I can't stand the wait so I....

MsSoCalCruiser

My next cruise isn't until October and I can't stand the wait so I booked the BVE for next weekend. If I beg, do you think they will let me go with them? You never know, I might cry when they kick me off of the ship.;)
Good for you! It wouldn't have occurred to me to book a BVE without accompanying someone who's sailing on the ship. Which ship?

BVE = Bon Voyage Experience. You get to play on the ship for the day.

Can you get a FCC while on board? If so what a great way to get one if you have run out and need one.
If you live close to the port, it's a great idea. :) I'm only about 45 minutes away. Hmmm... what a great way to spend the day or introduce a friend to cruising.

My next cruise isn't until October and I can't stand the wait so I booked the BVE for next weekend. If I beg, do you think they will let me go with them? You never know, I might cry when they kick me off of the ship.;)

That's what I did a couple of weeks ago! For the opposite reason, though. I've been booked for well over a year for my Sept/Oct cruises and I was trying to kick up the excitement level...it worked!!

I even got my "Steward-to-be" to let me take a peek at my "cabin-to-be" (it's one of the four "sideways" insides and I'd never seen one "in person").

The Future Cruise Consultant overheard a stowaway remark I made and said she'd put me to work filing and licking envelopes. She was kidding...I wasn't :D!

Pam I need a few FCC and I live in Santa Clarita. I wish I had thought about this when we booked the Royal Transatlantic. We had none left.

I don't think I could do it....would kill me to have to get off!!!
I wouldn't have a problem. Even a few hours is better than nothing. I'd think of it as going to lunch and the equivalent of going to a park or event afterwards. :)

I could not do a BVE and then get off the ship. It would just be toooo painful. I'd like to do one while on another ship doing B2B cruises. I could handle getting off of one ship only to get back on another. But to have to go home afterwards....it would be worse, I think, than coming home after touring model homes worth 2 or 3 times mine. And I've learned that that's not fun.

That's what I did a couple of weeks ago! For the opposite reason, though. I've been booked for well over a year for my Sept/Oct cruises and I was trying to kick up the excitement level...it worked!!

I even got my "Steward-to-be" to let me take a peek at my "cabin-to-be" (it's one of the four "sideways" insides and I'd never seen one "in person").

The Future Cruise Consultant overheard a stowaway remark I made and said she'd put me to work filing and licking envelopes. She was kidding...I wasn't :D!

How did you like the "sideways" inside cabin? I actually had one booked for a 1/2014 cruise but I cancelled that cruise.

If I want to buy a FCC, I wonder if they take cash, check or credit card.

I forgot to add that the $39.00 will be credited towards the cost of the next cruise booked if I book within 90 days. Which, looking back, I totally messed up because I booked a 3 day cruise this morning.:o

How did you like the "sideways" inside cabin? I actually had one booked for a 1/2014 cruise but I cancelled that cruise.

Ok, can someone explain to me. . .what is a "sideways" cabin?

If I want to buy a FCC, I wonder if they take cash, check or credit card.

When friends did the Bon Voyage Experience with us, they had to provide a credit card number for any onboard purchases. I don't know about FCCs being available, however - but since the FCC is the leader of the tour, you could ask the FCC about FCCs :)

If you live close to the port, it's a great idea. :) I'm only about 45 minutes away. Hmmm... what a great way to spend the day or introduce a friend to cruising.

My thoughts exactly, Pam. I wouldn't mind going to see the upgrades on the Sapphire. I would have never thought of this. I thought you had to accompany someone who was on the current cruise.

Just to verify - can you only do this if someone you know is on the sailing or can you just book it? Also, is it all guided or do you get some time on your own?

I don't think I could do it....would kill me to have to get off!!!

I could do it. Only wish I knew about sooner. I think the Sapphire might be heading to Alaska but I'm going to check! I've spent half that amount for a nice lunch. The chance to have a nice lunch, tour the upgraded Sapphire and maybe sit in a lounge chair with a drink for an hour would be so worth it to me:D

I could do it. Only wish I knew about sooner. I think the Sapphire might be heading to Alaska but I'm going to check! I've spent half that amount for a nice lunch. The chance to have a nice lunch, tour the upgraded Sapphire and maybe sit in a lounge chair with a drink for an hour would be so worth it to me:D
Only two options until September and they're both this week: the Coral on Wednesday and the Sapphire next Saturday. Darn... I'm tempted.

