Azamara Inaugural Departure Delayed

MaryJean56

We just got back from Bayonne and are very disappointed. For some reason, the Journey is not sailing today. They aren't giving much info at the pier, but they say that it is something "cosmetic". Since my mom lives about 2 hrs from the pier, we were asked to return home and come back tomorrow morning. They are checking everyone in today so we can just board tomorrow with our boarding passes. Most people are leaving their luggage checked as well. Some people who travelled far from the pier are being kept up at a local motel. It is pretty crazy at the pier right now. They are trying to feed people and that is not working very well. We were told around 12 that food would be served, but it didn't arrive until around 1 and then not enough to feed everyone. More food arrived around 2. I will say that when I told one of the Celebrity reps that my mom was diabetic, she did make sure we got a sandwich for her. The reps were as accommodating as they could be under the circumstances, but it was not a nice place to be today.

They did indicate that we will all be reimbursed the price we paid for the cruise. Now you would think, if you weren't there, that that would have made everyone happy, but I can assure that we weren't. We just wanted to board the ship. The ship is supposed to sail tomorrow around 11 am which means we will miss one day in Bermuda.

What is really a shame is the day could have been perfectly wonderful. They had long stem roses for all the ladies today and they were serving chocolate covered strawberries while we were waiting to check in. Too bad things went down hill so fast. Supposedly the president of Celebrity was waiting to greet us as we boarded and they said he will be there tomorrow. I hope I am happier tomorrow.

Sorry for your troubles but are they refunding your entire cruise costs?

If you should get the chance to shake Hanrahans hand, please remember that he is the one who has eroded most of our benefits and give that hand a real 'special' shake. They give us nothing else since he came on board so I'll settle for a little 'skin'.:D

Hope things go better tomorrow!

Jesus, Gail.....:rolleyes:

Mary Jean, I can't imagine the kind of disappointment you experinced, must have been like a head on hit into a brick wall...but Thank You for relaying this to us with clarity and perspective. I sincerely hope tomorrow goes altoghetger better and Celebrity gets past their "issue". Let us know when you get back home how it all went and if you care to share what they did to accomodate this very unexpected event.

Bon Voyage....

just informed by celebtity/azamara agent that todays scheduled sailing is now resched for tomorrow.

Explaination "intensive remodeling delay"

don't ask me what exactly that means:confused:

oh wow... not good... alot of people are going to be upset.. :eek:

It sounds really weird to me! What were they thinking booking cruises with so much work remaining.

Anyway, I do think it is great they have refunded the cruise and are putting people up for the night!

I kind of wish that had happened to me!:)

If I was to speculate or a hazard a guess I might suggest that they did not pass Coast Guard Inspection and have some corrections to be made before passengers are allowed to board.

Being that this ship was never previously governed by the US Coast Guard rules and regulations it might not have all of the proper equipment that is required. Just a guess as it appears they were ready in every other manner to greet guests right down to the choclate covered strawberries - nice touch by the way.

I also arrived at the pier to find that our cruise was delayed. No one is really giving any information. As MaryJean said, they said it was "cosmetic". Personally I think the ship did not pass inspection this morning. Everyone seemed to be herded like cows to sit, wait and eat. They made you check in so they could give you a boarding pass for tomorrow. They made sure to swipe my husband's credit card. We were told that in compensation for not departing today, they are refunding everyone's money. That means we all go on a cruise for free. OK, I can deal with losing a day to get all my money back. But they question is are we sure they will give us our money back? I didn't get anything in writing. Did anyone else? Husband is getting a little leery. He thinks tomorrow they will cancel the cruise completely. We hope not as we were booked for this cruise about 8 months ago. Also they are giving $100 shipboard credit to each passenger. I just hope tomorrow is a better day. Never sailed celebrity before, was looking very foward to this cruise,and my experience so far has not been good. Hope it gets better

I really am incredulous. A division of a publicly traded company issues a written document to each passenger signed by the president of said division stating that the cruise will be complimentary and her husband is getting leery?

