Weather in Australla & New Zealand Oct /Nov

Australia's climate varies largly from the north to south. In late October you would expect the southern areas of Sydney and Melbourne to be warm spring weather, around 70-80F and sunny, maybe some overcast days. Random spring rain is also a possibility but it's unlikely to be days on end. Further north around Cairns is hotter, more around the 90F mark. It's changing from the dry to the wet season so the humidity will be starting to increase, and there may be occasional rain but it's usually only a brief shower in the morning or afternoon.

NZ I'm not too familiar with the weather in all areas, but we were in Auckland and Bay of Islands in mid October on a cruise and they were lovely sunny days. I'm guessing down south would still be pretty cool at that time though.

As Jacs has posted, there is no one weather pattern applicable to Australia at any time of the year. You can guarantee that the 'Top End' i.e. the tropical north will be hot, however in the southern part of Australia including Melbourne and even Sydney you could strike cool to warm weather as spring can be a bit unreliable. It could be cool or it could be warm :eek:

We have lived in Hobart, Melbourne and Sydney and even in Sydney you can experience unpleasant days in spring. Not really cold, just cool and windy or showery.

As you will obviously be spending days at sea, it's usually cooler than on land so you need to be prepared for some chilly weather. Southern NZ could be very cool. We cruised there in summer and it was beautiful but we considered it cold.

The bottom line is that it's advisable to bring clothing that you can layer while in the southern areas and also bring some light rain wear. There is nothing surer to put a dampener on sightseeing than being cold.:D

I hope you have a great time and enjoy your cruise.

We are thinking of booking Holland Volendam 33 day in Oct around Australla and a Holland Noordam 25 day in Nov. around New Zealand Weather will it be cold or warm rain ??? thanks

October cruise around Australia should be a good time to cruise because it will be before the rainy cyclone season in the north.

November cruise around NZ will be cool, being on a ship.

As suggested, bring layers and a wind break, esp for NZ. I cruised around NZ in Dec and the weather was so cold I bought warm shoe liners in Dunedin to stop the damp cold. However, I've toured NZ twice by land in November and we had hot weather.

We are thinking of booking Holland Volendam 33 day in Oct around Australla and a Holland Noordam 25 day in Nov. around New Zealand Weather will it be cold or warm rain ??? thanks

Sounds like a super exciting cruise and adventure. You can go to

http://www.wunderground.com

and check for the very specific weather history on many of the key towns in the world for their past temperatures in that specific area for a date in the past. Just look lower left in the page for weather history area' date=' put in your exact dates and the year prior. You will then see what last year was like, along with recent highs and lows for that date there.

As noted in the live/blog below, we got off of the Solstice in February. Check out these postings for more info/background for options on many of the ports you might be visiting.

For each of our port stops on that cruise, I did a little [b']weather "history/background"[/b] for each different date and stop. Below are a couple of examples on the info that I had for each different port on the specific date we would be there. Very helpful to do that advance planning.

Jan. 20, Monday: Sydney: 2013 weather on this date: high of 75°F, low of 67°F; average high on this date of 80°F, average low of 66°F; average humidity: 72%; recent record high of 91°F (2000), recent record low of 64°F (1997); 2013 precipitation: 0.4, average precipitation on this date: .15; sunrise: 6:03 am; sunset: 8:07 pm. Moon at 89.3%.

Jan. 29, Wednesday, Wellington: 2013: high of 71°F, low of 57°F; average high of 67°F, average low of 57°F; average humidity: 76%; recent record high of 71°F (1998), recent record low of 53°F (1997); 2013 precipitation: zero, average precipitation on this date: .06; sunrise: 6:22 am; sunset: 8:44 pm. Moon at 6%.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Back from doing a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure on this ship and getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for much more information and lots of wonderful pictures on these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 76,604 views for this fun posting.