Stowaway on the ms Ryndam!

Cruzer Two

Stowaway on the ms Ryndam

As we rounded the southern tip of Florida on our Tampa to Barcelona cruise in March we picked up a hitchhiker. A carrier pigeon from Cuba decided that he would take up temporary residence on the Rydam, where passengers were eager to provide a free meal.

We know our friend was from Cuba because of a leg-band worn on the right leg. The captain did a little research and discovered that Carrier Pigeons are still used in Cuba to transmit election results from outlying areas. Election results - hmmmm! Our friend must have gotten tired of carrying the mail and decided to defect from his/her native land of Cuba.

The pigeon was so happy with the new accommodations he/she stayed on for the entire transatlantic crossing. During our port call in the Azores the pigeon went ashore for the entire day, so we thought we had seen the end of this bird. However, shortly before time to sail our friend came back on-board and continued the cruise with us to Spain. I guess he/she didn’t care too much for Ponta Delgada. We thought it was quite nice!

Our first port of call in Spain was Cadiz. Evidently, the pigeon liked this city as much as I did because he left the ship never to return. I suppose he/she has found a Spanish mate and is leading the good life.

When we return to Cadiz next March on the Noordam I expect to see lots of baby pigeons strutting around Plaza de San Juan de Dios smoking Cuban cigars.

pegeon_zpsf79b76bc.png

I will look for him next week. The cigar smell should make it easy. Maybe he will take the Prinsendam back!!:)

Carol,

After spending some time in Cadiz I doubt that our pigeon friend will be anxious to return to his/her native land. I'm sure he/she is quite happy being retired in Europe. The food is much better and he/she doesn't have to carry the mail anymore.

Have a great cruise on the Prinsendam.

Ron

What a couple of smart birds ;) Thanks for sharing the story and arewethereyet thanks for sharing your picture. I really love hearing these stories and I would guess there are quite a few :)

Several years ago we had done a repositioning on the Veendam from Vancouver to Los Angeles and our Port first port Stop was Seattle. But the day we embarked in Vancouver we had this Sea Gull hanging out on our balcony, we laughed because he just stayed right there with us and stayed really close. We were talking to him that whole after noon before we left Canada Place and he would just keep turning his head like he understood. We have large parrots at home so birds do not bother us. Well the next morning was our port stop and who do we see back on our railing but that same Sea Gull, now we were pretty sure it was the same one because he had some interesting marking on his face and on his beak. Then he was making noises at us. This cruise was long before pier 91 was built so we were down in the industrial area of Seattle.We just laughed that he was following us. Later that day we had a friend that had lived in the Seattle area pick us up to take us around town for the day and we ended up in a park out near the Magnolia area not too far from pier 91 and we stopped to have a treat and look across the bay and who do we see but this Sea Gull and he was walking on the ground making his squawking noises. We laughed not knowing for sure if it was the same sea gull but if it was it was kind of scary :D That was the last time we saw him when we returned tot he ship he was not on the balcony but we figured he heard that heading to LA was not going to be fun especially since we had fog the rest of the way. ;)

100_2472.jpg.92387579e3364b1fee3ea81119e3129f.jpg

100_2473.jpg.6602bf69029cafc0e7e05a96b8ce2747.jpg

Great story!

Can't think of a better way to escape to freedom then on a DAM cruise !! :D

We had an owl stow away on a cruise from Ft. Lauderdale. He stayed aboard for many days. I guess it happens more than we think. ;) :D

Cute story. Don't blame him for coming back to ship from Portugal - that language is too difficult to learn. He was smart to wait until Spain. Had one hang out on my balcony in Toronto for 3 days. Fed him budgie bird seed and water. He finally took off after pooping all over the place. I'd go out a couple of times a day & pick him up and toss him off but he came right back. Cleaning up after him was no picnic.

Also when I was eating breakfast in my cabin at Canada Place on April 18 a sea gull came for a visit and ate all I put out for him that I didn't want. They are great scavengers.:)

Stowaway on the ms Ryndam

As we rounded the southern tip of Florida on our Tampa to Barcelona cruise in March we picked up a hitchhiker. A carrier pigeon from Cuba decided that he would take up temporary residence on the Rydam, where passengers were eager to provide a free meal.

We know our friend was from Cuba because of a leg-band worn on the right leg. The captain did a little research and discovered that Carrier Pigeons are still used in Cuba to transmit election results from outlying areas. Election results - hmmmm! Our friend must have gotten tired of carrying the mail and decided to defect from his/her native land of Cuba.

The pigeon was so happy with the new accommodations he/she stayed on for the entire transatlantic crossing. During our port call in the Azores the pigeon went ashore for the entire day, so we thought we had seen the end of this bird. However, shortly before time to sail our friend came back on-board and continued the cruise with us to Spain. I guess he/she didn’t care too much for Ponta Delgada. We thought it was quite nice!

Our first port of call in Spain was Cadiz. Evidently, the pigeon liked this city as much as I did because he left the ship never to return. I suppose he/she has found a Spanish mate and is leading the good life.

When we return to Cadiz next March on the Noordam I expect to see lots of baby pigeons strutting around Plaza de San Juan de Dios smoking Cuban cigars.

pegeon_zpsf79b76bc.png

Wow completely fantastic.

Archived