Train from Sydney Airport to Downtown

4774Papa

I discovered on the Internet that Sydney has a train from the Airport to Downtown Sydney. My hotel is only about a block and a half from the Town Center station.

My question. If we elect to use this train. How difficult will it be to roll our luggage down to the station, find the elevator, then train, load our luggage, etc?

The fare is $12 pp. $24 is proabably about half what a taxi will cost, from what I have seen on cc.

The train from the airport is a great option for getting into the city. The train stations are below the terminals at both international and domestic so are really easy to access and rolling a suitcase along city streets is not an uncommon occurrence. Taxi to the city will cost about $60 so it's certainly more economical.

Airport link train at Sydney International terminal is well marked. Turn right when you exit customs and follow the signs. There are elevators to the platform and you can buy tickets at a staffed kiosk or at machines. Credit cards accepted. Trains are regular suburban trains which can be busy in rush hour. There is a small section on the train level with the platform with the main sitting levels up and down stairs. With luggage, you will want to sit or stand on the level section but you can imagine it could be crowded if busy. For those with very little luggage and not minding a walk, you can save quite a bit on the fare by walking to Wolli Creek Station.

Pic of train here Sydney - CityRail - Museum Station

Edited by movc

The train is a smart way to get into the Sydney CBD . The train comes from further South and stops first at the International terminal, then Domestic Terminal, then Mascot (NOT the Airport), then Green Square, then Sydney Central station, then goes around the City area underground via Museum, St.James, Circular Quay (alight here for cruises departing from Overseas Passenger terminal), Wynyard (alight here for cruise departing from wharf 5 Hickson Rd, Barangaroo), and finally Town Hall .

All stations have elevators from street level to platforms.

Board the train at doorway and with luggage move towards the end of the carriage . Do not go up or down the stairs as the carriages are double deck.

Easy peasy . $ 12 pp each way . Service runs in reverse direction to Airport.

NB: Mascot is not the station for the airport even though the Airport is at Mascot .

Alight/ board at Airport Domestic for flights within Australia.

Alight / board at Airport International for International flights .

Train seems a good option to get to Circular Quay. Our hotel id nearby, but too far for us oldies to walk with luggage. Is it easy to get a taxi from the train station there? Is there a minimum charge for journeys?

Sandy in Spain

Train seems a good option to get to Circular Quay. Our hotel id nearby, but too far for us oldies to walk with luggage. Is it easy to get a taxi from the train station there? Is there a minimum charge for journeys?

Are you sure it's too far? Circular quay is central, and level to most, so generally would be very close e.g. under 200m if the hotel is at Circular Quay.

However, if you want to take a taxi, there's a central road beside the station so taxis should be readily available. There is no minimum charge as such, but there is a flagfall of just under $5.

Edited by The_Big_M

Just wondering how far is the walk from the train station to the Overseas Passenger Terminal at Circular Quay? Is it difficult with luggage?

It's very close - about 100m, on level ground once you're at street level (a lift and escalators are available at the station). There are even no roads to cross so it's very easy.

Just wondering how far is the walk from the train station to the Overseas Passenger Terminal at Circular Quay? Is it difficult with luggage?

Thanks.

About the length of the ship - perhaps a little more;). Hardest part is getting off the train quickly and in and out of the lift. The platforms are above ground. Once you are at ground level it is a flat walk directly to the OPT past the pointy end of the ship.

Sandy in Spain

If your hotel is Sydney Harbour Marriott or 4 Seasons they are within very easy walking distance. If you take a taxi to these be aware that some taxi drivers may refuse even though they are not permitted to do so. Yes we have them in Sydney too. BTW taxi's here are metered.

If your hotel is Sydney Harbour Marriott or 4 Seasons they are within very easy walking distance. If you take a taxi to these be aware that some taxi drivers may refuse even though they are not permitted to do so. Yes we have them in Sydney too. BTW taxi's here are metered.

We´re staying at Rendezvous Stafford in Harrington Street. Last time we were in Sydney, we booked a shuttle from Airport to the same hotel, but the service was abysmal, hence possible change of plan.

Sandy in Spain

Edited by t60

We´re staying at Rendezvous Stafford in Harrington Street. Last time we were in Sydney, we booked a shuttle from Airport to the same hotel, but the service was abysmal, hence possible change of plan.

Sandy in Spain

Fair enough, yes some of the shuttles go from hotel to hotel - annoying. Still think that Rendezvous is walkable - only that short uphill section at Argyle St between George and Harrington. From the station to Argyle St is flat.

