Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > 55+ Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

55+ Cruisers Cruise Critic's Senior Cruising Resources

Old August 2nd, 2007, 04:48 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default What's the best cruise line?

We've been on HAL and found the passenger group to be really older. What's another good line?
HAL Volendam - March 13, 2007- P. Canal
RCCL Navigator - October 6, 2007- Canary Isl.
NCL Gem - February 6, 2008- S. Caribbean
NCL Jewel - July 28,2008- N. Europe/Baltics
Wind Star - February 14, 2009 - Costa Rica
Celebrity Summit - April 18, 2009 - Trans-Atl.
Celebrity Infinity - Jan. 17, 2010 - S. America
HAL Amsterdam - July 12, 2010 - Alaska
RCCL Brilliance - Jan.10, 2011, United Arab
HAL Ryndam - July 24, 2011, Norway
Princess - Oct.19.2011 - Med & Trans Atl
RCCL - Grandeur - Oct.17.2013-Canada&NE
Wind Surf- Feb.15,2014-BVI

Old August 2nd, 2007, 10:14 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len3 View Post
We've been on HAL and found the passenger group to be really older. What's another good line?
Len3, from your list of past cruises I don't see Celebrity. Normally considered to be a premium cruise line more or less equal to HAL but with possibly a bit younger clientele. Celebrity is owned by Royal Caribbean. Princess is another normally considered to be on a par with RCI maybe just a small notch below HAL and Celebrity. Princess is owned by Carnival which also owns HAL and others. Hard to go wrong with any of these main stream lines. Of course you could consider Crystal, Regent, etc if it fits your budget.
HAL(22) Rotterdam V - Caribbean, Rotterdam VI (3)- Panama, South America, Black Sea/Egypt, Noordam III(6) - Caribbean(4), Baltic, Mediterranean, Noordam IV-Caribbean, Statendam(3) - Alaska, NZ/Oz, Panama Canal Westerdam(3) - Caribbean, Zuiderdam(2)- Caribbean, Maasdam - North Atlantic (Voyage of the Vikings), Eurodam - Canada/NE, Prinsendam - British Isles
Celebrity(2) Constellation - Caribbean, Horizon - Bermuda
Sun Cruises(2) Carousel - Mediterranean, Sunbird - Caribbean
Windstar(1) Wind Surf - Mediterranean
Royal Caribbean(2) Splendour(2) Eastern Mediterranean
Disney(4) Magic(3) - Caribbean(2), Mediterranean
Wonder - Caribbean
Princess(1) Golden Princess - Caribbean
NCL(1) Norwegian Sun - Hawaii
Azamara (3) - Quest(3) - Caribbean(2), SE Asia
Orient Royal (1) - East King - Yangtze
CroisiEurope (1) MS Monet-Rhlne
AMA(2) AMADaggio-Rhone, AMASonata-Amsterdam-Budapest
G Adventures(1) Daphne - Galapagos

Next up Eurodam Dec. 28

"If a man is talking in the woods and no woman is around, is he still wrong?"

Old August 2nd, 2007, 10:32 AM
Cool Cruiser

have to agree, go with Celebrity.
Constellation (6 days)January 2005
Galaxy Holiday (11 days) 2006
Constellation 12/22/2008 (Back on the Connie)

Old August 8th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Best Cruise Line?

Quote:

Let me be quick to point out two things: (1) For the Price & Value (2) for the ship amenities (3) For an ADULT Cruise without kids...and I love 'em too...

OCEANIA GETS MY / OUR VOTE HANDSDOWN!!!

Old August 8th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

How old are you? I am 63 and DH is 66. We cruise Celebrity and Royal Carib.
There is a good mix of ages on both, although X may have a few more "older" pax. It all depends on what you mean by "older". When we were planning our first cruise, my TA steered us away from the Carnival "young and crazy" image and the HAL "old and stodgy" image. The two we have stuck to are somewhere in the middle.
In general X has fewer children, at least it seemed so on the longer cruises, which have hooked us even more. RCCL had an enormous # of kids on the 7-night Carib. winter cruises we've taken. They were not a problem, though.
We are extremely happy with both lines.

1/02 Explorer E. Carib.
1/03 Explorer W. Carib.
8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour
2/04 Adventure S. Carib.
2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal
6/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords + 3 nights in London
1/07 Mercury Mexican Riviera
1/08 Mercury Aust/NZ + extra days in Syd and Auk.

Ad Sponsored By
Old August 9th, 2007, 04:47 PM
50,000+ Club

There are a variety of cruise lines you could consider from Princess (Mass Market) to Celebrity and Oceania (Premium) to say Crystal or Regent (Luxury).

Keith

Old September 22nd, 2007, 08:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

We are in our sixties and always enjoy Regent. It is now all inclusive and is very upscale without being too stuffy.

Mostly a senior crowd ...

Old September 24th, 2007, 09:43 AM
5,000+ Club

Len,

How old are you, and how old do you estimate the passengers on HAL to be? The reason I'm asking is that HAL is my favorite line, and I've sailing them since I was 48. I found the clientele to vary according to destination, time of year, and length of cruise.

