St Thomas Snorkel

kariaries

Hi all. My family will be cruising to St Thomas in a couple of months. We have 13 and 16 year old children, both who swim but I wouldn't call strong swimmers. We all love to snorkel. I have been researching like crazy for the best snorkeling for us at this port. I would LOVE to go to Waterlemon Cay, but between the current and time restraint (we are in port 8 hours), I am quite hesitant. More than anything I know we would love to see a turtle and my daughter would live to see some natural coral. I would consider an excursion if it would be reasonably priced for the 4 of us, but would prefer a beach we could explore on our own. I am open to either St Thomas or St John, as long as we have the time to enjoy ourselves. We are fine with less amenities if it means better snorkeling. For those who have been there, what are your suggestions?

The areas with best coral and snorkeling from sbore are more remote and not conducive to cruisers.

Your best bet would be a private day sail with a captain that can take you to remote spots. There are many private day sails that only take max 6 people.

Those of us that regularly dive and snorkel get somewhat spoiled by going to great spots but for most people there are some very rewarding places on St. Thomas

I would look into. Coki, Sapphire, and Secret Harbor and I think you would really enjoy anyone of them

We were just in St Thomas last week. We took the ship excursion to St John (explore on your own). On St John, we took a taxi to Trunk Bay. There are plenty of things to see while snorkelling from the beach. I hear that Cinnamon Bay on St Joohn has good beach snorkelling as well, but we didn't go there and haven't been to beaches on St Thomas either to compare. We LOVED trunk bay, though--not the absolute best snorkelling we've had, but the beach is just so beautiful, and we liked that it is part of a National Park.

We had great snorkeling at Sapphire and Coki. I have to say I liked the snorkeling better at Coki. It's right off the beach and not much swimming required. Some beautiful fish and coral there. Check out my review with TONS of pictures in it (listed in my signature line) and you'll see what the snorkeling is there. :)

How did you get to Coki? By taxi? If so, how much was it and was it easy to get one back?

We just grabbed a taxi (which was a van and they fill it with everyone going there or going somewhere along the way) and the cost was $10pp. Our driver even ask what time we wanted picked up and he actually came back for us too. :)

The beach chairs there were $5 each. As far as food, it was $4 for a beer, around $8 for cocktails, and you could get 6 wings & fries for around $10.

We just grabbed a taxi (which was a van and they fill it with everyone going there or going somewhere along the way) and the cost was $10pp. Our driver even ask what time we wanted picked up and he actually came back for us too. :)

The beach chairs there were $5 each. As far as food, it was $4 for a beer, around $8 for cocktails, and you could get 6 wings & fries for around $10.

Did you rent snorkel equipment and if so how much was it and what was the condition. With luggage constraints I hate bringing any with me. How far was it from cruise terminal.

Did you rent snorkel equipment and if so how much was it and what was the condition. With luggage constraints I hate bringing any with me. How far was it from cruise terminal.

No we don't rent. We have our own that we bring every cruise. Sorry, I don't know the price.

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from our cruise and we used St. Thomas Scuba and Snorkel. It was a private snorkel tour (there were five of us) and we went to some areas where we were the only boat. Web and Todd were awesome. Web would get in the water with us and point things out to us. The coral was so pretty and we saw a lot of fish and sea creatures. I would highly recommend them. They have a website and a Facebook page.

We just returned from our cruise and we used St. Thomas Scuba and Snorkel. It was a private snorkel tour (there were five of us) and we went to some areas where we were the only boat. Web and Todd were awesome. Web would get in the water with us and point things out to us. The coral was so pretty and we saw a lot of fish and sea creatures. I would highly recommend them. They have a website and a Facebook page.

I was about to recommend contacting At Thomas Scuba and Snorkel as well. Their three beach trip was great and so are their boat trips. Use the contact us on their web site for their recommendation. Our trip was just us