Escape to Jost Van Dyke through NCL

TonyFred

We did this excursion last year and loved it. We are going back to Tortola on the Escape this October but so far NCL does not have this excursion listed. We are 110 days out. Does anyone know if NCL is still doing this one and if so, when will it become available to book? Prettiest place I have ever been.

Can't help with your NCL question, but just wanted to comment on your last comment. White Bay is very nice and is a great spot to have drinks and watch the daytrippers come and go. If this excursion does not appear on your itinerary, the beaches of Tortola are also gorgeous and you can choose between a busier vibe at Cane Garden Bay that's similar to White Bay, or a few quieter beaches with just 1 beach bar.

You can also ferry to Jost if so inclined, figure about 1 hr each way to WB, and for 2 or more ppl about $50pp roundtrip.

Good luck! :)

I think it depends on how long the ship is staying in Tortola. We also took the ship tour over and had a blast but we went later in the morning and were one of the last ones back on the ship. This is my opinion. I also am going on the Epic and it is not one of the tours to choose.....

janymac:p

I am going to Tortola on Regent in March, and they offer an "escape to Jost Van Dyke" excursion. The description says that you have to swim 30-50 feet from the boat to the shore. My question is, how do you deal with your "stuff", towels and anything else you need to get on the shore in a dry condition?

Thanks,

Bob

I am going to Tortola on Regent in March, and they offer an "escape to Jost Van Dyke" excursion. The description says that you have to swim 30-50 feet from the boat to the shore. My question is, how do you deal with your "stuff", towels and anything else you need to get on the shore in a dry condition?

Thanks,

Bob

When we took the excursion last year, they pulled in very close to the beach. There are drop down stairs on the boat. We were in calf deep water at the most. I could see issues if the water was rough and they couldnt get in as close. I would suggest carrying a waterproof beach bag, put everything in it and hold it over your head. But I dont think you will have any problems. It is a very calm area.

When we took the excursion last year, they pulled in very close to the beach. There are drop down stairs on the boat. We were in calf deep water at the most. I could see issues if the water was rough and they couldnt get in as close. I would suggest carrying a waterproof beach bag, put everything in it and hold it over your head. But I dont think you will have any problems. It is a very calm area.

Depends on the sea conditions as well as how many boats are moored in the bay close to the shore. Most operators will dinghy you in or at least your stuff while you swim in.

Soggy $ Bar is aptly named! :p

Thank you for your info, sounds like a fun day!

I'm sailing in August and booked our escape to JVD excursion through NCL back in January. I'm afraid it may be sold out for you.

I booked the Escape back in December for this October. The excursion has never been available. I sent an email to the tour operator with the Rebel Yell boat about 2 weeks ago. No response.

I booked the Escape back in December for this October. The excursion has never been available. I sent an email to the tour operator with the Rebel Yell boat about 2 weeks ago. No response.

oh that's odd! I wonder if Rebel Yell takes a vacation in October or something!?!?! That's really weird. I know as soon as it showed up for me I booked.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm on the Escape in November and have been waiting FOREVER for this excursion. It JUST appeared late tonight/last night/this morning and I am 93 days out.

Yes, the JVD NCL excursion finally appeared yesterday for booking for the date we are there--11/02 of this year. I immediately booked it.

I'm guessing they were negotiating new rates for the next year before releasing it for booking. It also appeared for our NYE Escape sailing last week. Its tempting, but we're probably doing the Baths on our own.

Is this excursion really that good?

$109 catamaran ride to Jost van Dyke for an hour of beach/bar time?

What is it that makes everyone love it?

Thanks,

Kathy

Where did you get the hour of beach time? The excursion is 5 hours, with maybe a 45 minute ride each way. You get about 3 hours on the beach. Might not be worth it to you but is sure is to me.

Where did you get the hour of beach time? The excursion is 5 hours, with maybe a 45 minute ride each way. You get about 3 hours on the beach. Might not be worth it to you but is sure is to me.

Agree 100%

We are doing this in Oct.

Thanks Tony for the info! We love catamarans and beaches. When I was searching thru the excursions I confused the times. Looks like the kind of day we love. We booked it as did 3 of our friends for our Sept 3rd Escape cruise. Looking forward to it!

Thanks!!

Kathy

Thanks Tony for the info! We love catamarans and beaches. When I was searching thru the excursions I confused the times. Looks like the kind of day we love. We booked it as did 3 of our friends for our Sept 3rd Escape cruise. Looking forward to it!

Thanks!!

Kathy

I have been to a lot of beaches. I am not a beach nut by any means. I dont like rocks, seaweed etc. This was by far the most beautiful beach I have ever seen. No rocks. White sand. Crystal clear water. Very peaceful. Not that many people there.

Be sure and try the Painkillers at the Soggy Dollar Bar. A couple of those and you really will be in paradise. We booked the same itinerary just to get back to Jost Van Dyke.

We stay on Tortola and love gorgeous beaches and we'll visit Jost occasionally to enjoy Foxy's tales at his place inGreat Harbor, or his son Sedry's tricks at his One Love Bar in White Bay. White Bay is a nice, white sand beach, but there are nicer beaches on Tortola. It's the beach bar experience at WB along with the beach that is reason to go there, at least in our humble opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone confirm the vendors on the island take US Dollars. I assume they do, but just want to be prepared to pay for my Painkillers, which I've heard are awesome!

Thanks,

Susan

Update: I just googled is and the currency of BVI is the USD.

Edited by stp108

Can someone confirm the vendors on the island take US Dollars. I assume they do, but just want to be prepared to pay for my Painkillers, which I've heard are awesome!

Thanks,

Susan

Update: I just googled is and the currency of BVI is the USD.

Yes...

Sorry, typo above, that should be Seddy...he makes a great Bushwacker.

Edited by blue_water