Alexandria/Luxor - one day ship tour anyone done it?

MSPCUBS

I would like to take RCCL's one day tour to Luxor from Alexandria. Has anyone done this type of one day tour? What was your experience? Worth the money? (I know it is expensive.)

I haven't done it on a ship's tour. We did it as part of a cruise on the Nile, and did spend 1 day in the Luxor area - Valley of the Kings (where we saw the beautifully-decorated tombs of several pharaohs, including that of King Tut), the Valley of the Queens, the Temple of Hateshepsut , and a quick stop at the Colossi of Memnon (you won't miss anything if your tour skips that). After lunch, it was on to the Temples of Karnak and Luxor. The Temple of Karnak is absolutely not to be missed. Along with Abu Simbel, it was the highlight of our trip to Egypt.

So, yes, it is possible to do it on a ship's tour in one (LONG) day. The travel would probably be *easier* on you than a 3-hour one-way drive to Cairo to see the pyramids (nice, but I'd take the Luxor area over them if it's an either/or) because you'd be flying out of Alexandria.

While you certainly could linger several days in the Luxor area, if that's all you've got, I would say it's worth it. Alternatively, you could at some point in the future take more time to visit Egypt on a land tour. Send me an email at azevedan(at)yahoo(dot)com, and I'd be glad to send you a link to our pictures.

Beware....it will be much hotter down there than it will be up in Cairo or Alexandria. We went in March, and actually had very nice weather - in the upper 80's. It had been in the low 100's the week before (yes, in March).

I wanted to do this, but not on a ships tour. There are private guides who can arrange this. It seemed better than 3 hours each way to see the pyramids. It neve happened as we have booked 4 cruises where Egypt has been canceled (all cancelations happened pre-cruise).

So, we are flying to Egypt next year and taking a Nile cruise to Luxor instead.

I haven't done it on a ship's tour. We did it as part of a cruise on the Nile, and did spend 1 day in the Luxor area - Valley of the Kings (where we saw the beautifully-decorated tombs of several pharaohs, including that of King Tut), the Valley of the Queens, the Temple of Hateshepsut , and a quick stop at the Colossi of Memnon (you won't miss anything if your tour skips that). After lunch, it was on to the Temples of Karnak and Luxor. The Temple of Karnak is absolutely not to be missed. Along with Abu Simbel, it was the highlight of our trip to Egypt.

So, yes, it is possible to do it on a ship's tour in one (LONG) day. The travel would probably be *easier* on you than a 3-hour one-way drive to Cairo to see the pyramids (nice, but I'd take the Luxor area over them if it's an either/or) because you'd be flying out of Alexandria.

While you certainly could linger several days in the Luxor area, if that's all you've got, I would say it's worth it. Alternatively, you could at some point in the future take more time to visit Egypt on a land tour. Send me an email at azevedan(at)yahoo(dot)com, and I'd be glad to send you a link to our pictures.

Beware....it will be much hotter down there than it will be up in Cairo or Alexandria. We went in March, and actually had very nice weather - in the upper 80's. It had been in the low 100's the week before (yes, in March).

We are going! Finally. Aswan to Luxor Nile cruise with Abu Simbel. I am in the process of working out the details.

Just was in Egypt in June (yes, was there during the election process). Agree with previous poster - Luxor is wonderful, if you have to skip anything...i would pick the pyramids - think "gaudy tourist attraction"...not saying the pyramids or sphynx are gaudy, area around it is interesting to say the least. Answa was also a marvelous area. Enjoy! Found the people interesting and welcoming. Definitely you will need some kind of guide - not a DIY kind of country. Happy planning

We are going! Finally. Aswan to Luxor Nile cruise with Abu Simbel. I am in the process of working out the details.

We did this on the Oberoi Philae and it was an amazing trip. Oberoi is a high quality company and their boat was really nice.

Hank

I would like to take RCCL's one day tour to Luxor from Alexandria. Has anyone done this type of one day tour? What was your experience? Worth the money? (I know it is expensive.)

The ships tours to Luxor are pretty much the same regardless of the ship. Often, they primarily use the same companies. While I sail on a different line it's going to be a very similar tour outside of where you stop for meals.

Yes, it is well worth it. The drive is long each way and that is just the reality. I would recommend it.

