Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Norwegian Cruise Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Norwegian Cruise Line
- Read thousands of Norwegian Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Norwegian Cruise Deals
- Write a Norwegian Cruise Review
- Find Your Norwegian Roll Call
See posts about:
Norwegian Bliss
Norwegian Escape
Norwegian Jewel
Norwegian Spirit

Norwegian Breakaway
Norwegian Gem
Norwegian Pearl
Norwegian Star

Norwegian Dawn
Norwegian Getaway
Pride of America
Norwegian Sun

Norwegian Epic
Norwegian Jade
Norwegian Sky

Old April 5th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default What type of food is there for kids on the Jewel and how is the food?

I've read so many postings on this site about the food, more good than bad, but quite a number of bad reviews on the food.
In the postings that I have read no one really discussed the quality of the food on the kid's menu.

My nephew is really picky. He mostly eats chicken cutlets and roast pork. He loves his salads as long as it is only lettuce, tomato and cucumbers and he must have Italian dressing. He will eat spaghetti or macaroni with meatballs, but not too often. He likes pizza and chicken nuggets, but he is very picky about them.

How would you rate the kid's food on the Jewel?

Does NCL allow you to bring your own food onboard such as chips, peanuts, etc?

Old April 5th, 2010, 03:10 PM
5,000+ Club

You can bring snack chips and such.
There is plenty for the kid to eat. It would be a good opportunity to introduce him to some new foods as well.
If he is a fan of Italian sald dressing such as from the grocery, he will not like the Italian onbaord NCL. It is red and very weird. I'm not a fan of it.

Old April 5th, 2010, 04:24 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananasforcruises View Post
I've read so many postings on this site about the food, more good than bad, but quite a number of bad reviews on the food.
In the postings that I have read no one really discussed the quality of the food on the kid's menu.

My nephew is really picky. He mostly eats chicken cutlets and roast pork. He loves his salads as long as it is only lettuce, tomato and cucumbers and he must have Italian dressing. He will eat spaghetti or macaroni with meatballs, but not too often. He likes pizza and chicken nuggets, but he is very picky about them.

How would you rate the kid's food on the Jewel?

Does NCL allow you to bring your own food onboard such as chips, peanuts, etc?
You can bring chips, etc on board, but with all the food available I can't imagine anyone bothering. As for the kids menu, they have things like chicken nuggets, grilled cheese, mac and cheese, you know kid type of things or he can just order what looks good on the adult menu. He can order salad with just lettuce and tomato. I am not sure anyone can rate the kids food anyplace. Kids food is not like adult food.

I can tell you what I would say if my kid was that picky, but you didn't ask me about that and it really isn't my business. Let's just put it this way, he won't starve.

Nita
Commodore 1984, Costa 1985, RCL 1987, Chandris 1989, NCL 1989, Commodore, 1991, NCL 1997, Carnival 1997, Carnival 1998,NCL 1998, NCL 1999, RCL 2000, RCL 2000,HAL 2001, NCL 2002,NCL 2003, Celebrity 2003, NCL 2004, NCL 2005, Celebrity 2005.NCL 2006, Celebrity 2006, HAL 2006, NCL 2007.Princess, 2008. NCL 2008, RCI 2008,Princess 2009, NCL 2009. NCL 2010, NCL 2011, Princess 2011, NCL 2012, NCL 2013, NCL again 2013

Old April 5th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

We had no problem with the food on the Jewel. Having a 12 year old who is very picky in fact more of a food snob with us was interesting and he found the Pizza in Mama's good and found lots of chicken strips etc in the Blue Lagoon which is open 24 hours and a sit down restaurant in fact blue lagoon is pure comfort food

If he liked it, we knew it was good
Royal Caribbean x 5
Celebrity x 10
NCL x 11

Booked cruises

Celebrity x 3
NCL x 1

Old April 5th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

DS thinks the chicken nuggets are great! (OK, he's 27 and eats grown-up food but has been known to beg a couple of nuggets from the staff!)
DS has worked on all of the NCL ships now!

