Bed Bugs on Azamara Journey

ad1979

Curious to hear if any other guests on the Journey, particularly the cruise that debarked in Stockholm have reported any bed bugs.

My mother and I were informed, four days in, that we had a bed bug infestation in our room. We were moved to a room with no balcony, unlike our original room, and informed that our matresses would be replaced, the room fumigated, and our laundry and drycleaning done. But on the completion of this, they moved us BACK into the infested room (no upgrade, no compensation, nothing).

Well, it wasn't good, but it didn't seem that bad as neither my mother nor I showed any symptoms of bites.

Until two weeks after we were informed, when I am COVERED in bites, my back, neck, legs, hands, feet. My mother doesn't have it as bad as I do.

For everyone's reference, we were in 725. Even though I'm glad that they informed us, I cannot even begin to relate to you the emotional and financial toll this has had on us over the past two weeks. We have both thrown out our suitcases, running shoes, hairbrushes, called in exterminators to our homes, paid for doctor's visits, and had all of our clothes recleaned. My mother contacted Azamara on completion of the trip and hasn't heard back yet. At first it seemed like they were trying to convince us that we had brought them onboard, but due to the nature and number of my bites, that would be impossible. I also contacted the other hotel where we stayed prior and they have responded saying that they have found nothing. It is my belief that the cabin was infested prior to us getting there, and it would be real nice at this point if the company would respond and perhaps offer some sore to compensation for our troubles.

Needless to say, I am NEVER cruising again, not with Azamara or any other line at this point, too stressful and emotionally draining.

Curious to hear if any other guests on the Journey, particularly the cruise that debarked in Stockholm have reported any bed bugs.

My mother and I were informed, four days in, that we had a bed bug infestation in our room. We were moved to a room with no balcony, unlike our original room, and informed that our matresses would be replaced, the room fumigated, and our laundry and drycleaning done. But on the completion of this, they moved us BACK into the infested room (no upgrade, no compensation, nothing).

Well, it wasn't good, but it didn't seem that bad as neither my mother nor I showed any symptoms of bites.

Until two weeks after we were informed, when I am COVERED in bites, my back, neck, legs, hands, feet. My mother doesn't have it as bad as I do.

For everyone's reference, we were in 725. Even though I'm glad that they informed us, I cannot even begin to relate to you the emotional and financial toll this has had on us over the past two weeks. We have both thrown out our suitcases, running shoes, hairbrushes, called in exterminators to our homes, paid for doctor's visits, and had all of our clothes recleaned. My mother contacted Azamara on completion of the trip and hasn't heard back yet. At first it seemed like they were trying to convince us that we had brought them onboard, but due to the nature and number of my bites, that would be impossible. I also contacted the other hotel where we stayed prior and they have responded saying that they have found nothing. It is my belief that the cabin was infested prior to us getting there, and it would be real nice at this point if the company would respond and perhaps offer some sore to compensation for our troubles.

Needless to say, I am NEVER cruising again, not with Azamara or any other line at this point, too stressful and emotionally draining.

OP can you clear up a few things for me? I am a little confused :confused:

You say you were in room 725, as far as I know the ships room numbers are 4 digits not three. So what room was it?

You say you were showing no signs of bites when you were informed of the infestation in your room, but two weeks later you were covered in bites? How long was the cruise? Did you extend your stay in Stockholm-maybe you picked them up there? It seems that we are missing a few details in order to comment on your post.

Also as this is your first post, how did you find your way here AFTER your cruise?

:confused::rolleyes::confused::rolleyes:

OP can you clear up a few things for me? I am a little confused :confused:

You say you were in room 725, as far as I know the ships room numbers are 4 digits not three. So what room was it?

You say you were showing no signs of bites when you were informed of the infestation in your room, but two weeks later you were covered in bites? How long was the cruise? Did you extend your stay in Stockholm-maybe you picked them up there? It seems that we are missing a few details in order to comment on your post.

Also as this is your first post, how did you find your way here AFTER your cruise?

:confused::rolleyes::confused::rolleyes:

Those are very very good questions. I do not understand how these bites showed up two weeks after the cruise. I would like the answers to the questions posted before I can pass judgement, either way.....

Hi Ad1979

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Sorry to hear of your reported experience. Sadly, Bed bugs are a big time nuisance these days, and we read about them visiting all sorts of places. It's not only a cruise line concern... it's everyone's concern. You might wish to double check the cabin number mentioned in your post, as Azamara has no cabins in that number range.

