First time in St. Croix

corkster

Actually, there is a local beach right at the dock, and you can walk along it about 15-20 minutes (to your left if you're facing the water) and find a delightful little hotel where you can have lunch in a beachside cafe - I think it's called Sandcastle. The beach is not wide and there are large boulders, but the sand is soft and fine and on a calm day the water is clear and beautiful, and there's very good snorkeling right from the beach. They also made great mango coladas.

We were there in December and it was very quiet - noone on the beach at all. The shopping isn't much but it may be better now that ships have come back. One nice store is on a corner and sells the work of local artists and craftspeople - something like Cruzan Arts.

While there are large and fancy hotels on the other side, in Christiansted, the beaches and the water is much nicer in Fredericksted, where the dock is.

Just be sure that whenever you speak to the local people, you say Good Afternoon first - they apparently are very insulted when others don't follow that custom. However, we found them to be lovely people and very anxious to help tourists.

Enjoy!!

• 2 weeks later...

There is shopping in Frederiksted but not a whole lot, a few stores and there are usually vendors set up selling souvenirs and other things on cruise ship days. They set up right by the peir. Christiansted has more shops, you'd have to take a taxi to get there.

There are several beaches right by the pier. Fort Frederik Beach is right there, a hop, skip and a jump from the peir. Its an ok beach. Fort Frederik is right there too, its an old Danish Fort - interesting if you like history. And of course you can take taxis are explore other parts of the island. Try a St. Croix guide for doing some research; http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0oGkkPti99Jh0IBOYVXNyoA?p=st.+croix+guide+%2B+things+to+do&fr=yfp-t-305&fr2=sb-top.

--Islander

• 6 years later...
So can u walk right off the ship to go through these little towns?:)

This is a really old post, took me a minute to check if this was recent or not lol.

The ships dock in Frederiksted (my home) which is the smaller of the 2 towns here. You can walk directly off the pier and into town to go shopping, drinking, or eating. Or turn left and enjoy Fort Frederik for a historical tour. Keep going past the fort onto the beach for swimming and snorkeling. Up ahead you'll see Freedom City Surf which has equipment rentals and food.

If you're here for shopping you'll probably want to head east to Christiansted in a taxi. There you'll find a more upscale experience of shopping and dining.

Let me know if I can answer anything else for you!