How terrible is Halloween on the High Seas--don't want my kids to be scared

saleeb

I read on another post that the dates we were planning on going on our first DCL will be a Halloween cruise. We haven't booked yet but I wanted to know if it is easy to avoid the Halloween activities? My 3 year old was terribly frightened when he saw a picture of the Halloween tree that is apparently displayed in the atrium (I believe?). Is this tree something we would have to walk past daily? I would hate to spend thousands of dollars on 4 rooms (big family) to have my kids walk away with nightmares instead of great memories. I realize that most would find this concern absurd, but my kids are easily scared. September is truly the only time we would ever sail and if we can't avoid Halloween, we won't be sailing with Disney at all. I'm really bummed because we have been wanting to go for quite some time and we were really looking forward to surprising our kids. I guess it is good that we hadn't told our kids we were going. But, before we make our final decision, I figure I should at least ask if it is easy to avoid any scary or Halloween type activities and decorations. I mean if the tree is frightening to my kids, am I in for a terrible time?

Thank you for any advice.

If a picture of the tree scared your child, I'd say you are not going to want to book DCL. I would have told you that the Disney things were not scary....but I'm not a 3 year old. Some guests do choose to dress up, and those costumes can't be "regulated" by DCL--some could be scary.

Basically you have the tree and a few activities in the kid areas. And there is a costume parade. You can avoid the activities, but you're going to be walking past the tree.

You really can't cruise the first week in November? This would be after Halloween and before "Very Merrytime" which would avoid trees and decorations for either season. Yes, they will likely start on the Christmas decorations almost as soon as Halloween comes down, but it takes a couple weeks to have them fully presented.

Thank you for the reply. That is good advice. We actually love Christmas and would be fine with those decorations. The problem is work schedules and also high season. Is November or December a lot more expensive than September? I had heard that September was the best time to go in terms of price.

Actually, the first 2 weeks of December are one of our favorite times. Prices are on par with September and Christmas is in full swing. November prior to Thanksgiving week is also low season. Also, January and early February are low.

Think of it this way--if/when traditional schools are out, prices are up. If it is a holiday week, prices are WAY up. SO, September after Labor day until the mid-October "fall break," "teacher conferences," or whatever weeks are low. November till the holiday and the first half of December. Schools start to get out about mid December, the exact date depends on the year. Jan and Feb are low until "President's Week" when many private schools take the entire week off. After that, everyone has a different spring break, so prices start to increase.

I've cruised Sept twice (DCL & Carnival) and early Dec (DCL). The Halloween decorations on DCL were mild from my point of view, but as has been pointed out, we are not 3 yr olds (I was terrified of Santa until age 5 or 6) and no one knows their child's limitations like that child's parent.

My observations are more weather based. We cruise the end of Sept due to the favorable weather conditions (close to the end of hurricane season), and prices (Sept seems to be "shoulder season"). Aside from the tree, which sprouted more pumpkins daily, and characters in costume, there were some window clings on the portholes. That's about all. I've heard of a parade, but did not see it. Again, as has been stated, Halloween on the High Seas was overall pretty low key. Plus, you can navigate the ship without going past the tree.

When I sailed DCL on Dec 1, the Christmas decorations were up and very pretty however, the weather was not. It was too cold to swim - on the ship or on Castaway Cay. I was disappointed, but not devastated. I had checked historical weather temps prior to booking, so thought we were in the clear. Not! Perhaps we hit unseasonable cool weather, but I didn't think Dec 1 - 4 would be THAT chilly. Thank goodness for hot tubs!

Correct that the closer you get to the New Year (on either side), the greater the chance for a cold snap. We've had great weather in December and February, but we've also had cruises with uncomfortably cool weather in those months. September is amazing weather--warm like summer but without the oppressive humidity.

I did a Halloween cruise last year, and while I thought the tree was fun and not scary, I am a rational adult and not a 3 year old. ;) However, if your 3 year old is easily frightened, I would test him out with the giant Disney characters before you book any DCL cruise. As a kid I was totally freaked out by clowns and large Mickey Mouses, and while they are not meant to be scary, they're all over the place on a Disney cruise. Also, some of the parties, like Pirate Night and the Halloween Party, are crowded and loud, so that's something to keep in mind -- but those are events that are easily avoided. Hope you find a cruise that works for your family!

