pillowtop mattress on some Princess ships?

vmom

I read on another thread that at least some of the mattresses on the Coral are pillowtop.

Is that on all ships? Or is it only on certain top categories of cabins?

We have been on several Princess ships and have never had a pillowtop and wondered if this something new.

In all the posts I've read it seems that it's hit or miss if you'll get a pillowtop. I've read posts from people on the same ship and one person will say they got one and another will say they didn't. I think they are replacing them as needed maybe? I'm crossing my fingers that they'll be on the Sapphire by this fall.

They were on the Star in March. Perhaps others can chime in here if they have had them on other ships.

Pam, we were on the cruise after yours on the Star and we didn't have one in our stateroom. We were in an oceanview. We got an eggcrate topper and the bed wasn't bad with that. The mattress, however, was definitely not pillowtop.

Pam, we were on the cruise after yours on the Star and we didn't have one in our stateroom. We were in an oceanview. We got an eggcrate topper and the bed wasn't bad with that. The mattress, however, was definitely not pillowtop.
Hmm... I was in a Caribe balcony. Hopefully, they've replaced the mattresses in the other cabins by now.

They were on the Star in March. Perhaps others can chime in here if they have had them on other ships.

Just as I've previously read, it seems to be hit or miss. Anyone else have the new pillowtops? What ship, what category and when?

Not in our cabin on Pam's cruise either, but we have no problem with the old type mattresses.

We are booked on a cabin on the Plaza deck on the Coral.

The beds will be in a twin configuration. Last time we travelled on the Ruby with a twin bed configuration, the steward said there were no twin egg crates available...not sure if he meant that there were only a few and those were in use or if there are not twin size available...either way we didn't get one. I requested egg crates by fax and as soon as I got on ship.

Now I will be on the Coral. If we get a pillow top then the egg crate is not needed, but otherwise i wanted to make sure and do what I can to get an egg crate for the mattress.

I was just on the Caribbean Princess in a mini-suite. We had a pillow top but it sure didn't help that the mattress sagged on the side and by the end of the week I had a sore back :mad: It was soft enough for me though, just lopsided.

The beds will be in a twin configuration. Last time we travelled on the Ruby with a twin bed configuration, the steward said there were no twin egg crates available...not sure if he meant that there were only a few and those were in use or if there are not twin size available...either way we didn't get one. I requested egg crates by fax and as soon as I got on ship.

Now I will be on the Coral. If we get a pillow top then the egg crate is not needed, but otherwise i wanted to make sure and do what I can to get an egg crate for the mattress.

You'll probably have no problem getting one. If they had told me that a twin size one wasn't available I'd have told them to give me a double/queen and fold it. It sounds like the steward just didn't look hard enough for one.

Janice (Cruising J)

We are on the Golden in August and in a Window Suite (311) - would you mind answering a few questions? Not sure if you are gonna follow this thread, since you are on :) vacation - so I will wait until you respond to see if your watching....

I was Pam's neighbor on the Star and the solf lifeless matresses were one of my complaints. I did have the steward flip the matress once and that improved the firmness for a day or two. Definitely was NOT a pillow top like we have at home. I ached a few morning, something I'm sure an egg top wouldn't of cured.

Janice (Cruising J)

We are on the Golden in August and in a Window Suite (311) - would you mind answering a few questions? Not sure if you are gonna follow this thread, since you are on :) vacation - so I will wait until you respond to see if your watching....

This is the third time I've tried to answer you, but my posts keep going to la la land. Satellite coverage is spotty where we are now and it currently feels like we're riding a bucking bronco. Post any questions you have and I'll check back tomorrow. It's a sea day so I'll have some time. We're in 307 and we've loved our window suite. In fact, I tried to book one for our 2014 cruise, but they're sold out!

The beds will be in a twin configuration. Last time we travelled on the Ruby with a twin bed configuration, the steward said there were no twin egg crates available...not sure if he meant that there were only a few and those were in use or if there are not twin size available...either way we didn't get one.