If you are seeking compensation, this would be a customer service issue, and you (or your Travel Agent) will need to contact Azamara directly. Here's a link to Azamara contact information : http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/contact-us

All the best wishes to you, in whatever future vacation you choose. Good Luck !

Edited by Host Andy

Bedbug bites can take up to 2 weeks to appear, though most people react by late the next morning.

I am NOT making any implication of the veracity of the initial posting.

Edited by azevedan

So sorry to hear about your problem! Also concerned as I am cruising on the Journey in November. Is there a digit missing in your cabin number above, and if so, can you give us the correct cabin?

Hello Perlgirlnj -

I was sorry to read about "Ad1979's" experience and appreciate Andy 's wise guidance related to compensation.

As Andy mentioned, the prevalence of these critters occurs throughout the hospitality industry. To address your concern about your forthcoming Journey voyage, I have asked for information from our hotel operation's team about our complete program to deal with bed bugs including the inspection, prevention and housekeeping training process along with the corrective procedures if signs of infestation are discovered.

Please stay tuned for my response.

Best regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

Need to correct one item, the cabin number was 7025 not 725 as originally reported.

I do not have bed bugs in my home, and this has been recently confirmed by an exterminator visit.

The only place that I have stayed that has admitted bed bugs is the Azamara Journey.

The number of bites that I have is consistent with a full infestation (over 100). A full infestation typically takes at least 7 days due to the bed bugs mating and birth cycle. Therefore, as we were informed of this four days into the cruise, it would be impossible for us to have brought them onboard with us.

It is also quite typical for reactions to be delayed up to 2 weeks, I first noticed the bites appearing on the Thursday after the cruise., which would be 10 full days from the "treatment" that Azamara applied.

Here is a link to an article that describes delayed reactions if anyone is interested:

http://www.pctonline.com/PCT1002_bedbugs.aspx

I hope that it answers everyone's questions.

Not our cabin, thankfully, but it is our deck so I will stay tuned to this issue. We always check in hotels since learning about the issue last year but haven't cruised in the interim. I'm not surprised that it would turn up on ships as well--they are floating hotels after all. But what a way to ruin a vacation!

Need to correct one item, the cabin number was 7025 not 725 as originally reported.

I do not have bed bugs in my home, and this has been recently confirmed by an exterminator visit.

The only place that I have stayed that has admitted bed bugs is the Azamara Journey.

The number of bites that I have is consistent with a full infestation (over 100). A full infestation typically takes at least 7 days due to the bed bugs mating and birth cycle. Therefore, as we were informed of this four days into the cruise, it would be impossible for us to have brought them onboard with us.

It is also quite typical for reactions to be delayed up to 2 weeks, I first noticed the bites appearing on the Thursday after the cruise., which would be 10 full days from the "treatment" that Azamara applied.

Here is a link to an article that describes delayed reactions if anyone is interested:

http://www.pctonline.com/PCT1002_bedbugs.aspx

I hope that it answers everyone's questions.

Thank you for the further information. Very distressing. I am glad they did not travel home with you !!! Sorry to hear this news.

Not our cabin, thankfully, but it is our deck so I will stay tuned to this issue. We always check in hotels since learning about the issue last year but haven't cruised in the interim. I'm not surprised that it would turn up on ships as well--they are floating hotels after all. But what a way to ruin a vacation!

Hello Perlgirlnj and other readers -

I've heard back from our Vice President of Hotel Operations who shared with me the comprehensive program they have in place to address the bed bug issue:

§ Each stateroom is checked for the presence of bed bugs as part of the daily cleaning procedures.

§ Each stateroom attendant has been trained how to identify the presence of bedbugs.

§ We keep logs of each inspection and these are kept onboard for 7 years which enables future recurrent inspections .

If bed bugs are found, they have an effective prescribed insecticide methodology for treatment in place for extermination which includes fumigating and deep cleaning the stateroom as well as removing all soft goods for high temperature washing separate from all other goods.

Finally, he expressed the company's awareness that bed bugs are becoming an issue globally and that no one in the hotel hospitality industry, on sea or land, is immune from the risk of a bed bug infestation. That explains the daily due-diligence exercised by our housekeeping staff and the Chief Housekeeper during the stateroom cleaning procedures. Also, each vessel is staffed with an Environmental Officer.

He mentioned that the onboard officers and staff, take any guest comment about bed bugs and/or any bites very seriously. In fact, if a guest reports any bites, their stateroom and the adjoining staterooms are inspected immediately.