Keith

Thanks, Keith. RCCL will be chartering a plane from Alexandria to Luxor, so we don't have to worry about a long drive. Still a long day as it is listed as a 14 hour tour. But, I think I'll be doing it as it seems to be a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Ann, your pictures were AWESOME! Thanks for sharing.

• 2 weeks later...
I would only consider this if I'd already been to Cairo. It will be a long journey for a short visit. Much better as part of an Egypt tour package.

But to visit Cairo from the port at Alexandria, you'll spend 6 hours on a bus getting there and back. To visit Luxor, you'll spend 3 hours roundtrip on a plane (granted, plus the bus ride to/from the airport). That's why I think the travel to Luxor is actually *easier*.

I *do* agree that a land tour is the better way to see Egypt. But a long day's cruise excursion is still an opportunity to see some amazing sites.

I would only consider this if I'd already been to Cairo. It will be a long journey for a short visit. Much better as part of an Egypt tour package.

I have been to Cairo, which is why I asked about Luxor. A land trip would be ideal, but I probably won't be coming back to this area again. Too much of the rest of the world to see. :-)

As you have already been to Cairo, absolutely pay the price and do the trip to Luxor. The temples are fantastic. I was not prepared for how amazing the graphics and carvings are still visible on the stone. I mean, some of them looked like they were just recently carved! The size of some of those statues and detail of the craftmanship just blew me away.

We are on the Crown Princess in Oct. We dock in Alexandria from 7:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. the next evening. Princess does not have a ship's tour to Luxor it just has an overnight tour to Cairo.

I have found a private tour that will take us to Luxor and then Fly us back to Cairo for a few hours then drive back to Alexandria to meet the ship.

Has anyone done this while not being on a ship's tour? I am afraid that if Egypt Air cancels or delays their flight from Luxor to Cairo we will never make it back to the ship for departure time in Alexandria for 8:00 p.m.

Any thoughts....welcomed!

I am afraid that if Egypt Air cancels or delays their flight from Luxor to Cairo we will never make it back to the ship for departure time in Alexandria for 8:00 p.m. Any thoughts....welcomed!

There are multiple flights a day, and weather is usually not an issue. Obviously, one cannot assure there would never be a problem. However, even if there was a flight delay or cancellation, and you couldn't get on another flight in time, and you couldn't fly instead directly to Alexandria, you still presumably would be able to get to the ship's next port (at your own expense).

We are on the Crown Princess in Oct. We dock in Alexandria from 7:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. the next evening. Princess does not have a ship's tour to Luxor it just has an overnight tour to Cairo.

I have found a private tour that will take us to Luxor and then Fly us back to Cairo for a few hours then drive back to Alexandria to meet the ship.

Has anyone done this while not being on a ship's tour? I am afraid that if Egypt Air cancels or delays their flight from Luxor to Cairo we will never make it back to the ship for departure time in Alexandria for 8:00 p.m.

Any thoughts....welcomed!

What tour company is this? I tried to find a private tour, but I was told by one company that you needed to have a minimum of 40 people since they have to charter a plane from Alexandria to Luxor. My ship's tour also has a minimum requirement, but I am hoping that it will be met.

Hi MSPCUBS,

I am in touch with Egypt Quality Tours. Her name is Eileen. She is really nice and help ful. I am emailiing her tonight to ask her some questions about taking this tour.

Flights in Egypt don't alway run on scheduled times. I have been before but my husband has not. It would be awesome to see both Cairo, Alexandria and Luxor. However, as I mentioned before if we miss the flight from Luxor to Cairo we would never make the 3 hour drive to Alex from Cairo in time for the ship's sailing at 8:00 p.m. There is NO easy way to the next port of Mykonos. Unless she can give me a back up plan or something it is too risky in my opinion to do that tour and we would do the Cairo / Alexandria tour instead with them.

I will let you know what she says and you feel free to contact her too.

Karen

It can be done. Cairo, Luxor in the 2 days. The only caveat is that the plane lands in Cairo at 3:00 p.m. and "all aboard is at 7:15 p.m" and it is a 3:00 drive from Cairo to Alexandria. That leaves 1 hour 15 minutes for delay in plane or traffic.

L

That is too close. However, we are scheduled on a flight next year from Luxor to Cairo and I believe that the plane is scheduled to land at 2:10PM. This is with Egypt Air.

Note there are also earlier flights back to Cairo. Why don't you fly back the next morning on the earlier flight?. Go to the Egypt Air website as there are more options.

I also thought they had or were planning flights directly from Alexandria.

Archived