It was strange to see something so different and so familiar at the same time...I think I'm going to like it. Good thing since I'll be in it for two weeks! The only concern I have is the proximity of the door to the bed in comparison to standard cabins. I'm sure it will not not be a problem, though.

Ok, can someone explain to me. . .what is a "sideways" cabin?

If you look at deck plans of the larger ships, you'll see four cabins just aft of the midships elevators on the deck below Lido (Aloha or Rivera depending on the ship). They're set sideways, are a little larger and have a different layout than the normal Inside/Oceanview/Balcony cabin area.

Just to verify - can you only do this if someone you know is on the sailing or can you just book it? Also, is it all guided or do you get some time on your own?

You can just book it by calling Princess. Once you're on board you can do whatever you please. A guided tour is offered. Lunch with wine in the dining room is included, but this time hubby decided to eat his way from one end of the ship to the other :eek:!

We were in R515, a sideways cabin, on the Emerald for B2B cruises in 2010. We really liked the cabin, but probably won't book one again.

We liked:

- The extra counter space (his and hers!)

- The extra floor space

We didn't like:

- the proximity of the beds to the door. Light and noise creep through.

- closets with doors. I learned not to put beach shoes in a closed closet with clothes. Also, it's almost impossible to store a larger suitcase in the closet, whereas we have no trouble doing that with the open closets.

- the mid-ship location. The mid-ship elevators are more crowded, and have the two panoramic elevators on a different system. People push both sets of elevator buttons and the elevators stop at every floor and there's no one there. Also, there was a lot of noise in the hallway from people getting off the elevators and talking loudly as they walked to their cabins.

- the new cabin categories may be different, but category II never seem to drop as much as lower inside categories do. A $50 premium for the sideways cabins might be worth it; more than that is not (to us).

Only two options until September and they're both this week: the Coral on Wednesday and the Sapphire next Saturday. Darn... I'm tempted.

Pam, let's talk tomorrow. I don't think the Coral can be done as I looked at Princess' site and it said you have to book 6 days in advance. I'm all for the Sapphire next Saturday if I can book it. I'm going to call first thing tomorrow. I am hoping they give at least an hour of free time. I would love to sit in a lounger and drink a Mucho Mango!:D

This could be a very fun fall! I haven't been on the Coral or Golden.

It was strange to see something so different and so familiar at the same time...I think I'm going to like it. Good thing since I'll be in it for two weeks! The only concern I have is the proximity of the door to the bed in comparison to standard cabins. I'm sure it will not not be a problem, though.

If you look at deck plans of the larger ships, you'll see four cabins just aft of the midships elevators on the deck below Lido (Aloha or Rivera depending on the ship). They're set sideways, are a little larger and have a different layout than the normal Inside/Oceanview/Balcony cabin area.

You can just book it by calling Princess. Once you're on board you can do whatever you please. A guided tour is offered. Lunch with wine in the dining room is included, but this time hubby decided to eat his way from one end of the ship to the other :eek:!

I'm hoping, hoping, hoping I can book this tomorrow for next Saturday. Sounds great if you don't have to particpate in the guided tour. I would love to just explore on my own and do what your hubby did - go where I wanted for lunch. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Pam, let's talk tomorrow. I don't think the Coral can be done as I looked at Princess' site and it said you have to book 6 days in advance. I'm all for the Sapphire next Saturday if I can book it. I'm going to call first thing tomorrow. I am hoping they give at least an hour of free time. I would love to sit in a lounger and drink a Mucho Mango!:D

This could be a very fun fall! I haven't been on the Coral or Golden.

Yeah. I'm torn. The Laguna Beach Food Truck Festival is next Saturday and I was planning to go but Erica may not be able to. We'll talk tomorrow.

Archived