Nynashamn Port to Train Station to Stockholm

Thundercat

Hello,

I know this has been mentioned before but I cannot find the post. Can someone please explain how to get to the train station in Nynashamn so we can travel to Stockholm. Also anything else you think we would need to know ( price, time, ect.. )

Thanks and God Bless.....

Reproduced below are extracts from 2 different posts.

Are you on the 9/12/05 Star Princess? We have a small

group planning to do the train.

1. Try to be off the ship before 8. The tender in Nynashamn takes not more than 15 minutes. As soon as the tender drops you off at the dock, walk toward your left with your back facing the sea. (Another person put it this way: Go left when you get out of the pier area at the fork in the road.) Walk along the coast and you should pass some rail. If you pass a big Ferry Terminal (Ferry to Tallinn), you are on the right track. It will take you about 15-20 minutes to walk to the station. You should see a small church on top of the hill on the right when you reach the train station. The train station is called Nynashamn Train Station (there is another small train station, which you should not use). They do not take US$ or credit cards on the train. You can buy a ticket in the little shop that sells sundries at the station.

The train costs SEK 75 per person each way if you pay onboard.

2 Once ashore, it is a 15 minute walk to the left (south) to the small Nynashamn train station. Tickets are available for 95 Swedish Krona ($14) at the small kiosk just before the station (which takes credit cards). Tickets for seniors are 45 SK ($8).

/Sultan

Tickets are available for 95 Swedish Krona ($14) at the small kiosk just before the station (which takes credit cards). Tickets for seniors are 45 SK ($8).

/Sultan

The 95 kronor tickets are what is known as the 1 day/24 hour travel card and is good for not only the Nynashamn train but for buses and the subway system once you reach the city.

Skåll

Al

• 2 weeks later...

We purchased the Stockholm Card which also gave us admission to the Vasa Museam and City Hall. It will also give you many other admissions, however that was all the time we had after a walking tour of Gamla Stan to make the 2pm train back. It's a shame that there isn't more time in Stockholm. Visit www.stockholmtown.com

• 1 month later...

Sultan, no ferry to Tallin from Nynäshamn, Riga, Gdansk and Gotland are the destinations where the ferries running to.

As for timetabel for the train http://www.sl.se/english/ and you can

buy ticket onboard

Do remember that the train from Stockholm to Nynäshamn sometimes only

the 4 first wagons go all the way (the rest stops halfways at Västerhaninge).

• 2 months later...

Train ride is 45-60 minutes. Just remember to be in one of the first cars on your return. There is a stop on the way back where the back of the train is taken off! We managed to catch the 2:30 train back to the ship, wish we would have had more time in Stockholm. It is a great city.

Mary

Hello!

Train times for Nynashamn/Stockholm 7:37,8:07,8:37,9:07,10:07,11:07 weekdays (weekend omit 7:37 & 8:37). Return trains from Stockholm 11:52,12:52,1:52 & 2:52 (usually from platform 13). You must be with Princess as I think no other cruise line stops at Nynashamn. If so, the last train you can possibly get is the 2:52pm. Check in the ticket booth at the platform entry if your train will split cars.Not all do.This gets you back to Nynashamn just before 4:00pm and the last launch to the ship leaves at 4:45pm. It's about a 20 minute walk back to the launch dock from Nynashamn station.

Incidentally, Happy New Year to all Cruise Critics! I'm looking forward to being aboard Star Princess throughout the summer again and if you have any questions about the cruise I'll do my best to answer them for you. Best wishes.

John Lawrence, Cruise Director

Hello!

Train times for Nynashamn/Stockholm 7:37,8:07,8:37,9:07,10:07,11:07 weekdays (weekend omit 7:37 & 8:37). Return trains from Stockholm 11:52,12:52,1:52 & 2:52 (usually from platform 13). You must be with Princess as I think no other cruise line stops at Nynashamn. If so, the last train you can possibly get is the 2:52pm. Check in the ticket booth at the platform entry if your train will split cars.Not all do.This gets you back to Nynashamn just before 4:00pm and the last launch to the ship leaves at 4:45pm. It's about a 20 minute walk back to the launch dock from Nynashamn station.

