Avalon -Basel(Zurich) to Amsterdam

bohaiboy

Here I thought I had overpaid by taking the AMA post-cruise extension to Lucerne and Zurich -- with all this talk about how expensive Switzerland is, I'm very glad I got over my sticker shock before I left the US!

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

I agree! Lucerne was so much more interesting than Zurich, and much prettier. The prices will blow you away. We didn't eat at McDonalds, but went in just to check prices. 18 CHF for a value meal! Chocolate was $70 per pound. The round trip cost to the top of Mt. Pilatus was $70 per person! It was outrageous, but that was actually worth it. We were there in April, so still lots of snow on the mountain. It was breathtaking!

We stayed at the Movenpick in Zurich and breakfast was included. It was a really nice breakfast. Good thing it was included, because I think it was around $40 by itself.

Thanks to all posters for your suggestions! My DH and I spent 1 day in Lucerne about 3 years ago Pre-river cruise. This December we will be there post Avalon cruise with friends who have never visited Lucerne. We will be at the Zurich Movenpick for 2 nights but by the time we disembark in Basel and get transported to Zurich Hotel, we will only have 1/2 of day 1 remaining. So.... the plan is to spend it in Zurich so they can catch a few of the sites before it gets dark and then take the train the next morning to Lucerne for our last day there. We have seen the Lion monument and will take them to see it but was hoping to maybe get up to Mt. Pilates if weather and visability are decent and not to expensive. We did not get to do this our last time there. I remember all to well the priciness of food etc. in Switzerland so I can imagine that the tickets to Mt Pilatus will be on the higher end.

We spent most of our 1st time there years ago walking around and enjoying the beautiful sights around the lake and town and a leisurely Dinner outside along the river. In mid-December pending weather, our options will be quite different for dining. ;)

• 3 weeks later...