I hope this information eases your understandable concerns and that you'll be able to focus with excitement on your forthcoming Azamara Journey vacation in November.

Best regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Thank you Bill

I hope those that expressed negative comments towards the OP are no longer doubting her.

Just because it's a 1st post for her, doesn't mean it wasn't a valid or factual post.

Will Azamara compensate for the additional cost passengers accrue when they return home because of this ? Medical costs, time off from work, cleaning bills etc etc

Viaggio

FWIW-Most people do not have a reaction to bedbug bites, which is the reason the critters are unwittingly spread so easily and widely. For those who do have a reaction the bites can be quite miserable.

I don't like even the thought of bedbugs. I am sure AZAMARA dislikes them more than me! I would think that a bedbug is the last kind of PAX that Azamara wants on board and will do back flips to get rid of them.

Thank you Bill

I hope those that expressed negative comments towards the OP are no longer doubting her.

Just because it's a 1st post for her, doesn't mean it wasn't a valid or factual post.

Will Azamara compensate for the additional cost passengers accrue when they return home because of this ? Medical costs, time off from work, cleaning bills etc etc

Viaggio

can Bill Leiber please give us an update,,,and answer above question about compensation,,,

Am considering booking a cruise,,,but waiting to hear how this was handled...:confused:

Azamara will not give out details of individual customer situations on these boards (and rightly so).

If this is putting you off booking an Azamara Cruise, does it not also put you off holidaying anywhere away from home. I think Bill's response on their overall policy should be sufficient comfort for you as it would appear the cruiseline's policy is as comprehensive as it could be and I would bet it is far more robust than many 5 star hotels

can Bill Leiber please give us an update,,,and answer above question about compensation,,,

Am considering booking a cruise,,,but waiting to hear how this was handled...:confused:

Hi Alexandra Cruiser,

Regarding compensation - I would not expect Mr Leiber to discuss such issues, as it's related to an individual booking.

Hello Alexandra Cruiser -

You mentioned that you were considering booking with Azamara and would base your decision on the outcome of this customer relation bed-bug issue. As Host Andy and others have already stated, it's not prudent for me to discuss details about an individual booking on Cruise Critic or any other message board.

My best advice, therefore, is for you to review our comprehensive protocol for managing the bed-bug issue and then make your decision accordingly.

We do hope that we have the opportunity of welcoming you onboard in the future.

Best regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

One would think what a cruise line does to prevent bedbugs would be a more important decision factor than what compensation it gives in the rare case of an outbreak. Better not to be exposed to bedbugs than to be compensated for having been so.

Just the thought of bed bugs makes me sick. It has become a real problem. Once bed bugs invade, it is very hard to get rid of them. What I don't understand is why Azamara moved you back into the infested cabin. If it had been me, there would be no way that I could have stayed in that cabin. You deserve compensation......and not future cruise credits. I hope that you get reimbursed for your expenses. Have you talked to customer service?

I am pleased to report that we have been able to make contact with the executive customer service division at Azamara and have been in discussions with them for the past two weeks.

To get this type of consideration, please know that I did email the entire executive board as the listed customer service line proved unhelpful at best.

The executive service division was extremely responsive and helpful and we were able as of this morning to come to an agreement.

It was a pleasure dealing with Aurora and Cynthia and we look forward to another cruise on Azamara without incident in the future.

I am pleased to report that we have been able to make contact with the executive customer service division at Azamara and have been in discussions with them for the past two weeks.

To get this type of consideration, please know that I did email the entire executive board as the listed customer service line proved unhelpful at best.

The executive service division was extremely responsive and helpful and we were able as of this morning to come to an agreement.

It was a pleasure dealing with Aurora and Cynthia and we look forward to another cruise on Azamara without incident in the future.

Congratulations!!!! You have handled this issue very well indeed!!!Happy Sailing!

Just the thought of bed bugs makes me sick. It has become a real problem. Once bed bugs invade, it is very hard to get rid of them. What I don't understand is why Azamara moved you back into the infested cabin. If it had been me, there would be no way that I could have stayed in that cabin. You deserve compensation......and not future cruise credits. I hope that you get reimbursed for your expenses. Have you talked to customer service?

A big ditto...while it may have worked out well...there are no excuses for bed bugs. Hotels, cruise ships and the like should be doing anything preventable so this does not happen and if they do the necessary steps to prevent them, it does not happen. Bed bugs are one of the first things I look for when entering any hotel room....the thought makes me cringe.