Viking Ship Embla not leaving from Nuremberg

celebrationtiger

The Viking ship Embla is not sailing from Nuremberg on Sunday. The Viking company is proposing putting everyone in a hotel in Nuremberg Sunday night and then busing the passengers two hours to pick up the boat at another port ( Vilshofen) because the water in Nuremberg is too shallow. If you are paying almost $3000.00 per night to stay on the ship how should you be compensated when a hotel room is not even 10% of that cost? :( So far the Viking company had only offered a cruise credit of $250.00 per person . :( They need to come up with a more individualized plan!!!!!!!!!!? or lose their credibility as a luxury operation.

Can not imagine paying $3000 per night, just call me cheap. Granted the Embla looks like a lovely ship but... You can't blame mother nature for the low water levels and yes it is unfortunate but nothing can be done. We were on a Viking cruise last December on the Rhine and we spent our first 3 nights in hotels and being bused around, was not an ideal situation and yes we were disappointed but it can't ruin your vacation inless you let it. It's only one night, enjoy the remaining ones!

Celebrationtiger,

I see that this is your first post on Cruise Critic. I have just looked at the Viking pricing for the

cruise, and in the most expensive suite it is $8900 or so. I cannot imagine how you could come up with $21,000 for the cruise.

The only way would be to figure the Explorer Suite for 2 plus airfare. That being the case, the airfare is the same cost whether you are on the ship or in a hotel.

Things like this happen, and be thankful that you are in a hotel for only one night.

The Viking ship Embla is not sailing from Nuremberg on Sunday. The Viking company is proposing putting everyone in a hotel in Nuremberg Sunday night and then busing the passengers two hours to pick up the boat at another port ( Vilshofen) because the water in Nuremberg is too shallow. If you are paying almost $3000.00 per night to stay on the ship how should you be compensated when a hotel room is not even 10% of that cost? :( So far the Viking company had only offered a cruise credit of $250.00 per person . :( They need to come up with a more individualized plan!!!!!!!!!!? or lose their credibility as a luxury operation.

Dear celebrationtiger,

We understand your disappointment with the need for an itinerary change. Unfortunately, the water level now being too low for Viking Embla to reach Nuremberg is beyond our control. We contacted our Customer Relations team on your behalf and understand that they have been in contact with you today a few times and are currently looking into some of your additional concerns not listed here. We hope it was expressed to you that our intent is for our guests to still visit each city and take each tour, as promised. We believe that you have a great trip ahead of you and hope the minimal changes to the itinerary will not be as unpleasant as you might anticipate.

If you have any other concerns or questions, or if you would like to speak with Customer Relations again, we ask that you contact us at TellUs@vikingrivercruises.com.

I don't doubt that this incident happened but I am surprised that no other cruise line has had a similar problem with low water in Nuremberg. Perhaps these new Viking boats have a "draft problem".

While we cannot speak for any other river cruise lines, we did everything possible to make sure that we informed our guests as soon as possible. There is also the fact that we do have many more ships on the river, and therefore more guests on Cruise Critic.

Sincerely,

Viking River Cruises

One further comment, celebrationtiger, where did you get the impression Viking was a luxury operation?

They do a good job, and have a lot of ships, but IMO, they do not compare to AMA and Tauck.

As in the Ocean cruise business, there is a line for everyone, from Carnival to Silverseas, and many in between.

Water levels apparently are quite low on the Rhine as well as the Danube so those of us cruising in the next little while may be in for a lot of bus rides!

Yes, but with this kind of money ($21000), I'd expect cruise company pumping additional water into Danube to make it passable.

because the water in Nuremberg is too shallow

The problem is not at Nuremberg, as the river level on the canal obviously does not really change :)

The low water situation is at Straubing, between Regensburg and Passau. But as you can see, the situation has improved and levels are slightly rising again. http://www.rivercruiseinfo.com/content/river-levels-danube

The Rhine also has a significant fresh water peak at Strasbourg, so the water levels will rise further downstream over the next few days. http://www.rivercruiseinfo.com/content/river-levels-rhine

Yes, but with this kind of money ($21000), I'd expect cruise company pumping additional water into Danube to make it passable.

With that kind of money I#d expect them to bribe those environmental activist groups who prevent an improvement on the danube stretch in question.. :)

Thanks for the links.

Very useful. Bookmarked.

The problem is not at Nuremberg, as the river level on the canal obviously does not really change :)

The low water situation is at Straubing, between Regensburg and Passau. But as you can see, the situation has improved and levels are slightly rising again. http://www.rivercruiseinfo.com/content/river-levels-danube

The Rhine also has a significant fresh water peak at Strasbourg, so the water levels will rise further downstream over the next few days. http://www.rivercruiseinfo.com/content/river-levels-rhine

With that kind of money I#d expect them to bribe those environmental activist groups who prevent an improvement on the danube stretch in question.. :)

Hi Ingo e

Those charts of the water levels, am I reading them correctly that the levels are decreasing through the early part of September? You stated that the levels are rising so I must be reading the charts incorrectly since they look to me like by the end of August, levels will be very low. Thanks for your help.

