Hawaii-How late can we arrive at the airport and get to the cruise terminal on time?

UN4GTBL

I used my sky miles for roundtrip tickets from Atlanta, GA to Honolulu, HI for a May 2015 trip. I intend to book the cruise at a later date. Delta has already changed the arrival time 40 minutes later. We get into the airport at 3:05 pm and have to be on the boat by 5pm for a 7pm departure. From what I have read the port is only 20 minutes from the airport. This is the only direct flight that Delta offers and from what I have read they will not change the flight I booked for a 40 minute change on their part and they will not change the date where we could come in a day early. Does anyone know if we can make it to the port on time?

Your chances of making your checkin before the cutoff time are almost none.

Let's say your flight touches down at 3:05. It's at least 15 minutes of taxiing until the plane is at the gate and offloading starts. Now it's 3:30. Assuming you are not behind the family with the baby or somebody with mobility problems it's probably 3:45 before you are in the terminal.

Assuming you don't have to go to the baggage carrousel and you have only carry on luggage you now have to get in line for a taxi for the cruise terminal. Now it's 4:00. (All bets are off if you do have checked baggage.)

Assuming there are no traffic problems and the driver knows how to get to the cruise terminal in 20 minutes it's now 4:25.

Everything would have to go precisely right starting with your flight taking off and arriving as scheduled. And this is most definitely a long haul flight.

I'd recommend that you save your frequent flyer miles for a less crucial time. Fly in the in the day before. Whatever you spend for the new flight is going to be a hell of a lot less than missing the ship. If you keep this current flight you will spend the entire time in a state of worry and anxiety over missing the ship and that's a horrible way to start a vacation.

Edited by BlueRiband

*From what you have read* you don't think they will let you change to a day earlier. Have you talked to someone at Delta? Talk to a supervisor if you have to.

Even if the flight had been at its original 40 minutes earlier time, you're cutting it too close, for all of the reasons BlueRiband mentioned. Plus, what if there is a flight delay?

Fly in a day early and get a hotel near the airport or the cruise terminal. Don't bother going all the way to Waikiki. Use the extra time to visit Pearl Harbor, the maritime museum (right at the port), or something. But flying in at 3:05 for a 5 p.m. board time is cutting it waaaaay too close.

OP,

I'm a Delta passenger too and perhaps I can offer some help.

If you are a Medallion member you can plead your case there BUT...

There may be additional time changes down the pike and Delta generally only permits 1 change.

Make your inquiry by phone...absolutely do not do it online.

When you are looking for alternatives that might get you into Honolulu earlier don't discount a schedule with a connection. It's not the worst thing in the world to interrupt your long flight with a little ground time. Try a mock booking and try to match the ff points to your current reservation. Have that information available when you talk to the CSR.

You can always pay the cancellation/rebooking fee. It's real $$$ and it may affect the amount of points required for your trip. As you should already know points are fluid, one day they are low and 3 minutes later they escalate.

You may want to wait until after Delta beings offering one way award tickets after the first of the year.

I do join everyone else in recommending the arrival at least one day prior to the cruise. If that is not possible then you need a much larger cushion. Your original itinerary with 40 added minutes isn't much better. It certainly would not help in the event of a late arrival.

Good luck and if you have not resolved your air arrangements do post of the CRUISE AIR Forum. It's a couple of clicks over the line on the Cruise Discussions Topics. There are very astute posters there who will gladly help.

I used my sky miles for roundtrip tickets from Atlanta, GA to Honolulu, HI for a May 2015 trip. I intend to book the cruise at a later date. Delta has already changed the arrival time 40 minutes later. We get into the airport at 3:05 pm and have to be on the boat by 5pm for a 7pm departure. From what I have read the port is only 20 minutes from the airport. This is the only direct flight that Delta offers and from what I have read they will not change the flight I booked for a 40 minute change on their part and they will not change the date where we could come in a day early. Does anyone know if we can make it to the port on time?

Honolulu traffic is as unpredictable as LA. Twenty minutes? Maybe at 2 AM

Stop "reading" and start calling. Ask Delta to change the flights. At the worst, you'll need to pay a change fee or a redeposit fee if your miles won't work for the correct flights.

Sadly, you are now yet another example of why it is always a bad idea to fly in on the same day that your cruise leaves.

Of course, you could decide to just go to Hawaii and not do the cruise. But, if you make that choice, head to to Oahu's north shore or, better still, go to Kauai. Honolulu is like LA in more than just traffic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Don't do this.

It is bad enough that you are flying in the day of the cruise which I think is a terrible mistake because should the flight be delayed or cancelled you miss the ship. The first arrival time was not good and this is worse.

I would call them to say this new time will not work. See if they can get you on an earlier flight and better yet see if you can fly in the day before.

Keith

You have a chance if EVERYTHING goes right. This means, flight is on time. It quickly gets to the gate. You are seated at the front of the plane. You get off quickly. You are able to walk quickly thru the terminal. You have only carryon luggage. There is little or no wait for at taxi. Traffic is decent.

