idea's what to do.

Jenna2407

Hi

We are docking in tortola as part of our cruise. We have never cruised before and are a bit nervous.

We were going to do all our exc with NCL, however we decided in tortola we would do it once we are off this ship, with an outside vendor.

We did want to do the virgin baths, but after researching them, they don't really seem our cup of tea.

Me and my husband are very interested in snorkelling so would maybe like an easy to get to beach with snorkelling off the shore? We are also going with my dad and his wife and they are happy to go along with us.

So could you all give us some idea's and then I will research them all. Also are taxis easy to get/ cheap?

We seem to only have half a day, docking at 7am and leaving at 2pm (what time would we need to be back on the ship?)

Thankyou :)

Hi Jenna,

Glad that you are taking your first cruise and hope you are amazed at the experiences, both on the ship and at your destination ports!

Yes in most destinations taking an excursion through the cruise line is more costly and usually less enjoyable because you are pegged to a larger group with different interests. There are usually also queue times when getting off the ship and waiting for others in the group. Don’t get me wrong, we’ve taken excursions through the ship that were some of our favorite excursions, but they were only available through the ship. But St Thomas and Tortola are two examples of islands that are very easy to do on your own, and you have more freedom and flexibility going on your own. Just watch your time. Back on board time is one hour before departure, but most folks who are enjoying their time on the island make sure they are back on board ½ hr before departure.

For Tortola, it is unfortunate that your time in port is so short as the island is gorgeous. The typical port time for NCL is 7 – 3 so it’s an early day as well. For the best off-the-beach snorkeling Brewers Bay would be your best choice. Just locate a taxi at the dock that is heading there, the fare is about $8pp each way. Many safari taxis will be taking folks to Cane Garden Bay which is a larger bay that is home to several beach bars but is not a good snorkeling choice. But you will find a driver to take you to Brewers, and the girls at the visitor center can also help if you need that. There is one beach bar at Brewers, Nicole’s, as well as restrooms. Not sure if there is snorkel gear rental, do you have your own gear?

The driver will coordinate a return time to bring you back to the port. If you have any extra time there are some nice little shops near the cruise dock, one in particular we like is Sunny Caribbee, a nice little spice and rub shop.

The Baths is something that I would recommend, however it’s not as enjoyable when there are larger groups there.

Have a great cruise!

Thankyou so much. I looked uo that beach, and it is exactly what we are looking for! I have also posted in the st thomas forum, i was planning on doing a NCL exc to swim with the turtles and then go to honeymoon beach. Would I be able ti arrange that, at the port- or am I best booking with NCL?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Forums mobile app