Shopping in Bangkok

NCP

Would love to hear what Thai gifts or souvenirs you bought during your trip?

Did you get them at markets or regular stores?

Any suggestion or comments regarding handicrafts or unique items?

Jewelry?

Thank you!

Why don't you try the Fodors - Talk - Asia - Bangkok - Shopping link you will get really specific details about shopping, prices and best location. I have used this site extensively and have gathered a wealth of information. There is also a great book "Pleasures and Treasures of Thailand".

you can get great handicrafted items in bangkok. there is a lot of handmade intricate wood carved items. silks are also a great buy in thailand. also, since buddhism is such a part of thai culture there are a lot of religious artifcats you can purchase. gold is also big in thailand. and hand painted stuff is a good buy, such as hand painted fans that you can purchase. they're good decoration or gifts. when i was in thailand over this past new year, i came home with 8 handpainted fans and gave them away as gifts.

to get the best deals you should go to the markets where you can bargain!

• 1 month later...

gold and diamonds are both good buys in Thailand. There is gold everywhere in Bangkok. Just make sure that you purchase from a reputable jeweler and are getting something that is solid gold and good quality. Also diamonds are a good buy in Bangkok. Alot of the diamonds that are sold here in the US are actually mined in Thailand. Once again just make sure that you are getting something that is high quality. Do some research ahead of time. Remember that you can always bargain in Thailand. You will certainly find better prices in Bangkok on gold and diamonds than you can here in the States for comprable merchandise.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We just returned from Bangkok and I purchased a beautiful pair of earrings -- Amethysts set in a 18 ct. gold setting. The Amethysts were from S.A. and set in Bangkok. Our tour guide took us to S.J. International at 125/8 Sawankhalok Road Dusit, Bangkok. She said they were a reputable store. You could bargain somewhat there. My friends also bought some jewelry there.

• 1 month later...

Shop around for jewelry, gemstones and diamonds prior to your trip to get an idea of competitive prices and qualities. Even the best of diamond and gemstone buyers have been taken in Bangkok, insist on documentation with any gemstone or diamond purchasae regarding quality. There are many synthetic and manmade stones out there being sold for big money. Sometimes that "great deal" can not be very good.

CaribbeanBlue

http://www.*****.org

Archived