Pirate night has been expanded to feature a kid oriented deck party early in the evening as well as the more crowded, more potentially scary one prior to the fireworks. The early one (usually between the two dinner seatings, but I saw it once before early dinner) is much less crowded, much less noisy, and has Disney character pirates ONLY, not the more scary type.

But yes, some kids are frightened by ALL furry characters, some by both fur and face characters...and some only by the "scary" characters. Characters are trained to NOT approach small children unless the child makes the first move toward them. Unfortunately, that doesn't stop some parents from bringing a young child in their arms toward a character while the child is screaming and sobbing. You just have to see how your kid reacts without forcing them!

You may also run the risk of other passengers in costumes your kids would find scary. Or even tshirts (my dad usually wears his nightmare before Christmas tshirts at Halloween).

There is a low time in November just after thanksgiving that has great prices.

If you're going this year, the November 15th Magic 5 night cruise has also remained pretty decently priced. The 4 night before it is actually more expensive than this 5 night. It's a Merry Christmas cruise.

If a picture of the tree scared your child' date=' I'd say you are not going to want to book DCL. I would have told you that the Disney things were not scary....but I'm not a 3 year old. Some guests do choose to dress up, and those costumes can't be "regulated" by DCL--some could be scary.

Basically you have the tree and a few activities in the kid areas. And there is a costume parade. You can avoid the activities, but you're going to be walking past the tree.

You really can't cruise the first week in November? This would be after Halloween and before "Very Merrytime" which would avoid trees and decorations for either season. Yes, they will likely start on the Christmas decorations almost as soon as Halloween comes down, but it takes a couple weeks to have them fully presented.[/quote']

Actually if a costume is found to be too questionable (in several ways) DCL does reserve the right to ask you to change - just like at the Halloween parties in the parks.

Actually if a costume is found to be too questionable (in several ways) DCL does reserve the right to ask you to change - just like at the Halloween parties in the parks.

This is completely true, but they are far more tolerant of guest costumes than those they choose for CMs. Last year at NSSHP we saw some costumes that were definitely not child friendly but were obviously allowed. In fact, we've noticed that the costumes at this event have become more graphic over the years. That said, the ship does tend to be more child appropriate than NSSHP.

We took our 3 year old on the Halloween cruise last year and he loved it! The pumpkin tree isn't scary at all in person and he was excited to watch it grow each day. He went to the Halloween activities and was not scared at all. The Halloween party was the best. He even got to dance with Mickey while they were both in costume. The pirate party was great as well! He loved seeing Captain Mickey retake the ship from Captain Hook. We are actually rebooked for another Halloween cruise this year on the Fantasy.

• 4 weeks later...

The other thing to remember is that this is the first HOTHS cruise of the season. They will have between debarkation of arriving passengers and our embarkation to start on the decorations (while they do the normal cleaning & prepping for new passengers). When we get there, the decorations will be relatively sparse, and they'll continue to decorate as the cruise progresses. So your kids may get used to it during the course of the trip.

Thank you dread_pirate. We actually did a 180 and booked an October 23 cruise on the Wonder, which means we will actually be on the boat during Halloween. I was comforted with some of the responses here and we did a 180 because the October 23rd sailing had a sale. I was worried, but in the end, after looking thru lots of pictures, it didn't look too bad. Davidmbfonz, you wrote an amazing review and I enjoyed your photos. What a beautiful family!

Thank you dread_pirate. We actually did a 180 and booked an October 23 cruise on the Wonder, which means we will actually be on the boat during Halloween. I was comforted with some of the responses here and we did a 180 because the October 23rd sailing had a sale. I was worried, but in the end, after looking thru lots of pictures, it didn't look too bad. Davidmbfonz, you wrote an amazing review and I enjoyed your photos. What a beautiful family!

Wow - that's so flattering... so glad to help out. In my overall opinion, the Halloween decorations are fairly tasteful, and just add to the fun. Enjoy your cruise!!

While there is Halloween decorations, most are more fall related and are not scarey.

Have you ever gone to Mickey's Not So Scarey Halloween Party at Magic Kingdom? It is like that, where the decorations are designed fro little ones to have fun and nto be scared.

My 3 year old was terribly frightened when he saw a picture of the Halloween tree that is apparently displayed in the atrium (I believe?). Is this tree something we would have to walk past daily?

It changes during the cruise. It's just a tree, then when they have the festivities it has pumpkins. I only know those because those are the only times I remember seeing it. The time of the change is actually in the Navigator, from what I recall.