Roz

Old October 10th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Len, I'm 60 and I want to put in a plug for Royal Caribbean, my favorite. First, I love their ShipShape $ program, which always offers a very wide assortment of activity levels - walking the deck, aquatics, line dancing, stretching, beanbag tournaments, etc. etc. You get rewarded for participation with the ShipShape dollars, which you can use to "buy" from a nice selection of logo products at the end of the cruise.

Some other reasons: their live shows have terrific production values - they will really knock your socks off. The ships are SO beautiful, especially the Voyager Class, you will enjoy just wandering around and discovering the artwork, and then returning to your favorites. Finally, every Royal Caribbean ship I've been on has a distinctly superior library, well stocked, conveniently located, filled with comfy chairs and terrific views. The library usually winds up being one of my favorite hangouts on every cruise.

Old October 10th, 2007, 11:50 PM
20,000+ Club

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieT View Post
OCEANIA GETS MY / OUR VOTE HANDSDOWN!!!
Not so loud .....we will never get a cabin!!
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam- Eurodam, Royal Epirotiki-Olympic, Orient lines-Marco Polo, NCL-Dream, Princess - Dawn Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress, Scenic Tours -Scenic Sapphire, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina(1) Riveria (1) AQSC-American Queen

FUTURE CRUISE(S)

Email:LHT28 yahoo com
Put Cruise in subject line

PHOTOS:
http://lht28.smugmug.com/

Old October 11th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

Wink Agreed: Let's not mention Oceania!

Stick with any and every other cruise line out there, but please don't bother with Oceania!

Their prices have already risen significantly since I booked our first cruise with them a year and a half ago, and they are fast getting to the point where, if they rise any higher, they will be out of our price range.

People who must have their formal nights will absolutely despise the fact that you need only be clean and comfortably presentable, a la "country club casual", to partake of their delicious evening cuisine in the Grand Dining Room. (And don't tell my DH I said this, but I saw more foxy looking 55+ dudes in their polo shirts and chinos per capita on my O cruise than all the guys in tuxedos of any age on my other 6 cruises put together! Must be either that being comfortable makes a man look happier and therefore more attractive, and/or, the successful but not stuffy demographic that O pulls in?)

People who don't like books will absolutely hate the fact that so much space and elegant ambiance is dedicated to the lovely library on board.

People who need continual rock music fed into their ears will go through withdrawal.

People who love the smell of stale smoke from previous cabin occupants will find their olfactory sense wanting.

I could go on but, after all, I agreed not to mention Oceania.

Old October 11th, 2007, 04:03 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Nut View Post
Stick with any and every other cruise line out there, but please don't bother with Oceania!
I could go on but, after all, I agreed not to mention Oceania.
You forgot to mention the lack of lines to get on/off at the ports ..people will not be able practice the elbowing techniques
Those fattening desserts at tea time & lunch/dinner OMG I can hear the GYM calling my name...

Lyn

Old October 11th, 2007, 04:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Talking Lack of being elbowed/stampeded by fellow PX a real deficit on O

Hi Lyn

Regarding Oceania, I'm glad you mentioned the tendering experience. There is an absolute lack of that special sense of closeness that one experiences when being herded to the tenders on the mass market lines. This, IMHO, is a real deficit on O. After all, when oh when, will I get to interact with fellow passengers if not in the mad competition to get onto a tender?

Also, the horrible fact that one doesn't have to wait long at all for tenders. Because of this efficiency, I have less time for daydreaming while waiting, and also less time to practice that ultimate virtue, Patience!

Keep the humor coming!

Susan

Old October 11th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

I guess I'll be the only one to mention Carnival. We have sailed on serveral lines, both stateside and from European ports, and I have to say our Carnival cruises have always been great. I think one of the most important factors is that we can now cruise during "off" times, since our children are all out of college and either in graduate school, law school, married, working or parents themselves.

My husband is a retired colonel from the USAFR and Carnival offers the BEST military discounts, another reason. We generally stay in a Cat 11 or 12 suite and have found the service wonderful. Also, all of the suites have a jacuzzi (which is important to me as I have had major spinal surgery and refuse to use a public hot tub). If there's a downside it is that room service does not serve hot meals. I believe Porthole magazine did an article a few months ago basically stating this same opinion.

Our favorite ship is the Conquest, it is just great. The food, in the dining room, is generally very good (we always allow or head waiter to decide upon an entree as they seem to know what is best that day) and the supper club (an additional $30.00 pp charge) is to die for. Yes, they do play all of the silly games but if you don't want to be involved you can sit on your balcony with a book, some tea or wine and just laze the day away.

I think that only you can determine which line is "best", because it's best for you and the only way you can decide upon a favorite line is to try them all. *shaking my head* It's a hard job but someone has to do it!

Old March 31st, 2008, 09:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

RCCL gets my vote.