Now it is possible that they will cancel the cruise...but I don't think it is even remotely possible that they'll keep anyone's money!

Sorry to hear that but I'm not too surprised after seeing the pictures that Carolyn Brown recently posted

Let's hope they can keep it to one day

I wonder what's happening to the passengers. Are they aboard?

If I was to speculate or a hazard a guess I might suggest that they did not pass Coast Guard Inspection and have some corrections to be made before passengers are allowed to board.

Being that this ship was never previously governed by the US Coast Guard rules and regulations it might not have all of the proper equipment that is required. Just a guess as it appears they were ready in every other manner to greet guests right down to the choclate covered strawberries - nice touch by the way.

This was actually our guess too, but we were originally told something about a logistics problem, so it could also involve furniture or supplies not being delivered. I imagine, we will eventually hear the real deal.

Let me get this straight. They are going to refund your money and give you an OBC so that essentially THEY are paying YOU to cruise??? Wow. I only WISH I was having the same "troubles" that you are! :p

Celeste

Am I understanding correctly? You will all cruise this week for free? If you only miss one day, that is an extremely generous remedy!

I'm glad to hear they took good care of your mom - but if I was sailing for free, I'd be a very happy camper today!

Oh My Gosh!!! I can't believe it! I know Mary Jean and she is one of the most calm, cool people on this Earth and it takes a WHOLE lot to make her unhappy. Therefore, this must be a seriously upsetting situation.

It IS cool that the cost of the cruise will be refunded. That's not as bad (for Celebrity) as it sounds since a lot of these passengers booked at the Zenith rate and not the new elevated Journey rates. In any case, after the initial "hitting a brick wall" passes, the reality of a free cruise will probably help soothe the passengers.

I hope they give free internet minutes too so we can hear the latest on this.

How embarassing for Celebrity.

And Mary Jean....we're still kicking ourselves for not booking this cruise! We would love to be having dinner with you now and talking about the cruise that didn't sail. We could be having a great time anyhow! Tomorrow will be a better day.:)

I also arrived at the pier to find that our cruise was delayed. No one is really giving any information. As MaryJean said, they said it was "cosmetic". Personally I think the ship did not pass inspection this morning. Everyone seemed to be herded like cows to sit, wait and eat. They made you check in so they could give you a boarding pass for tomorrow. They made sure to swipe my husband's credit card. We were told that in compensation for not departing today, they are refunding everyone's money. That means we all go on a cruise for free. OK, I can deal with losing a day to get all my money back. But they question is are we sure they will give us our money back? I didn't get anything in writing. Did anyone else? Husband is getting a little leery. He thinks tomorrow they will cancel the cruise completely. We hope not as we were booked for this cruise about 8 months ago. Also they are giving $100 shipboard credit to each passenger. I just hope tomorrow is a better day. Never sailed celebrity before, was looking very foward to this cruise,and my experience so far has not been good. Hope it gets better

We actually did receive a letter signed by Dan Hanrahan that said in part "To ensure your cruise is a great experience and to apologize for the inconvenience we have caused, your cruise on Azamar Journey will be COMPLIMENTARY. Additionally, we are giving each guest a $100 Onboard credit to cover any expenses you incur tonight."

They were handing this letter to everyone at the port. I'm not sure how you missed receiving it because we had it offered to us several times.

I imagine it was something very much unforeseen or they would have notifed the passengers before at boarding time there was a problem.

Hardly a smooth debut.

Maybe the PFD's have not been updated with the current name of the actual ship.

have a wonderful time on your cruise. Sorry for the glitch in you cruise but once you getting rolling- I am sure it will be a lovely cruise.

It is a shame to get started on the wrong foot.

Inaugural cruises tend to be iffy. I was scheduled on one of the first cruises on the Crown Princes last summer and I cancelled due to less than stellar reviews and then the ship listed. That was the last straw.

I am told that many ships have to get their sea legs and that inaugural cruises tend to be the ones where they get rid of the glitches.

So be aware of this in the future.

