Parking at Port of NY (711, 12th Ave)

CrusingJoe

I'm thinking of crusing NCL Dawn from Port of NY and driving from Boston. Can anyone tell me how the parking is and how much I should pay for 7 days of parking. I have gone on line and not finding any postive information. The cruise port parking is $30.00 a day or $210.00 a week. At that price I might want to take Amtrack, what can anyone tell me?

I'm thinking of crusing NCL Dawn from Port of NY and driving from Boston. Can anyone tell me how the parking is and how much I should pay for 7 days of parking. I have gone on line and not finding any postive information. The cruise port parking is $30.00 a day or $210.00 a week. At that price I might want to take Amtrack, what can anyone tell me?

Parking in Manhattan is very expensive, and the information you already have is correct...parking at the cruise pier is $30 per day, or $210 for a 7 day cruise.

There are other parking facilities within reasonable walking distance of the pier, but they will likely cost no less than the rates at the pier unless you have a discount coupon. If you google something like "discount parking in Manhattan" you'll get links to various possibilities...but don't expect anything to be inexpensive.

Add about one hour into your estimate of how long it will take. First of all, its very confusing the first time you go and you may just have to go around the block once or twice. Secondly, once you get to the right spot and get into the correct turning lane, you'll have another half hour minimum waiting and waiting and waiting to turn.

You might look into driving to southern Conn and taking a train from there.

There is another alternative which would take you out of your way, but would be cheaper and easy. Drive to NJ and take NY Waterways across the river from Port Imperial Weehawken. Parking is $10/day. The ferry is $7 per person each way. It takes about 10 minutes and their mid-town terminal is about 15 blocks south of the cruise terminal. If you do not want to walk, you could take their free bus that drops you off about 5 blocks from the port or take a taxi for $10 or less depending on traffic.

You can save about $40 by using a parking garage a couple blocks away from the pier. We use the pier parking if weather is an issue (don't want to walk in rain or snow), but use the garage if it is nice out. We typically go to the Icon parking website and make a reservation in advance. That way, they cannot turn you away even if they are "full." But there is not commitment. We drop our luggage at the pier, one of us waits with the luggage while the other one parks the car and runs back. Pretty easy - certainly easier than dealing with public transportation IMO.

I've driven to the port four times and have never encountered such seriously heavy traffic as to wait half an hour.

I've encountered worse traffic there. Memorial Day weekend...2 or 3 cruise ships in port and thousands of tourists visiting Intrepid. The limo driver attempting to pick us up was stuck in a standstill jam trying to go far enough north on 12th Ave to make the turn into the cruise pier complex. We finally crossed 12 Ave with our luggage in tow and had him pick us up at the southeast corner of 48th St and northbound 12th Ave, which then allowed him to turn east to get away fom the area.

We just returned from the 2/27 sailing of the GEM. Parked at the port. Although expensive we found it incredibly convienet to have our car right there. Matter of fact, they began walk-off at 9:15 sharp and I was traveling north on the West Side Highway at 9:39. You can't beat that for a quick and painless exit.

Should I sail from Manhattan ever again I would certainly do the same. :D

We just returned from the 2/27 sailing of the GEM. Parked at the port. Although expensive we found it incredibly convienet to have our car right there. Matter of fact, they began walk-off at 9:15 sharp and I was traveling north on the West Side Highway at 9:39. You can't beat that for a quick and painless exit.

Should I sail from Manhattan ever again I would certainly do the same. :D

You no doubt got to park in the spot we had just paid a porter $20 to shovel out.:D

It was a mess for the 2/20 cruisers to get out of the lot.

I've encountered worse traffic there. Memorial Day weekend...2 or 3 cruise ships in port and thousands of tourists visiting Intrepid. The limo driver attempting to pick us up was stuck in a standstill jam trying to go far enough north on 12th Ave to make the turn into the cruise pier complex. We finally crossed 12 Ave with our luggage in tow and had him pick us up at the southeast corner of 48th St and northbound 12th Ave, which then allowed him to turn east to get away fom the area.

it gets crazy in that area - but it sounds like you might have been there during Fleet Week. now THAT is crazy traffic on the West Side....

You no doubt got to park in the spot we had just paid a porter $20 to shovel out.:D

It was a mess for the 2/20 cruisers to get out of the lot.

Brought my own shovel LOL.

We were parked up on Pier 90. The snow seemed to have been pushed to the sides before we arrived. I feel for those arriving back on the 26th, New York was hammered and there was a lot of snow.

Brought my own shovel LOL.

We were parked up on Pier 90. The snow seemed to have been pushed to the sides before we arrived. I feel for those arriving back on the 26th, New York was hammered and there was a lot of snow.

That confirms what I thought might happen...the arriving passengers parking on pier 90 rather than 88.

I brought a shovel...but it (and I) wasn't capable of dealing with the ice-encrusted mess.

That confirms what I thought might happen...the arriving passengers parking on pier 90 rather than 88.

I brought a shovel...but it (and I) wasn't capable of dealing with the ice-encrusted mess.

We were on 90, but both were completely full and cars were parked along the side of the 3rd level ramp as well. The lots were full of Quebecers, me included, that drove down in that storm for that cruise. 90 had cars parked in the center as they should be and all along the outside walls at whatever angle you could park, they had pushed the snow there.

What's the best time to get a good parking space at pier? What's the best pier to park at?

What's the best time to get a good parking space at pier? What's the best pier to park at?

We usually arrive at the pier between 11 and 11:30 am. NCL ships almost always berth at pier 88, and you can usually park right on the roof of the pier at which your ship is berthed. If the lot is full they'll direct you to park atop another pier.

Manhattan os bad for traffic, but going to the west side during Fleet week is asking for trouble. It's like trying to drive to Time Square on New Years eve. There's always traffic, but some days are ridiculous.

BTW July 4 is a Sunday this year. If the fireworks are on the west side like last year, it'll be tough getting around

Consider Bolt bus from downtown Boston to Penn Station. Then, take a short taxi ride to the port. My family of 4 traveled to and from NYC to Boston last summer. Total bus cost for all of 4 of us was $120 round trip. The bus was clean, safe and reliable. Bus trip duration one way was about 3.5-4 hours.

Archived