CRUISE HISTORY

12/80 Emerald Seas (Bahamas )
06/93 Carnival Fantasy (Bahamas)
04/95 Carnival Celebration (Eastern Caribbean)
04/98 Majesty OTS (Western Caribbean)
06/00 Ocean Princess (Alaska)
03/01 Majesty OTS (Bahamas)
05/03 Explorer OTS (Eastern Caribbean)
09/04 NCL Norwegian Seas (Texaribbean)
09/05 Mariner OTS (Western Caribbean) B2B
09/05 Mariner OTS (Eastern Caribbean)
11/05 Sovereign OTS (Bahamas) B2B
12/05 Sovereign OTS (Bahamas)
08/06 Sovereign OTS (Bahamas) B2B2B
09/06 Sovereign OTS (Bahamas)
09/06 Sovereign OTS (Bahamas)
12/06 Brilliance OTS (Panama Canal)
09/07 Liberty OTS (Eastern caribbean) B2B
09/07 Liberty OTS (Western Caribbean)
04/08 Carnival Legend (Western Carribean)
09/08 Mariner OTS (Eastern Caribbean)
09/08 Sovereign OTS ( Bahamas) B2B2B2B2B
09/08 Sovereign OTS ( Bahamas)
09/08 Sovereign OTS ( Bahamas)
10/08 Sovereign OTS ( Bahamas)
10/08 Sovereign OTS ( Bahamas)
01/09 Navagator OTS ( Bahamas) B2B
01/09 Navagator OTS ( Bahamas)
09/09 Monarch OTS ( Bahamas) B2B
09/09 Monarch OTS ( Bahamas)
11/09 Monarch OTS ( Bahamas) B2B2B2B2B
11/09 Monarch OTS ( Bahamas)
11/o9 Monarch OTS ( Bahamas)
12/09 Monarch OTS ( Bahamas)
12/09 Monarch OTS ( Bahamas)
09/10 Oasis OTS ( Western Caribbean)
05/11 Crown Princess (Transatlantic)
12/11 Freedom OTS (Caribbean)
11/12 Sovereign Pullmantur (Europe)
11/12 Navigator OTS (Transatlantic)
12/13 Enchantment OTS (Eastern Caribbean)
12/13 Freedom OTS (Eastern Caribbean)

Old March 31st, 2008, 09:53 PM
5,000+ Club

I am 57 and my DH is 60; we enjoy RCI and have always felt comfortable with the balance of ages on the cruises we have taken. Generally we avoid spring break however we are sailing this Thursday and much of Florida is now on spring break so we'll see how it goes.
We enjoy the artwork on the ships, music (especially in the Centrum); lounges, spa areas, theatre, dining rooms and specialty dining rooms.
Kathy

Old April 2nd, 2008, 10:00 AM
Cool Cruiser

Our thoughts regarding this issue are probably different from most folks here. First, my 88 year old mother says HAL is for old fogeys. She found it boring. Second, account price/value ratio, we usually cruise Carnival. At 65, we find we are not among the oldest group aboard. The spread of ages on Carnival is what one would find in any random group--all over the place. It is not a line that caters to a younger crowd; that is a myth perpetrated by some travel agents.

Doc

I cruise for Warm Chocolate Melting Cake!

Old April 2nd, 2008, 05:31 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyM View Post
Len, I'm 60 and I want to put in a plug for Royal Caribbean, my favorite. First, I love their ShipShape $ program, which always offers a very wide assortment of activity levels - walking the deck, aquatics, line dancing, stretching, beanbag tournaments, etc. etc. You get rewarded for participation with the ShipShape dollars, which you can use to "buy" from a nice selection of logo products at the end of the cruise.

Some other reasons: their live shows have terrific production values - they will really knock your socks off. The ships are SO beautiful, especially the Voyager Class, you will enjoy just wandering around and discovering the artwork, and then returning to your favorites. Finally, every Royal Caribbean ship I've been on has a distinctly superior library, well stocked, conveniently located, filled with comfy chairs and terrific views. The library usually winds up being one of my favorite hangouts on every cruise.
I just turned 59 (Feb 26) and my sister turned 61 during our last cruise. I have to agree about the Voyager of the Seas (RCL) being a beautiful ship. I didn't know about the ShipShape program, even though we did walk the track every day. I am glad you mentioned it since it sounds like fun. We will definitely sign up for it next January.

Old April 24th, 2008, 02:33 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
The best line and ship is very subjective, as I have not found the perfect ship. That said, sail on the line and ship that you enjoy, as the saying is "different strokes for different folks."

Old April 28th, 2008, 03:07 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

it s the time of the yr. my wife and i cruise that most of the younger
crowd is back to school..

Jan usually ..and we ve sailed on RCCL, Carnival and more recently
NCL..all have been wondeful..there s no such thing as a bad cruise
and inbetween we ll usually take a 3 or 4 day cruise out of San Pedro..

being quite price consious now that im retired..a Carnival agent has been most helpful in getting us the best military pricing among the lines..