First Time Scooter Purchase

sabookkeeper

The price depends on the alternatives you select, especially the batteries, if you mean for the whole scooter. The foot pedals were $35.00 for a pair. If you are buying the whole scooter the prices it are listed on the website.

Thanks Katisdale,

I ordered my first travelscoot last Thursday and it will be here on Tuesday, I am so excited.

The foot rests were not listed on the site when I ordered. Checked this morning and also saw an auxiliary battery holder. If you can not bend over to attach the battery. The holder can be mounted in front or behind the pole that the seat attaches to. The holder can also be used for transporting your portable oxygen machine. These are good options. I tried to order the larger seat but the lady said it had not been available for 6 months and she did not know when or if it would be available.

Now just hope I can learn to ride and drive my new scooter!

Sue

Congratulations Sue on your new purchase. Many of us have taken the seat to auto upholstery shops and had the seat done with extra padding for more comfort. Can't wait to hear on how you like it. I am thinking about ordering the foot pedals and I like the new padded control protector. I need to call and see if I can buy just it and not have to buy the bag too as I already have that.

The price depends on the alternatives you select, especially the batteries, if you mean for the whole scooter. The foot pedals were $35.00 for a pair. If you are buying the whole scooter the prices it are listed on the website.

Congratulations Sue on your new purchase. Many of us have taken the seat to auto upholstery shops and had the seat done with extra padding for more comfort. Can't wait to hear on how you like it. I am thinking about ordering the foot pedals and I like the new padded control protector. I need to call and see if I can buy just it and not have to buy the bag too as I already have that.

Thanks nieciez,

I am not sure if I will have time to have the seat redone as we leave for Rome on Oct. 29 to sail on the Reflection . That was one reason I decided to get the travel scoot as my other scooter would not fit into the elevator at the Vatican.

I have read both positive and negative on how the travel scoot did on the cobble stones, but this way it should make it much easier the take a cab to the sites we want to see if the cobble stones are too rough.

Looking forward to my new ride!

Sue

Sue, the first trip I took my Travelscoot on was to Rome. We did 3 days then did a transatlantic cruise back to NYC and I had no issues with the cobblestones at all. When crossing the streets I did have to get off where there weren't cut outs in the curbs. We also booked an all day tour with RomeCabs.com (Stephano Costantini) and the minivan had enough room in the back where they could lift my TS in and out without folding down....it was a GREAT day. Here is a picture of me on the cobblestones in front of the Colosseum.

DSC00042.JPG

And at the Trevi Fountains

Transatlantic+Dream+%252832%2529.JPG

Hi Everyone:

I went to Detroit to the dealer who handles Tzora and it was closed, so I took a chance and ordered it on line (received a bunch of free items with it as well). We picked it up on Saturday (had it sent to Detroit). We had some other shopping to do so we also stayed overnight. Charged the battery overnight and this morning before leaving we went to Meijer to get some groceries and for me to try it out. It was easy for DH to fold and unfold and did not take me long to get use to the controls. For the first time in many years, I did not end a shopping trip with severe pain in my back. I am pleased with my purchase and definitely looking forward to using it on our upcoming cruise.

Thanks everyone for your advice - it was all appreciated!

Sue, the first trip I took my Travelscoot on was to Rome. We did 3 days then did a transatlantic cruise back to NYC and I had no issues with the cobblestones at all. When crossing the streets I did have to get off where there weren't cut outs in the curbs. We also booked an all day tour with RomeCabs.com (Stephano Costantini) and the minivan had enough room in the back where they could lift my TS in and out without folding down....it was a GREAT day. Here is a picture of me on the cobblestones in front of the Colosseum.

DSC00042.JPG

And at the Trevi Fountains

Transatlantic+Dream+%252832%2529.JPG

Thanks Niece for the Rome feedback, glad to hear you managed well. We are spending 2 days in Rome then the TA back to Miami. Using Romecabs for transportation from the airport and to the port, just booked a guide for the Vatican and the Colossuem.

I can not bend down to attach the battery so I'm really interested in the one that mounts higher. Anyone have a picture?

I'm also going to order a basket for the front. I usually ride without the back rest. Even though I had it padded, I find the steel rod to be uncomfortable.