I cannot imagine how you paid that much for a cruise. Based on what we paid (for a french balcony) I would think that the compensation is appropriate. No vacation ever goes perfectly. You have to get beyond it and enjoy your trip. It sounds like Viking is doing what they can for a situation that is beyond their control.

Look again . I have the bill in front of me. Maybe there is a promotion now, but the total for the Explorer Suite Cabin 340 for 7 nights was $20,008, That did not include any airfare, transfers or insurance! All cruise prices are determined by how many nights you are on the boat.......if the boat is not available you should not be charged as if you are on it! Compensation should be based on the different costs of different suites.....We have been to all the stops and really just wanted to relax on the new boat....We are tring to work it out..

One further comment, celebrationtiger, where did you get the impression Viking was a luxury operation?

They do a good job, and have a lot of ships, but IMO, they do not compare to AMA and Tauck.

As in the Ocean cruise business, there is a line for everyone, from Carnival to Silverseas, and many in between.

Thank you for your info. We have often be on Silver Sea and Regent and always buy the big suites. I hesitated to go on a river cruise because the suites are so small until Viking built these new boats with the Explorerer suites in the aft. We have been in 135 countries and have visited the cities on this itinerary before by car. We just wanted to sit on the deck and cruise the river. And I would love to know how you came up with your costs? Obviously the price I paid for seven nights is for two persons,$20,008 ,without air, insurance ,etc. Did I get overcharged? At that price I had every right to assume this was a luxury cruise.

celebrationtiger,

BTW, there´s not much chance to sit on the deck while cruising the canal anyway. There are some extrem low bridges and usually the sun deck is closed for the whole canal part of the cruise. Deck chairs, rails, pilot house - everything has to be "folded down" (actually the pilot house can be raised up and down).

Currently the Lower Mississippi River is on extreme low water and the American Queen Steamboat Company has to alter their cruises too. So the next cruise starting on Aug 20th won´t be ending in Vicksburgh but in Memphis. The boat would be able to go to Vicksburgh but there´s a pretty high risk of towboats with barges getting stuck in the mud and blocking all river traffic.

So it´s not just a problem of the Danube river right now. It´s the same in the US!! BTW it rained most of the day yesterday here South of the Danube river and there should be some water flowing towards the Danube river right now. But the forecast has pretty high temps for the weekend and the beginning of next week (36°C, upper 90ies for you). So no more rain in sight.

steamboats

All I can say is WOW

Looking at the website for an 8 day from Budapest to Nurnburg the suite says starting from $6556.

I cannot imagine the cost would be that much more for the reverse or what possible extras they added to charge close $10,000. :eek:

celebrationtiger,

BTW, there´s not much chance to sit on the deck while cruising the canal anyway. There are some extrem low bridges and usually the sun deck is closed for the whole canal part of the cruise. Deck chairs, rails, pilot house - everything has to be "folded down" (actually the pilot house can be raised up and down)......

steamboats

Steamboats, you are not familiar with the new Viking ships. The top main deck has two suites in the rear with balconies. They are not talking about the sun deck; but the level below. I can understand their frustration; but no one can predict the weather. Just the other day, in NYC, we received nearly 3 inches of rain in just over an hour. Major flooding, airport delays for hours, so unfortunately Europe is not having the same problem. But, if they paid that much for the cruise 1 night delay is not that bad. They will probably get a hotel suite instead of a basic room at the hotel for the 1 night in question.

Newfirsttimer:

Those charts of the water levels, am I reading them correctly that the levels are decreasing through the early part of September? You stated that the levels are rising so I must be reading the charts incorrectly since they look to me like by the end of August, levels will be very low. Thanks for your help.

No, the charts just show the last month (X0 = -30 days) chart. So the most actual level is to the right. Also keep in mind, the Y-scale differs. On the Danube: the levels are rising, e.g. the Danube / Straubing level went up from 106cm (08/16) to 125cm average the next day. At the moment it is alreay up at 154cm. The other thing i meant: Check out the Rhine / Plittersdorf, Rhine / Maxau .. level rises again with a bit delay it will therefore also mean a higher water level on the stations downstream..

Steamboats:

Thanks! I´ve already wondered how there could be a low water situation in the canal...:D:eek::DThe Danube river near Straubing makes much more sense :D!

As we say in Franconia: De nada :)

All I can say is WOW

Looking at the website for an 8 day from Budapest to Nurnburg the suite says starting from $6556.

I cannot imagine the cost would be that much more for the reverse or what possible extras they added to charge close $10,000. :eek:

It is $10,004 pp for this year. For 2013 Viking dropped the price to $8,956.

If you look back through prior posts you will find other cruise lines have been affected by low or high water levels. $21,000 or $2,100 - everyone on the ship is inconvenienced in the same way.

I'm sorry but I've looked everywhere and I can't find one other cruiseline that has been effected by any low water at Nuremberg this week. The OP wrote about a sailing for this Sunday that had been effected. It's probably my imagination but it always appears to be a Viking boat that is effected by low water way before any other line.

Archived