Things people do that make it obvious they are cruise virgins

acesgame

I plan on making a door decoration warning my fellow passengers that we are cruise novices (thought virgin might be a problem for some travelers) and might be caught ...

Taking too many pictures

Hoarding towel animals

having too much luggage etc.

Please help me add to the list things that scream first cruise! Please keep it clean.

I plan on making a door decoration warning my fellow passengers that we are cruise novices (thought virgin might be a problem for some travelers) and might be caught ...

Taking too many pictures

Hoarding towel animals

having too much luggage etc.

Please help me add to the list things that scream first cruise! Please keep it clean.

Participating in every single activity available

Eating every meal and then some!

Having just got back from my first cruise, I certainly walked around with a big grin on my face way too much, and kept saying things like "I can't believe how big the ship is!" Or, "where's my cabin again? I thought it was right over here..." I'm pretty sure I seemed like a newbie when we barely made it back to the ship in Costa Maya - "you mean they really leave when they say they will?" What can I say - I got sidetracked by the Tequila Museum and Tasting room:D.

Perhaps that is a virgin mistake as well?

• Like 2

It's your first cruise when you like everything, while the 'Olde Salts' don't.

john

Perfect - that's how I felt!

So 800 pictures in a week isn't normal?

I LOVED the Master Chefs Dinner (HAL)!!!

When I was up at 5:00AM on the first morning after setting sail - just to look around.

I shot an hour of video - of nothing but the wake!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Waiting for the check at the end of a meal that is included in your package

or

running to the meeting point of the emergency drill with the lifejacket already on while timing your way down and asking if you made it in time ...

On our last cruise we had a lot of "virgin cruisers" with us and all we heard for the first few hours was "OH MY GOSH the ship is huge". "They have how many bars in it, lets hit them all!!!!!":D

My DH and I just laughed and enjoyed all the comments since we are the "Old Salts" as some one had already posted.:cool:

Complaining to the purser's desk that you don't like your balcony view of the port - BEFORE the ship has left port.

Leaving your luggage out on the floor of your cabin because you don't know where to put it. (Psst: those suitcases go under the bed! Our tablemates on our and their first cruise didn't know that - they were struggling to get around the cabin until I explained to them what to do with the suitcases! LOL!)

Flushing the toilet while sitting on it or without closing the lid.

Complaining about taking cold showers - there's a little red button you push to adjust the temperature of the water in most cruise ship showers - but I once met a couple who didn't know that. They actually thought that the cruise ship only had cold water showers and that was it. LOL!

Not bringing Antivert, Transderm Scops or other effective anti-seasickness medicine.

Wearing your life jacket from your stateroom to lifeboat drill.

Going to breakfast in your PJ's or bathrobe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've been on 12 cruises and I swear that the instructions are to put your life jacket on, and then proceed quickly and safely to your muster station...not drag the jacket along behind you so the pax behind you trip on the straps...

I've been on 12 cruises and I swear that the instructions are to put your life jacket on, and then proceed quickly and safely to your muster station...not drag the jacket along behind you so the pax behind you trip on the straps...

On one cruise, after life boat drill, a 'Sweet Young Thing' still correctly clad in her life jacket, came up to me and asked, 'Will you please tell me what my cabin number is?':D

john

Wearing their cruise card on a lanyard around their neck.

lol...we do that for convenience....:cool: doesn't automatically flag you as a newbie.

might have something to do with the fact that we're used to it because our job id's are on a lanyard too...

and I don't usually have pockets in what I'm wearing. :D

• Like 5

Perhaps this all depends on which cruiseline you are on. I have noticed variations.

We've been on more than 20 cruises and what we have always been told is to bring the life jacket to the lifeboat drill and then they will "instruct" us in how to put the life jacket on - it's usually part of the drill. As if adults couldn't figure that out for themselves! LOL! It kind of reminds me of the ridiculous instructions on airplanes about how to buckle and unbuckle your seat belt - as though none of the passengers has been in a car anytime in the last 30 - 40 years. LOL!

What I really hate is they usually want you to wear the life jackets back to the cabin, because if I do that, I cannot see my feet and consequently where I am stepping, which IMO is waaaaaay more dangerous than taking it off, securing the straps so they don't drag and carrying it back to the cabin in one hand, while holding onto the stair rail with the other hand.

However, things do seem to be improving. The BEST lifeboat drill I have ever done was in March 2010 on the Oasis of the Seas - you don't even have lifejackets in your cabin! You go to some pre-assigned public room on the ship, watch a video, and that's that! Apparently they keep the life jackets in some cupboard near your lifeboat station and the plan is to hand them out, if ever needed from there.

• 2 weeks later...

Getting stung with 'The Welcome Aboard Cocktail'..... you know that nice one many people think is free when the waiter with the tray of nice drinks approaches you prior to sailaway and your just finding you way round.

'Welcome Aboard Cocktail Mam / Sir'...... Oh yes please - how wonderful .... how nice ....... 'Sign here please Mam / Sir'...... ouch too late you've taken a large sip through the straw..... $6.95 plus tip ..... make that times 2 as your better half has done likewise.....

Edited by camNaud

Well I read the instructions about the drill and it said to bring your lifejacket and I was able to save my DH from looking silly. When we got the the drill and were asked to don the lifejackets, the poor woman in front of me put hers on inside out and upside down - seriously- and was trying to help a teenager put hers on. I pointed out the problem to her and she flipped it right side up but still had it backside inside out so I gently tapped her shoulder one more time...She told me not to wait for her to just go ahead and jump! Lol. It was cute.

I must admit I had a smile on my face most of the time but for that money I think I should!

• Like 1

When I go to the muster drill and the guy next to me is blowing on the whistle. :rolleyes: He gets a pained look on his face when I tell him I wonder how many other people have blown on that whistle. :eek:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1