Hi Everyone:

I went to Detroit to the dealer who handles Tzora and it was closed, so I took a chance and ordered it on line (received a bunch of free items with it as well). We picked it up on Saturday (had it sent to Detroit). We had some other shopping to do so we also stayed overnight. Charged the battery overnight and this morning before leaving we went to Meijer to get some groceries and for me to try it out. It was easy for DH to fold and unfold and did not take me long to get use to the controls. For the first time in many years, I did not end a shopping trip with severe pain in my back. I am pleased with my purchase and definitely looking forward to using it on our upcoming cruise.

Thanks everyone for your advice - it was all appreciated!

Congratulations on your purchase! Dennis has been very happy with his and we have had many people try it out on cruises. It certainly has made life easier and it has been easy to travel with.

Kate

Congratulations sabookkeeper on joining the Travelscoot Club! Wishing you many happy miles of scooting!

mamaofami, since this new battery rack attaches to the seat frame I imagine it will come off with the seat unit when you fold it up....will be interested to hear about that too to know for sure.

I called Tony this weekend and ordered a new Li-ion battery. Not having any problems with the one I have but I've been using it 4 years. Have a SLA as a back up and I decided it was time to have a new Li-ion as a back up as I know those SLAs don't have a long life. When on a cruise I like to have 2 batteries so I don't come up short! I don't want to be stuck in the middle of a vacation and have something go wrong....even though nothing has in 4 years but better safe than sorry!

Edited by nieciez

For those who cannot afford these expensive models, there is the Shoprider Echo 3. It costs around $600.00. It can be purchased in US from Walgreens Drug store. Buy online and have it delivered to the store ( no shipping charge) It weighs 70 lbs but breaks down to 4 parts and I can lift it alone that way. It fits in even a small car hatchback and some trunks. It is narrow so fits through the regular stateroom doors. As we all know the cruise lines do not have anywhere near enough accessible rooms so we have had to use reg many times. Tip: Check with the cruiseline for a stateroom with the bed next to the window, it gives much more room for the scooter in a reg stateroom!!!

One thing to check in these expensive fold up models is the type of battery. The cruiselines and airlines want gel batteries. The shoprider does not have this, but we have only had one airline check it and no cruiseline has even asked us when we get to the pier. It has a sealed non-spillable AGM type that the manufacturer will send a written letter with the approval certificate for sea and air travel from the Federal Transportation people.

Good luck.

The shoprider was one of the scooters we looked at, however, we really wanted the one that folds up. The batteries with the Tzora have been approved to take on the airplane, again, this was another item that I researched. It is good that there is a variety out there that meets each one's personal needs.

Darlene

The shoprider was one of the scooters we looked at, however, we really wanted the one that folds up. The batteries with the Tzora have been approved to take on the airplane, again, this was another item that I researched.

And like the Tzora, the batteries for the Travelscoot are approved for airline travel. I've flown with both the Tzora and Travelscoot with no issues. Here is the DOT regs on flying with the Lithium Ion Batteries and the Travelscoot batteries fall within these approval regulations. http://safetravel.dot.gov/larger_batt.html

Edited by nieciez

• 2 weeks later...
After much much research and trying' date=' and a good nights sleep, I was finally able to transfer the photos of the [i']"TravelScoot" [/i]9" foot rest

th_DSCF0614.jpgth_DSCF0608.jpg

By the way, they can be reversed.

Cato :)

At times during use, I found the foot rests slipping off over the end of the original rest post. I cured that by going to a auto parts store, and bought 2 rubber O-Rings, 15/16" inside diameter X 1-1/8" outside diazmeter, and slipped them on the outside of the foot rest extension. ;) :D

Cato :)

At times during use' date=' I found the foot rests slipping off over the end of the original rest post. I cured that by going to a auto parts store, and bought 2 rubber O-Rings, 15/16" inside diameter X 1-1/8" outside diazmeter, and slipped them on the outside of the foot rest extension. ;) :D

Cato :)[/quote']

We went to the store in Victoria this week to get extra belts for a cruise & we saw these larger foot rests. Hubby opted to stay with original ones but bought an awesome Healax massager! Just can't get out of that store without spending money on something! :)

• 2 weeks later...
[/color]

Apparently the reverse drive model does not go as fast' date=' possibly only half speed. :mad: :eek:

Cato :)[/quote']

Wow, that sounds interesting. We are just back from a cruise and my husband used his 'scoot everywhere...including Ephesus....challenging in parts! The Grand Bazaar was a breeze though! Reverse would be great at times and let me off the hook....especially for hauling him out of lifts! More importantly, the thing we are looking for is some sort of wheeled travel bag as the one that came with the Travelscoot is the standard one and jolly heavy if you have to lug the whole caboodle any distance....before you can find a trolley or such like. I remember someone mentioned some time ago about buying a large wheeled golf bag...but that was in the US somewhere at a Walmart and meanwhile downunder, here in Oz, has anyone found any equivalent?

