)

Hi everyone...I just returned from Blue Lagoon and thought I would write a review of it for you including pictures....

Paradise found at Blue Lagoon Island!!!!

We were at Blue Lagoon Island on Thursday 9/9/10, for the all inclusive beach day. In our party was my husband (51), our daughter (15) and myself (44).

We arrived via the Carnival Destiny. We booked this tour directly with bahamasbluelagoon.com for 45.00 per person and this included a scenic 20 minute boat ride to the island, (the boat is a double decker boat and the view from up top is amazing) lunch which inluded your choice of an 8 oz. Angus Beef Burger, 8 oz. Angus Beef Cheeseburger, ¼ pound all Beef Hot Dog, Chicken Burger (real chicken breast), or Veggie Burger, chips or french fries, fresh fruit and a fruit punch or a lemonade drink. Also included use of Big Boss floating noodles, floating mats and inner tubes. Carnival was charging $75.00 for the same exact tour.

We took a taxi ($5 pp) over to the Paradise Island Ferry Terminal and arrived there at 8:00 am. Once we arrived we checked in and received our braclets and a map of the location. The ferry left the terminal at 8:35 am and arrived at Blue Lagoon at approx. 9:00 am. The 20 minute boat ride took you through Nassau’s historic harbour, where you can view the mansions and private yachts on Paradise Island.

2236878290102143995S425x425Q85.jpg

Pictures of some of the mansions:

2241912280102143995S425x425Q85.jpg

2004656550102143995S425x425Q85.jpg

2493417020102143995S425x425Q85.jpg

Once we arrived at Blue Lagoon the dock walk way to the right brought you to Dolphin Encounters and the one to the left brought you to the beach. Even though we did not have the opportunity to do the dolphin enounters this trip, we were able to see at least 4-5 dolphins up close. Even though I live in Florida and have seen dolphins in the distance many of times it was breath taking to see this beautiful animal up close and personal.

Blue Lagoon Left Side Enterance

2793160210102143995S425x425Q85.jpg

Blue Lagoon Right Side Enterance

2140412280102143995S425x425Q85.jpg

Some pictures of the dolphins:

2019455490102143995S425x425Q85.jpg

2787820170102143995S425x425Q85.jpg

2899603520102143995S425x425Q85.jpg

The first picture of the beach area from the boat.

2840986390102143995S425x425Q85.jpg

As we walked our way to the beach area, every staff member that we passed stopped what they were doing and said hello. I have never been to a location that everyone was so friendly.

The first building that you come to on the right is the gift shop and restrooms and shower facilites. They had to be the cleanest rest rooms that I have encountered in a while and there were about 3-4 changing stalls and about 7 or so toilets in the ladies room.

The gift shop is in the background of this picture:

2138043930102143995S425x425Q85.jpg

To the left of that was the housed area for the rentals for Paddleboats, Kayaks, Water Bikes, Snorkeling Equipment and also the Big Boss floating noodles, floating mats and inner tubes . They also have water toys to play on including a trampoline, water slides and several other toys.

Pictures of the water toys:

2319802100102143995S425x425Q85.jpg

2159466480102143995S200x200Q85.jpg

2404351160102143995S425x425Q85.jpg

Next on the path we came to the beach bar area. The bar offers frozen piña coladas and daiquiris, a selection of local and imported beers, mixed drinks, water, sodas.

Pictures of the bar area:

2889013360102143995S425x425Q85.jpg

Yvette is one of the nicest people that you want to meet. We spent at least an hour later in the day talking to her. She is a riot. She will make sure that you are having a great time!!!! (plus she will kick your butt in connect 4) Please make sure to say HI to her if you happen to stop in.

2316166610102143995S425x425Q85.jpg

They had some specials on beer, and alot cheaper than on the boat, so we had to try some local beer...David was another one of their wonderful employees....by the way HAPPY BIRTHDAY AGAIN!!!

They also do Karaoke at the bar...everyone sounds great after a drink.

2872915030102143995S425x425Q85.jpg

2276727550102143995S425x425Q85.jpg

Next we came to the food area. It is nicely covered in shade and had plenty of seats. The food was amazing. My husband had the hamburger and said it was much better than the food Carnival served at Half Moon Cay. My daughter has the chicken sandwich and had it finished in seconds flat. It definitely filled you up.

2714805140102143995S425x425Q85.jpg

2511364170102143995S425x425Q85.jpg

Along the whole left side of the walk way was beach area. It extended past the food area for about another ¼ of a mile. The beach area was to die for. There were plenty of lounge chairs, hammocks, chairs and umbrellas.

2919497290102143995S425x425Q85.jpg

2035379990102143995S425x425Q85.jpg

Archived