* My Cruises: Norway 2001 x 2, Sky 2002, Sun 2003, Star 2007*Pearl 2013

http://community.webshots.com/user/maddogmary
techcrewmom@gmail.com
Not my primary e-mail. Please be patient if I don't answer for a few days!

Old April 5th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

You are on a cruise ship! There is more food and selections than you can possibly imagine! My kids have NEVER had a problem finding something to eat and usually are so excited to try everything...they have to choose carefully, cause their plates are overflowing... No worries! The "food" issue is so ridiculous...just ck out the other threads on the issue, they are on-going and I have NEVER had bad food on any ship!! Cruise lines don't stay in business with horrible food! If you are in the MDR and you don't care for what they have, ask for something, they will do whatever it takes to please you...That has been my experience.

Golden Princess
NCL Pearl
Celebrity Infinity
Celebrity Mercury
Celebrity Mercury
Dawn Princess

Old April 5th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmagic View Post
You are on a cruise ship! There is more food and selections than you can possibly imagine! My kids have NEVER had a problem finding something to eat and usually are so excited to try everything...they have to choose carefully, cause their plates are overflowing... No worries! The "food" issue is so ridiculous...just ck out the other threads on the issue, they are on-going and I have NEVER had bad food on any ship!! Cruise lines don't stay in business with horrible food! If you are in the MDR and you don't care for what they have, ask for something, they will do whatever it takes to please you...That has been my experience.

To add on to this persons comment that you can order something even if it is not on the menu... I am the pickiest eater alive! .. seriously i am! If there is something your kid likes on one of the nights of the cruise, don't hesitate to ask for it again the next night even if it is not on the menu.. More times than not they will be happy to prepare it for you. I remember when I was 12 and on my first cruise there was veal parm one night and I asked for a plain veal cutlet. It was so good I asked if they could make it for me the second night. After that our wonderful waiter always had one in the kitchen waiting for me for the remainding nights of the cruise. It was the only thing i ate for a week! As people have said earlier, the staff will usually go out of their way to make you happy.

My Cruises:
1. Grand Princess-2001
2. Carnival Triumph-2002
3. Celebrity Galaxy-2003
4. Carnival Victory-2004
5. Norweigian Dawn-2005
6. Crown Princess-2006
7. Caribbean Princess- 2008
8. NCL Jewel -2010
9. Carnival Miracle -2012

Old April 5th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

If he's eating in the MDR there is always a chicken breast and mashed potatoes available. It's actually very tasty. I'm sure he could substitute another type of potato.

Carnivale 3/82
Starward 3/84
Norwegian Sun, 4/02
Norwegian Jewel, 3/06
Norwegian Sun, 3/08
Norwegian Jewel, 3/09
Norwegian Jewel, 3/10
Norwegian Pearl, 5/11
Norwegian Pearl, 3/12
Norwegian Sun 3/13

Old April 5th, 2010, 06:52 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by crew mom View Post
DS thinks the chicken nuggets are great! (OK, he's 27 and eats grown-up food but has been known to beg a couple of nuggets from the staff!)
too funny!!!
Commodore 1984, Costa 1985, RCL 1987, Chandris 1989, NCL 1989, Commodore, 1991, NCL 1997, Carnival 1997, Carnival 1998,NCL 1998, NCL 1999, RCL 2000, RCL 2000,HAL 2001, NCL 2002,NCL 2003, Celebrity 2003, NCL 2004, NCL 2005, Celebrity 2005.NCL 2006, Celebrity 2006, HAL 2006, NCL 2007.Princess, 2008. NCL 2008, RCI 2008,Princess 2009, NCL 2009. NCL 2010, NCL 2011, Princess 2011, NCL 2012, NCL 2013, NCL again 2013