They were probably in use because I had a twin egg crate on the Ruby. In fact, I was on the top bunk and had the steward put one up there. The egg crates are so thin, it didn't help very much. Getting a double and folding it in half, mentioned by a previous poster, sounds like a great idea.

Does anyone know if the Ruby has pillow tops yet?

We are cruising in July and just returned from a vacation where I slept very poorly because of the hard mattress (makes my hips ache and I have to roll over every 30 minutes or so)

Thanks.

Janice

Thank you for taking time away from your vacation to answer! Glad to hear you love your WS - was one of my questions! Do you miss a balcony? Are the windows large enough and clean enough to get a good look at the ocean? Any smell from the cigar bar in the room or hallway? How is the suite life on the Golden? Our first time in a suite so any info is appreciated!

Thanks again! Hope your seas become smoother for a less "bumpy" cruise.

Janice

Thank you for taking time away from your vacation to answer! Glad to hear you love your WS - was one of my questions! Do you miss a balcony? Are the windows large enough and clean enough to get a good look at the ocean? Any smell from the cigar bar in the room or hallway? How is the suite life on the Golden? Our first time in a suite so any info is appreciated!

Thanks again! Hope your seas become smoother for a less "bumpy" cruise.

We haven't missed having a balcony this trip because the sea days have been cool. Plus, there's a lot of ship to be outdoors. The windows are quite large, but they were dirty when we got on and were never washed. You certainly can't take a picture out of them. You can't smell the cigar bar at all. They keep the door on this side of the ship closed at all times. Plus, you're in a separate hallway where the doors are usually closed. Your cabin is at the end farthest from the bar. The location is one of the things we've liked the most. It's really convenient. I can't say enough about the suite benefits. Right now we're getting ready for breakfast at Sabatini's where they treat you like royalty. There is only one thing I don't like. This cabin creaks and shudders when the seas are rough. I don't know if that's true about all the window suites. Maybe you can open a separate thread and ask that question. I would book one again and that's the best recommendation I can give. Enjoy your cruise.

I just got off the Ruby on Sunday. I was upgraded to a Vista Suite and it had a pillow top mattress. I have to say, it was the most comfortable bed I've ever had on a Princess ship.

There is only one thing I don't like. This cabin creaks and shudders when the seas are rough. I don't know if that's true about all the window suites.

I have had the creaking and shuddering during rough seas when I was in inside cabins, outside cabins and balcony cabins. It is not a "feature" limited to window suites.

I have had the creaking and shuddering during rough seas when I was in inside cabins, outside cabins and balcony cabins. It is not a "feature" limited to window suites.
Creaking is a GOOD thing. :) Ships are designed to be flexible, just like tall skyscrapers, and move with the wind and seas. If they weren't designed this way, they would be stressed too much. Many decades ago, I worked in the TIME-LIFE building in NYC on the 31st floor. On the first really windy day, it felt almost like being on a boat, with creaking and movement. I was reassured that this was a design, not a flaw. The building was designed to sway several inches in each direction. :) Of course, that building had (and probably still has) real design flaws but movement wasn't one of them.

We haven't missed having a balcony this trip because the sea days have been cool. Plus, there's a lot of ship to be outdoors. The windows are quite large, but they were dirty when we got on and were never washed. You certainly can't take a picture out of them. You can't smell the cigar bar at all. They keep the door on this side of the ship closed at all times. Plus, you're in a separate hallway where the doors are usually closed. Your cabin is at the end farthest from the bar. The location is one of the things we've liked the most. It's really convenient. I can't say enough about the suite benefits. Right now we're getting ready for breakfast at Sabatini's where they treat you like royalty. There is only one thing I don't like. This cabin creaks and shudders when the seas are rough. I don't know if that's true about all the window suites. Maybe you can open a separate thread and ask that question. I would book one again and that's the best recommendation I can give. Enjoy your cruise.

We'll be in a Window Suite on the May 22nd sailing... maybe they'll wash the windows during the dry dock? I can always hope!

B

Archived