Insurance - Caribbean - existing conditions

My Annual worldwide insurance needed renewing from September and a couple of issues came up.

Annual silver excluding America says he. No including America as I need it for Caribbean says I. Last year excluded says he. No says I we went to Caribbean.

I explained. The renewal said excluding, the health document you send separately said including so as one had to be wrong I sent an e-mail listing every country from landing in Jamaica, and asked for confirmation as to whether we were included for cover, and I kept the copy of the reply where a lady listed every country and confirmed including.

I said it I was now worried if I had been covered if I had made a claim, probably with that e-mail says he. Probably says I. Depends on the person adjudicating but good job you kept the e-mail.

Health - last year when asked if cholesterol had ever risen, I said not while I have been on tablets. Is that yes or no says he. Well no then says I. This year when asked I said not while I have been on tablets. The word is EVER madam. Since you were born, in your lifetime, has your cholesterol ever risen. Well says I it must have gone up to put me on tablets. Is that yes or no says he. Well it must be yes then says I.

Result a higher premium. Still lower than the £400+ required by Age UK and Staysure that I checked the same info with before renewing with Insure & Go.

My Annual worldwide insurance needed renewing from September and a couple of issues came up.

Annual silver excluding America says he. No including America as I need it for Caribbean says I. Last year excluded says he. No says I we went to Caribbean.

I explained. The renewal said excluding, the health document you send separately said including so as one had to be wrong I sent an e-mail listing every country from landing in Jamaica, and asked for confirmation as to whether we were included for cover, and I kept the copy of the reply where a lady listed every country and confirmed including.

I said it I was now worried if I had been covered if I had made a claim, probably with that e-mail says he. Probably says I. Depends on the person adjudicating but good job you kept the e-mail.

Health - last year when asked if cholesterol had ever risen, I said not while I have been on tablets. Is that yes or no says he. Well no then says I. This year when asked I said not while I have been on tablets. The word is EVER madam. Since you were born, in your lifetime, has your cholesterol ever risen. Well says I it must have gone up to put me on tablets. Is that yes or no says he. Well it must be yes then says I.

Result a higher premium. Still lower than the £400+ required by Age UK and Staysure that I checked the same info with before renewing with Insure & Go.

It's a minefield, Gill, which we are just approaching. DH needs to get new travel insurance next month as he has reached the cut off age for his free bank insurance. I spent half an hour on the phone the other day, just adding minor ailments to mine (no charge), then when I printed off the new policy, realised I had forgotten to declare some prescription medicine. Will have to phone back. :(

And how we are struggling!!!

Up to this year the insurance companies RELUCTANTLY covered Hubbys bad Heart. 6 weeks ago he had a Cardiac Arrest resulting in 3 weks hospitalisation and an in Heart Defibrillator Impant. Now we cannot get cover for him with any company.

What do we do????? Just stay here in Spain or risk travelling without insurance? Its a nightmare.

And how we are struggling!!!

Up to this year the insurance companies RELUCTANTLY covered Hubbys bad Heart. 6 weeks ago he had a Cardiac Arrest resulting in 3 weks hospitalisation and an in Heart Defibrillator Impant. Now we cannot get cover for him with any company.

What do we do????? Just stay here in Spain or risk travelling without insurance? Its a nightmare.

Do not risk travelling without insurance under any circumstances.

I'm sure I don't have to explain the worst case scenarios that could arise.

Do not risk travelling without insurance under any circumstances.

I'm sure I don't have to explain the worst case scenarios that could arise.

Of course you are right.

Thank goodness we have just found a company that will insure Ian - even though the insurance will cost nearly as much as the holiday.

Of course you are right.

Thank goodness we have just found a company that will insure Ian - even though the insurance will cost nearly as much as the holiday.

So pleased for you that you can carry on cruising. Insurance really is a minefield, but so necessary. I hate questions that MUST be yes or no. No middle ground.

Gill

I hate those 'Have you ever?' questions. My husband is diabetic and as his cholesterol was in the upper end of normal his GPS prescribed a statin. He no longer takes it due to side effects, his cholesterol remains within normal range. Then we get asked 'Have you ever been advised to take medication to reduce your cholesterol.?' and no leeway to explain.

I hate those 'Have you ever?' questions. My husband is diabetic and as his cholesterol was in the upper end of normal his GPS prescribed a statin. He no longer takes it due to side effects, his cholesterol remains within normal range. Then we get asked 'Have you ever been advised to take medication to reduce your cholesterol.?' and no leeway to explain.

That was what frustrated me so much. You must say yes or no. Getting repeated to me all the time. Have you EVER in your life since birth.... Ever means ever ..... and making me feel like a criminal for wanting to explain that the tablets had kept my cholesterol down. At least I won't get badgered now for 12 months.

Cholesterol and Blood Pressure go up and down all the time - fact of life! Doctors are making perfectly normal people into "sick" people. Could it be all the perks they get off the drug companies? :rolleyes:

Oh don't get me started on statins- dreadful things, should be banned!! :rolleyes:

Awful things. First time my husband was put on one his liver began playing up. This time his diabetes went haywire and the GP wanted to put him on a different drug for that. He read the leaflet in the box, stopped the statin and felt 1000 times better. The doctor took quite some convincing though.

Awful things. First time my husband was put on one his liver began playing up. This time his diabetes went haywire and the GP wanted to put him on a different drug for that. He read the leaflet in the box, stopped the statin and felt 1000 times better. The doctor took quite some convincing though.
Glad someone else feels like me. Cholesterol is good for you, heals you. Read Malcolm Kendrick's books :)