Fair enough, yes some of the shuttles go from hotel to hotel - annoying. Still think that Rendezvous is walkable - only that short uphill section at Argyle St between George and Harrington. From the station to Argyle St is flat.

It wasn´t that the shuttle went from hotel to hotel. A driver with no form of identification turned up at the airport nearly 2 hours late, approached us and said you´re the couple I´m here for, was generally surly when we asked for identification, didn´t know our names...so we were naturally suspicious. We waited the 2 hours as neither we or the office at the airport could contact the company (which I can name and shame if you want) but it eventually turned out he was the right chap for us. He didn´t help with our cases and didn´t speak a word during the journey which was just to our hotel. Just not a good introduction to Oz on that occasion.

Sandy in Spain

It wasn´t that the shuttle went from hotel to hotel. A driver with no form of identification turned up at the airport nearly 2 hours late, approached us and said you´re the couple I´m here for, was generally surly when we asked for identification, didn´t know our names...so we were naturally suspicious. We waited the 2 hours as neither we or the office at the airport could contact the company (which I can name and shame if you want) but it eventually turned out he was the right chap for us. He didn´t help with our cases and didn´t speak a word during the journey which was just to our hotel. Just not a good introduction to Oz on that occasion.

Sandy in Spain

That's terrible. Some people should just not work in this industry. Australian's are usually the most helpful and friendly people around. I hope everything goes better for you this time.

We took the taxi because of our 15 hr. flight we were very very tired and did not want to have to hassle with trains. When you are that tired and have already been up for over 24 hrs. then you want the most convenient way even though it costs more.

Taxi is not a bad way to go.

Bet i know who the company was. Did it start with a K?

How did you know???

Can anyone recommend any other company which doesn´t begin with a K?

Sandy in Spain

Cassamanda,

We are staying at the Radisson at 72 Liverpool street. After reading these posts, I think we will take the train from the International Terminal in town. Where do we get off the train to get to the Radisson and can we walk there or should we take a cab?

Jane

If you get off the train in Town Hall it's a short walk to Liverpool Street. I work on that street and I love the Spanish restaurants. You're in quite a good spot there, not far from Darling Harbour.

BTW, no one refers to Sydney city as Downtown. It's either 'town' or 'the city'. Just like the harbour is not a river.

Cassamanda,

We are staying at the Radisson at 72 Liverpool street. After reading these posts, I think we will take the train from the International Terminal in town. Where do we get off the train to get to the Radisson and can we walk there or should we take a cab?

Jane

Hi Jane,

no need to get a cab. You have two choices of stations to get off at. Refer to the attached PDF of the Airport Train map City Section.

Your hotel is on the northern corner of Liverpool St and Sussex St. You can get off at either Museum Station (1st one after Central) on the corner of Elizabeth and Liverpool Sts or Town Hall Station as suggested by previous poster and walk down George St (downhill) to Liverpool St and turn right, Sussex is 2 short blocks down.

The exit out of Town Hall Station may be a bit confusing but head for the George St/Town Hall exit and ask where the lift (elevator) is. It accesses George St on the eastern side between Park and Bathurst St.

You are in the heart of the Spanish quarter and next to China Town. (Just continue south along Sussex ST or go down one more block to Dixon St). Hope this helps a little.

http://www.airportlink.com.au/sydney-city-map.php

Hello,

We would appreciate suggestions on the best train/metro option from Sydney International Airport Terminal to Kings Cross Station.

Would also like to know best transportation options from Kings Cross area to Cruise Port Terminal.

We will only have one small roll-aboard and one backpack each.

Thank you. :)

Are you rather party hard types? Kings Cross is the Red Light District, do I hope I know what you're in for.

You can cab it, but you can also catch a train there. You'll need to change at Town Hall or Central to get to the Cross, I recommend changing at Town Hall as you don't have to hike to platform 24/25. You need the Bondi Junction line.

To the cruise terminal, you can bus it (not sure of ones as I don't go up that way), get the train (again, you'll have to change to get to Circular Quay to get to the terminal) or cab it. I suggest cabbing it, it's not far.

Are you rather party hard types? Kings Cross is the Red Light District, do I hope I know what you're in for.

You can cab it, but you can also catch a train there. You'll need to change at Town Hall or Central to get to the Cross, I recommend changing at Town Hall as you don't have to hike to platform 24/25. You need the Bondi Junction line.

To the cruise terminal, you can bus it (not sure of ones as I don't go up that way), get the train (again, you'll have to change to get to Circular Quay to get to the terminal) or cab it. I suggest cabbing it, it's not far.

Thank you... we appreciate the feedback ! ! !