Caveman Snorkeling Tour

UFLaw

We are considering using them for a tour from the Belize port.

Has anyone done the longer tour with them that takes 5 hours and goes to Hol Chan Marine Park? We are looking to do a private tour and they seem to be one of the best reviewed.

Also, in general what has anyone's experience been with them?

Thank you,

Eric

Hi UFLaw,

I just used Caveman Snorkelling for our trip in January. How long will your ship be in port for? The 5 hour tour might be a bit of a tight squeeze unless you have a lot of time in port. Do remember that Belize may be in a different time zone than the ship depending upon where you leave from. Also that it takes about an hour to get there and another to get back.

I'm happy to answer any question you have. I did pretty extensive research before going and we had a great day!

Edited by _beachgirl_

Im not the OP but I have read about taking a water taxi to get back to Belize City. Are you guaranteed on the water taxi? I have read about people (on Caye Caulker in general, not on this trip) had trouble getting a water taxi back due to them being full or off schedule, been a while since I read it and I can't remember the details. I am looking at trying to book a trip but this was one of my concerns. Thanks in advance!

Hi Kathy,

You do have to take a water taxi. We used Belize Water Taxi. http://www.belizewatertaxi.com

You can buy the tickets beforehand or at the dock. We waited until we got to the dock to buy ours. I'm don't think they are guaranteed and it was pretty full both times. On the way over to Caye Caulker it looked like a lot of people were going to work (uniforms) and on the way back it looked like a ton of travellers were picked up at other places and we were a stop so it was already crowded when we got on. I could definitely see how that could be a problem, though it wasn't a big deal for us. They just asked people to move over and squished everyone on.

There are 2 water taxi services that go to Caye Caulker. Also 2 airlines that run daily in case you get stuck.

• 1 year later...

Anything new I should know about this tour? About to book the 5 hour tour the first of May on Freedom. Not booking through Carnival. We are going to take the tour for just four people.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy using speech to text

• 1 month later...
Im not the OP but I have read about taking a water taxi to get back to Belize City. Are you guaranteed on the water taxi? I have read about people (on Caye Caulker in general, not on this trip) had trouble getting a water taxi back due to them being full or off schedule, been a while since I read it and I can't remember the details. I am looking at trying to book a trip but this was one of my concerns. Thanks in advance!

you guaranteed on the water taxi unless something happens.

So we booked with Caveman.Just use Caveman's website. They will give you all the links for the water taxis.You gain an hour while you are in their timezone.This helps tremendously.

Tell them you want to do the 5-Hour tour. And they will make sure that you get back on time. Even if it's 4 hours and 10 minutes or 4 hours and 30 minutes. They will make sure you see everything in your allotted time.

You are going from the ship by tender.Get onshore,and walk about 7to 8 minutes to the water taxis. Bring your prepaid printed receipt. Then you will sign for it and get on the taxi. Then you got a 45 minute boat ride to key Caulker.The ferry runs at 25mph.You will appreciate the breeze.It is incredibly hot there.

Once you get off the water taxi on Key Caulker. You are going to walk about 5 minutes up to Caveman Snorkeling. Caveman's name is Harrison. For the most part part he handles all the transactions online and plus you'll probably meet him while you're there.He is very polite.So don't hesitate to ask questions.

Whatever you do.Try to schedule with Skipper Ronnie and his first mate Allwin.These are a couple of very knowledgeable,polite and patient folks.We did a private tour.There was just 4 of us.So we avoided all the tourist boats with 30 people on-board. These guys are naturals in the water.Incredible free divers.If you have a Go Pro. Ronnie will take it and get great footage for you.They took us to swim with manatees,sharks,rays,sea turtles and reef fish.I recorded all of our tracks that day,on marine navigation software.We ran over 70 miles from the time we got off the ship and back on.I recommend get plenty of rest the night before.Its going to be a big day.

I have more info,if you have more questions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Forums mobile app

• 1 year later...
On 6/11/2017 at 3:20 PM, Spraygun said:

So we booked with Caveman.Just use Caveman's website. They will give you all the links for the water taxis.You gain an hour while you are in their timezone.This helps tremendously.

Tell them you want to do the 5-Hour tour. And they will make sure that you get back on time. Even if it's 4 hours and 10 minutes or 4 hours and 30 minutes. They will make sure you see everything in your allotted time.

You are going from the ship by tender.Get onshore,and walk about 7to 8 minutes to the water taxis. Bring your prepaid printed receipt. Then you will sign for it and get on the taxi. Then you got a 45 minute boat ride to key Caulker.The ferry runs at 25mph.You will appreciate the breeze.It is incredibly hot there.

Once you get off the water taxi on Key Caulker. You are going to walk about 5 minutes up to Caveman Snorkeling. Caveman's name is Harrison. For the most part part he handles all the transactions online and plus you'll probably meet him while you're there.He is very polite.So don't hesitate to ask questions.

Whatever you do.Try to schedule with Skipper Ronnie and his first mate Allwin.These are a couple of very knowledgeable,polite and patient folks.We did a private tour.There was just 4 of us.So we avoided all the tourist boats with 30 people on-board. These guys are naturals in the water.Incredible free divers.If you have a Go Pro. Ronnie will take it and get great footage for you.They took us to swim with manatees,sharks,rays,sea turtles and reef fish.I recorded all of our tracks that day,on marine navigation software.We ran over 70 miles from the time we got off the ship and back on.I recommend get plenty of rest the night before.Its going to be a big day.

I have more info,if you have more questions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Forums mobile app

Hi Spraygun,

im going to Belize on the carnival Conquest this July and discovered caveman’s website. This is something I really want to do since it seems provide everything I want to do and see snorkelling in Belize. 

I am in port from 8am - 5pm. Can I make the full day tour?

• 1 month later...

Can someone tell me if the water taxi is $25 a person each way? Also, how much did you tip. We are going in June and I paid for the 4 hour private tour but tried to switch to the 5 hour but haven’t heard back. Has anyone made the change and paid the difference in person?