terror attack in Barcelona today 8/17

susiesan

For anyone boarding a ship in Barcelona soon this happened today:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4799836/People-hurt-van-crashes-pedestrians-Barcelona.html

Terrible. Unfortunately these kind of attacks have become all too common in European cities. ISIS announced they would be using cars as weapons and that is what they are doing.

Edited by susiesan

Terrible news. We travel a loa as do most of the folks on this board and I just counted up our exposure. We have been, physically, at exactly the same location as five of these terrorist attacks on tourist areas in Europe. Barcelona, Nice, Istanbul and two in London. Obviously the statistical risk in low but it does make you think.

Nevertheless, we will keep on traveling but perhaps a bit more cautiously.

Robbie

I was so looking forward to our upcoming cruise on the Riviera - leaving from Barcelona on September 8th. So, now this tragedy will likely impact all visitors to Spain, including me. We arrive a few days early to explore Barcelona (never have been there) and I'm sure things will not be the same. It is really sad and outrageous what is happening everywhere in the world and the words of condolence to all those impacted just seem hollow. How many times do we have to grieve for those killed and injured? You roll the dice every day just going out in the world, I guess.

Edited by andrea802
Typo

We are on the cruise ending in Barcelona on September 8th. Our second visit to Barcelona, this time spending 4 days at a hotel less than a half Km from where the van ended up. We have concerns but will not change our plans. The best way to defeat the terrorist attacks is to ignore them and go on with your lives. This is not to avoid acknowledging those who die or injuried who deserve to be call unexpected hero's.

Terrible news. We travel a loa as do most of the folks on this board and I just counted up our exposure. We have been, physically, at exactly the same location as five of these terrorist attacks on tourist areas in Europe. Barcelona, Nice, Istanbul and two in London. Obviously the statistical risk in low but it does make you think.

Nevertheless, we will keep on traveling but perhaps a bit more cautiously.

Robbie

Over 35 years of traveling all over the globe there have been 4 vacations that have been impacted by terrorism attacks somewhere amongst the places on our itinerary. But this does not stop us from traveling. Agree wit others that Barcelona will be a safe protected place to be for the next few months.

We are on the cruise ending in Barcelona on September 8th. Our second visit to Barcelona, this time spending 4 days at a hotel less than a half Km from where the van ended up. We have concerns but will not change our plans. The best way to defeat the terrorist attacks is to ignore them and go on with your lives. This is not to avoid acknowledging those who die or injuried who deserve to be call unexpected hero's.

Agree with you 100%!!!!

For those of you that are unaware of this horrendous attack, I cannot imagine where you get your news from. It was front page headlines in newspapers, headlines on CNN and on local news channels. My heart goes out to the victims and their families.

Travel, I think you misread the last two posts. I haven't seen any comments about foiled attacks in Mallorca and Canary Islands either. But it's been hard to miss the Spanish attacks on 8/17 and 8/18 and I don't think the last two posters did either.

Thanks, Lyn. I'm delighted to hear they were prevented!

We're to be in Barcelona and Mallorca in November, and Nice in April. We'll just be careful ... as we always are these days.

I remember we were in a small town museum in France about six months after 9/11 and the concierge asked us if we were frightened (he knew we were New Yorkers) and we said no. And from what I have seen, Europeans have reacted in the same way. You cannot just shut yourself up in your apartment.

Mura

Yes,sorry.It was a spokesperson for the security services in UK,on BBC TV, who was speaking about this years prevented terrorist attacks in Europe.

He was also speaking of anti terrorism police work and commending the British public in their continual help against attacks in the UK.

We are all extremely lucky,wherever we live or travel,to have such highly skilled officers and officials working hard to keep us safe.

Thanks, Lyn. I'm delighted to hear they were prevented!

We're to be in Barcelona and Mallorca in November, and Nice in April. We'll just be careful ... as we always are these days.

I remember we were in a small town museum in France about six months after 9/11 and the concierge asked us if we were frightened (he knew we were New Yorkers) and we said no. And from what I have seen, Europeans have reacted in the same way. You cannot just shut yourself up in your apartment.

How very true - keep on travelling, but....when we were in Barcelona last fall in the old part of the city we were taking pictures of the old buildings when we were rudely confronted by a local (Arabic person) who screamed at us not to take pics of the building, we complied, but I have always wondered about this chance encounter - since all our previous experiences in Barcelona have been great. We will be there again in September since we enjoy the city so much and that is where Sirena departs from - we will be more attentive to the surroundings we are in, but will once again go to old Barcelona. It is too much fun to bypass and silly to be put off by nutcase terrorists and by September Barcelona may need more tourists we will be there with our sympathy for those killed and injured and joy for a marvellous metropolis.:p

I have a friend who lives in Mallorca, so I wrote to her last night to ask her about the threatened Inca attack. Here is her answer:

Thanks for forwarding the link, Mura. Wow, that IS scary and perhaps even more scary is that the local press hasn't included anything about it …. unless we missed getting a paper on the relevant day. As you know, we're only about 10km from Inca and I frequently do walk across that central square, although not on Thursdays because that's market day and the busiest it gets. Of course, that would be any terrorist's first choice as the place is packed with tourists. As for us, Inca on Thursdays is a no-go area as parking is impossible and so is trying to get anything done.

What a world we have to live in! It would be hard to imagine a more peaceful quiet existence than our own here in rural Mallorca. Yet even we have to live with a potential threat just a few miles from home. But, as you say, there's no point in getting worried, since it can happen anywhere any time and we can only hope that we're not in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Thank you Mura for posting this and of course I meant news for Mallorca and Canaries not Barcelona.

Our news has very little to do with world affairs. CNN now is mostly a station that reports on the deeds or misdeeds of Trump. It really ignores the rest of the world as if there is NOTHING going on. The rest of the world is asleep. Or insults all of us by making us feel that there is nothing of importance going on elsewhere.

Actually yesterday there was a muslim terrorist attack on FEMALES only in Finland - about an hr from Helskini. Finland now has elevated security. Did not see this mentioned on CNN (as noted above) but I noted it on the BBC (thanks BBC for actually reporting world events). The loser was from Morrocco.

It was noted in Canadian newspapers today with less details given the time change and publishing deadlines.

Apparently this is the first muslim/islamic terrorist attack in Finland.

The port security has been increased

Sigh

This attack was reported in the NY Times this morning (Saturday, 8/19) but at the time it hadn't been determined if this was a terror attack or some nut job. But I hadn't seen that the perp only went after women.

Thank you Mura for posting this and of course I meant news for Mallorca and Canaries not Barcelona.

Our news has very little to do with world affairs. CNN now is mostly a station that reports on the deeds or misdeeds of Trump. It really ignores the rest of the world as if there is NOTHING going on. The rest of the world is asleep. Or insults all of us by making us feel that there is nothing of importance going on elsewhere.

Yup, CNN used to be the go to network for the most important international news. Now it is the GO AWAY network. Too bad. :(:(

Yup, CNN used to be the go to network for the most important international news. Now it is the GO AWAY network. Too bad. :(:(

Vive la difference :D

Thank goodness we all have choices - that is what freedom is all about and we need to protect it.

Edited by Paulchili