To those sailing, I think Celebrity is a classy company and I think that they hope for repeat business and have put their best foot forward in light of the trying circumstances.

Celebrity got off to a later start than expected and this isn't a shocker that they weren't up and running on schedule.

Oh My Gosh!!! I can't believe it! I know Mary Jean and she is one of the most calm, cool people on this Earth and it takes a WHOLE lot to make her unhappy. Therefore, this must be a seriously upsetting situation.

It IS cool that the cost of the cruise will be refunded. That's not at bad (for Celebrity) as it sounds since a lot of these passengers booked at the Zenith rate and not the new elevated Journey rates. In any case, after the initial "hitting a brick wall" passes, the reality of a free cruise will probably help soothe the passengers.

I hope they give free internet minutes too so we can hear the latest on this.

How embarassing for Celebrity.

And Mary Jean....we're still kicking ourselves for not booking this cruise! We would love to be having dinner with you now and talking about the cruise that didn't sail. We could be having a great time anyhow! Tomorrow will be a better day.:)

Liz, thanks so much for chiming in. If you were here I'm sure we would be having a fun time anyway. We just finished washing our clothes so we have clean things to wear tomorrow. At least being at my Mom's house, we were able to do that. I think some of the people staying in hotels were actually getting their luggage back, but it was easier for us to just leave it there and come home. We ordered a pizza and Bill's comment was that Celebrity didn't make pizza that good anyway.:D

I know in the past when I have heard of people getting free cruises, I have always thought, too bad I didn't book that cruise, but believe me, it's not fun to be in this situation. It was a very stressful day. Hopefully the cruise will be fun once we get on it.

have a wonderful time on your cruise. Sorry for the glitch in you cruise but once you getting rolling- I am sure it will be a lovely cruise.

It is a shame to get started on the wrong foot.

Inaugural cruises tend to be iffy. I was scheduled on one of the first cruises on the Crown Princes last summer and I cancelled due to less than stellar reviews and then the ship listed. That was the last straw.

I am told that many ships have to get their sea legs and that inaugural cruises tend to be the ones where they get rid of the glitches.

So be aware of this in the future.

To those sailing, I think Celebrity is a classy company and I think that they hope for repeat business and have put their best foot forward in light of the trying circumstances.

Celebrity got off to a later start than expected and this isn't a shocker that they weren't up and running on schedule.

I am all too aware that inaugural cruises are ify and believe me I would never book one. We were booked on the Zenith that had done this run for years. It wasn't really by choice that we ended up on an inaugural cruise. Just lucky I guess.:D

Am I understanding correctly? You will all cruise this week for free? If you only miss one day, that is an extremely generous remedy!

I'm glad to hear they took good care of your mom - but if I was sailing for free, I'd be a very happy camper today!

My mom and I were also among those waiting to board the Journey today. I can understand how it was frustrating - I'm sure it was for Azamara too - but I have to say they handled it extremely well.

We got the word almost as soon as we waiting in the lounge to register. They handed out letters explaining the situation, and the letter indicated that we'd get $100 for our overnight expenses as well as the complimentary Journey cruise. I thought having it in writing to all passengers was an effective way to stem any rumors. I hear that we are still waiting on some furniture and equipment from Arkansas.

All the people were friendly, and that made the situation bearable. It is very frustrating about the hotel situation - we had to return back to my mom's place in Somerset; thank goodness my sister was tipped off and hung out at the port for 2 hours - but I can understand that there wasn't a block of 350 rooms just waiting around to be filled.

So, we spent a fun afternoon with perfect weather in Hoboken and are ready to try it all out again tomorrow. I think Azamara is going to work extra hard to make this a memorable cruise for everyone, and if that's the case I can hold out another day...happy camper indeed!

if this were a delayed flight rather than a delayed cruise you would be lucky to get the free hotel voucher, much less a free flight. This is very generous compensation although RCL shareholders might become concerned that Celebrity is one of the few cruiselines (if not the only one) that "comps" a cruise because of a one day delay.

Archived