Incidentally, Happy New Year to all Cruise Critics! I'm looking forward to being aboard Star Princess throughout the summer again and if you have any questions about the cruise I'll do my best to answer them for you. Best wishes.

John Lawrence, Cruise Director

John,

Thank you so much for participation in our daily discussion what tp do or not to do. I would like to tell you how delighted we are that you will be our CD on Star Princess cruising in Baltic. I have been telling everybody we have met over 28 cruises that you are the best CD we sailed back on old Sky Princess early 90s.

God bless you.

"keep cruising and life wouldn't be boring."

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Question for JohnLCD:

Would you please explain the Visa procedures in St. Pete. Who needs it? etc

Thanks

Isabella - if you take a ship's tour or a private excursions such as Denrus or RO you will not need a Visa. If you intend to go on your own in St. Petersburg you will need to obtain a Visa.

Can anyone tell me if the Stockholm Card will cover the train fare from Nynäshamn to Stockholm central station and back? I see that you can purchase a 95 SEK '24 hr travelcard' that will cover this fare. What I am not clear on is, if I pre-purchase a Stockholm Card, will that train fare be covered for this route?

Thanks!

Hi Delores,

At present the plans are for me to be aboard Star Princess for the entire Baltic season, so all things being well I look forward to seeing you on Sept 2nd

John

Hi John,

Loved your Baltics DVD! We're on the 9/12 and 9/22 back to back. Are you also doing the crossing?

Donna

rkdahl, the Stockholm transport card will cover the train to and from Nynäshamn.

However, there may no longer be any reason to buy these cards. It has been annonced that starting in May we will have a new pay system on Stockholm public transport. Each journey will cost SEK 20, regardless of how far you travel. So one ride from Nynäshamn to Stockholm (takes 1 hour) will be SEK 20, one ride within Stockholm (maybe 10 minutes) will be the same SEK 20. Going from Nynäshamn to Stockholm and back again on the train will be only SEK 40, and that means the card will not very likely be worth buying.

Now this is only early information about a coming change, the new prices are not published yet. So to know for sure we will have to wait till later.

There are two different Stockholm cards. One is the Stockholm Transport Card which covers public transport within the Stockholm area, including trains to Nynäshamn and the ferry between Gamla Stan and Vasa Museum. For one day this card costs SEK 95.

The other Stockholm Card covers the same public transport as the one above. But it also includes the entrance fees to many Stockholm museums and some limited sightseeing. The cost for this card for one day is SEK 270.

It depends on how many museums you intend to visit if this card is worth the cost. The entrance to for instance the Vasa Musum is SEK 80.

Hi North-Bound!

I haven't seen you around for quite a while and don't know if I ever thanked you or not.

You information for our visit to Stockholm/Nynasham last year was just wonderful! Thank you so much for all the great information you gave me before our cruise. Everything you told us was perfect and helped make our visit to the fabulous city of Stockholm just fantastic!

Thanks again,

Jane

rkdahl, the Stockholm transport card will cover the train to and from Nynäshamn.

However, there may no longer be any reason to buy these cards. It has been annonced that starting in May we will have a new pay system on Stockholm public transport. Each journey will cost SEK 20, regardless of how far you travel. So one ride from Nynäshamn to Stockholm (takes 1 hour) will be SEK 20, one ride within Stockholm (maybe 10 minutes) will be the same SEK 20. Going from Nynäshamn to Stockholm and back again on the train will be only SEK 40, and that means the card will not very likely be worth buying.

Now this is only early information about a coming change, the new prices are not published yet. So to know for sure we will have to wait till later.

Is there a website where we can keep updated about the possible changes on the transport system?

Thanks

Julia

Hi Jane, how nice to see you here again. I am so happy that you had a good time in Stockholm.

I haven't had much time on the CC boards this year, but I still try to come here now and then and try to help with questions regarding Sweden. And as you may see from my signature, there are only a few days left now untill I leave for FL and Century.

Hope you are well, and to see you around here now and then.

Archived