Looking for reasonably priced light weight luggage

charliem

Hello,

We are considering the purchase of a couple of pieces of new luggage. Would really like something light weight but with reasonable durability. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I have searched this forum but a lot of the talk is several years old and I know luggage manufactures change their lines often.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Charlie

Hello,

We are considering the purchase of a couple of pieces of new luggage. Would really like something light weight but with reasonable durability. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I have searched this forum but a lot of the talk is several years old and I know luggage manufactures change their lines often.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Charlie

We bought a Hays Hard Shell Spinner bag that weighted 6 lbs empty .

Check out International Traveller (IT) luggage. They make soft sided, hard sided and a line that is hard on one side and soft on the other. I have found them at Marshall's and SteinMart for very good prices as well as the usual on-line stores. They make spinners as well as two wheeled bags. They have a soft sided 30" bag that weights 5 lbs. 6 oz.

Reasonably priced will be different among poeple. What's reasonable to me may not be for you.

I like Travel Pro's Crew 8 line of luggage. It's fairly durable and lightweight and many flight crews use this line of luggage. Here's what I meant about reasonably priced, TravelPro is not the cheapest line of luggage but I find the quality makes a difference in what the luggage costs. Kinda like you get what you pay for.

One thing is for sure, there are lots of choices out there for luggage. Good luck and have fun making your selection.

I bought a carryon by Heys at Target for a very good price. Recently, I saw the same bag (3 years later) at Big Lots for half what I paid. Burlington is another good place to shop. EM

Are you referring to Burlington Coat Factory???

I think you really need to define exactly what you need.

I assume you are looking for a carryOn. I would recommend NOT getting lightweight if you plan to check the bag since they are not as durable.

If you want to minimize weight for an international travel which may have a weight lmiit of 18 pounds you want a very unstructured bag like a traditional duffel, a Rick Steves type of bag, or backpack. Wheeled luggage averages 2 pounds more than without wheels. The lightest weight bags are in the 3 to 5 pound range. Most "lightweight" luggage weighs around 7 pounds.

Know that a lot of 22"bags really measure 1 to 2" longer and only US carriers will allow them. If you want to be sure your lightweight bag will be acceptable take a tape measure and a luggage scale when you go shopping.

Buy the lightest luggage that meets your needs.

I have travelpro maxilite 22" for us flights, but an ebag etech 20" for international travel. When I'm carryon only I limit shoes to two pairs, wearing my walking shoes, and packing my lighter slip-ons. The limited shoe wardrobe reduces weight and lets me use my weight allowance for wheeled luggage. I really need wheels for getting through airports, trains, and getting to accommodations.

Archived