Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Caribbean > Progreso/Merida (Mexico)

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old July 20th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Question best beach place for family to eat and play

Any recomendations on a beach place where the kids can play around that has food and drinks? Is Progresso a town you walk around or do you need to catch cabs? Thanks

Old July 20th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Cool

If you stay in Progreso everything is walkable. My favorite restaurant is le Saint Bonnet on the Malecon (beachside street). Great whole deep fried snapper. Keep reading this board and checkout www.yucatantoday.com for more information. I'll be heading back to Merida. Love it there.
Lots of choices for your day.

Last edited by hdawson; July 20th, 2010 at 07:26 PM.

Old July 21st, 2010, 01:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2boyz View Post
Any recomendations on a beach place where the kids can play around that has food and drinks?

Is Progresso a town you walk around or do you need to catch cabs? Thanks
You will catch a "shuttle" bus that will drop you right at the tourist market. The pier at Progresso is extremely long, so they have the free shuttle bus. Across the street from that will be the stop for the tourist bus. From here, you will be able to walk a few blocks to the beach. You will find lots of places right there at the beach to eat and drink at. You should not need a cab, but you may want to do the tour bus.($3pp, I think) When we got off the ship at Progresso they had Folklorico Dancers performing that was cool. There was also a boat of Federales their, don't let it scare you, but when I first saw I kinda flinched. When we were getting back on the ship, they were posing for pictures and stuff too. Hope that helps!

Old July 21st, 2010, 02:09 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Cool

And there is usually a military ship of some kind on Cozumel also. Not at all unusual in foreign ports. Actually, probably the same as our Coast Guard.