I cannot rave too much about the huge difference the Travelscoot has made not only to our travels but at home in the shopping malls, parks, wineries etc...it is just brilliant.

Grateful for any suggestions...

Joan

More importantly, the thing we are looking for is some sort of wheeled travel bag as the one that came with the Travelscoot is the standard one and jolly heavy if you have to lug the whole caboodle any distance....before you can find a trolley or such like. I remember someone mentioned some time ago about buying a large wheeled golf bag...but that was in the US somewhere at a Walmart and meanwhile downunder, here in Oz, has anyone found any equivalent?

Grateful for any suggestions...

Joan

Hi Joan,

I too have a Travelscoot and love it. I did a search and came up with some specifics about the 'wheeled golf bag':

We purchased a hard sided*golf*bag with wheels. We took the scooter to the store to make sure it would fit. It is called*Golf*Guard and we got ours from Dick's Sporting Goods

*we bought a hard sided*golf*bag for the scooter. We took thetravelscoot*with us to the sports store where we got the bag for about 100 to 125 dollars. We took the scoot with us to make sure it would fit. If you choose to buy a hard sided bag I have found that you will be asked to open the bag so the check in agent can see it is really mobility equipment

I use a GolfGuard hard sided carrier to travel with my*travelscoot. When we went to purchase it from Dick's Sporting Goods I rode the scooter and my DH took the scooter apart and we tried it in two other bags until we found the one from GolfGuard. It did not fit in the other two carriers. I am very happy to have the hard sided carrier but also glad DH insisted on taking to scooter to the store. He has the ability to look at stuff and see how it would fit. I am useless in doing that

So we pack it in the hardsided*golf*case and check it. Pack only the medical eqpt. in there - nothing else. Tag it inside and out with your name and destination and a reach #.

We bought the one that it fit the best. For safety sake we put velcro strips around the carrier

My DH and I took my*travelscoot*to "Dick's Sporting Goods". I think but am not sure that is a nationwide store. Once there we went to the*golf*area and tried the scooter in three hard sided*golf*bags. We asked for assistance from a salesman. We bought the one that it fit the best. I cannot remember the name. I have added padding in the seat and it fits fine but I bought one I knew fit. I think it is safer in the hard sided carrier than in the canvas bag it came in. I have carried it in both and checked it through without damage to the scooter. The batteries (mine are lithium) go in the included battery bag and on to the cabin with me. I have found it easy to travel with the*travelscoot. One caution from our last plane trip, my husband put the tool kit (included with purchase) in the battery bag with the batteries and this caused a bit of concern to the TSA. In the future we will put the tools anywhere other than with the batteries.

The list above is from many different posters and although I did not discover anything more specific than "Golf Guard", a search on Amazon had many options which may indeed be delivered to Oz?!

Best of luck...

Marlee

Marlee,

Thank you so much for all the trouble you went to so I shall check up on Amazon.....in fact we have just today ordered a new Travelscoot for my husband - with reverse...yipee...but it won't be here for 4 to 6 weeks.

I really appreciate all the trouble you went to.

Best wishes

Joan

Due to back problems, I am unable to stand for any length of time or walk long distances (walking the length of some of the piers is difficult for me). I do not need anything around the house or to work, however, I need one for when we cruise and travel.

We have been looking at the foldable scooters by Tzora and Rascal as options for purchase. Has anyone used either of these brands? What are the pros and cons for each?

We are finding it difficult to find a distributor for the Rascal scooter. We live in Canada, however, since we are bordering Detroit we will probably purchase it in the US.

Any information you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Darlene

Hi Darlene,

I have the same issues. Back problems and long range walking only requiring a scooter when we travel.

Check out the Travel Scoot (www.travelscoot.com). I love mine!

Hi Darlene,

I have the same issues. Back problems and long range walking only requiring a scooter when we travel.

Check out the Travel Scoot (http://www.travelscoot.com). I love mine!

Congratulations sabookkeeper on joining the Travelscoot Club! Wishing you many happy miles of scooting!

According to Post #31 sabookeeper recently purchased a Tzora not a Travelscoot.

Edited by xxoocruiser