Sounds like at best you will have a very stressful day.

Do not book this flight. You will miss your ship even if it's on time. If there are any delays you have no margin for error. It's not worth the risk.

Fly in the day before. Even if you don't miss the ship, but doing what you plan, you miss the 1st day of your cruise because you will be exhausted.

Even if the fee is $100 -- $200 per ticket to change the trip, that is still substantially better than losing your whole vacation investment.

Do not book this flight. You will miss your ship even if it's on time. If there are any delays you have no margin for error. It's not worth the risk.

Fly in the day before. Even if you don't miss the ship, but doing what you plan, you miss the 1st day of your cruise because you will be exhausted.

Even if the fee is $100 -- $200 per ticket to change the trip, that is still substantially better than losing your whole vacation investment.

I agree that this is a bad decision.

Not sure what you mean though about do not book the flight. I think you mean don't take the flight as the OP has already booked it.

Keith

You should call Delta. You said they won't change the flight from what you've read and that is not correct.

If you tell them that you would not have booked the flight in the first place if you knew the time would be what it is now I think you will find that they will help you on this.

Call them.

Keith

You really need to fly in the day before if not 2 days before. Flying from the east coast to HNL is a very long day and you will most likely miss most of the fun on the ship the first day. We flew in the day before and even that was terrible for jet lag.

When we flew from PHL to HNL several years ago we stayed near the port. It took us a little over an hour to get from the airport to the hotel and our flight arrived at 3pm. So please try to change your flight so you can be relaxed when your cruise begins

I agree that this is a bad decision.

Not sure what you mean though about do not book the flight. I think you mean don't take the flight as the OP has already booked it.

I wasn't super clear from the OP's original post. There was something about sky miles & booking later. If it hasn't been booked it should not be. If it has been booked, the fees to change the booking should be paid.

Don't do this.

It is bad enough that you are flying in the day of the cruise which I think is a terrible mistake because should the flight be delayed or cancelled you miss the ship. The first arrival time was not good and this is worse.

I would call them to say this new time will not work. See if they can get you on an earlier flight and better yet see if you can fly in the day before.

Keith

I totally agree. There's most likely numerous things that possibly can/will go wrong with this scenario. This comes from someone who regularly flys into port on the day of departure, but I arrive 6 or 7 hours before departure.

OP: If an airline changes its schedule, you are able to request a new flight without incurring a change fee. However, the airline may not give you a flight that really meets your needs exactly.

As others have said, flying in the same day is not advisable. Thus, this change by Delta offers you the opportunity to get a free change to another, earlier, flight. Take advantage of it.

Arriving at 3 for a 5 cutoff is tough. Sometimes luggage at HNL takes 45 minutes to get. The taxi rank has been known to be slow at crowded times. At the time you finally hit the streets, the traffic to the port along Nimitz Hwy. can be very congested.

I spoke to a Delta Rep this morning. They will not change the flight to a day earlier without a change fee even though they changed the arrival time on the original non-stop booking. They are willing to change us to a flight that gets in at 1:10 on the day of the cruise. This flight has a connection in LAX of 37 minutes. They assured us the luggage would make the connecting flight as they would not sell it as an option if it wasn't possible. They also advised if the initial flight was delayed they could utilize other carriers to get us into Hawaii in time for the cruise. I haven't made the change yet. Any advice?

Pay the change fee and go the day prior. It is totally crazy and pretty risky to fly that distance on the day of your cruise.

Sure, they can say they will put you on another carrier, but what happens, come day of the flight, those other carriers are full?

Edited by CruiserBruce

I spoke to a Delta Rep this morning. They will not change the flight to a day earlier without a change fee even though they changed the arrival time on the original non-stop booking. They are willing to change us to a flight that gets in at 1:10 on the day of the cruise. This flight has a connection in LAX of 37 minutes. They assured us the luggage would make the connecting flight as they would not sell it as an option if it wasn't possible. They also advised if the initial flight was delayed they could utilize other carriers to get us into Hawaii in time for the cruise. I haven't made the change yet. Any advice?

PAY THE FEE and fly in a day early. there are numerous inexpensive hotels by the airport. get there, enjoy a nice Luau in Waikiki and get a good night's rest

Hawai'i/Honolulu should be savored, not rushed through.

How much is the charge to fly in a day early.

They really cannot guarantee that they can get you to Hawaii on time if there was a delay such as due to bad weather or even other things that could go wrong.

Keith

$300 change fee

$300 change fee

I would pay the fee.

You really are taking a big risk flying in the day of the cruise and both flight options are not good. And Delta nor anyone else at the airline can promise you they will make good if something goes wrong.

Just my opinion.

Keith

Thirty-seven minutes at LAX? I wouldn't do it. Even if you make it, which you might (or might not) depending on gates, I'd be surprised if your luggage did.

I'd call Delta back and demand (nicely) to speak with a supervisor. I guess I can see where they are coming from, since you are not connecting to another flight and it's not their fault you'll be trying to catch a ship. But you never know what a supervisor might do if you explain the entire problem politely.