Hotels amsterdam and budapest

dcruisers

We will be doing the Grand European cruise next year. We plan on going a couple of days prior to cruise and staying a couple of days after the cruise. We would appreciate information on hotels in Amsterdam and Budapest from our CC friends. We haven't been to either city so we don't know what location would be better or which hotel to chose. I think we would prefer something that is more updated....but are open minded!

I appreciate and welcome all input. Thank you!

We stayed at the Intercontinental in Budapest, its right on the Danube with fantastic views of the Royal Palace for 3 nights prior to our river cruise in august, would definitely recommend it, staff were fantastic, room we had was large with magnificent views. We booked online and got a great rate. It was so easy to walk to most places from there, including across the Chain Bridge.

In Amsterdam at the end of the cruise we stayed at the Ibis Centraal, its only 3 star, but was walking distance from the cruise docking area, right next door to Centraal station, tram stop was 1 min walk, very easy walking to most of the city sights. The breakfast was good with plenty ofchoice, rooms were basic, very clean and comfotable. We wojldstay here again, we also booked this online.

We stayed in Amsterdam near Centraal train station at the Barbizon Palace hotel ...we bid on Priceline & that is what we got $101 USD good location

Last trip we bid & got the Movenpick it is closer to the Ocean cruise terminal & a short walk to River cruise docks

In Budapest we shared a 2 bedroom Apt with our friends that we were with

Marriott Millennium Court Apt a few steps from the Vaci Utca & the river

we walked to the Central Market lots of shops & restaurants right near the hotel

We are doing Bucharest --> Budapest next April on Viking - and extended one day in Budapest at the end.

We have tentatively booked the Carat Boutique Hotel for the extra night - prime consideration was location... We are booked into Le Meridien for 2 nights with Viking at the end of the cruise - and so looked for somewhere close. to that. Price was too high to book the 3rd night there.

Booked with the option to cancel, as Viking uses more than 1 hotel in Budapest, and would not confirm before next year.

Have not stayed there yet - but the pictures on the hotel website look good - and it is very central.

Fran

We did a three month tour through Europe last year which included an Amsterdam to Budapest river cruise with Tauck (beautiful!). We already had a rental car as we had been touring northern France so we found it easier just to leave our car and stay out near the airport (I really hate driving in the center of European cities). It was much cheaper than staying in the center and it was only a short train trip into the city, and it made it easier when we flew back from Budapest to pick up our car. We booked through these guys; http://www.parken-und-fliegen.de

On our recent Amsterdam to Budapest cruise, we spent 3 extra nights in Amsterdam at the Doubletree by Hilton (formerly The Mint) which is next door to the train station and a 5 min. walk to the ship. We found booking through Expedia was cheaper than booking direct. Very comfortable room overlooking the water but also the rail line so a bit noisy. An upgrade to the city view room would have been quieter. Very well located and easy to walk everywhere. In Budapest we stayed at the Starlight Suiten hotel right behind Gresham Palace so right in the middle of the downtown, close to the river, shops, metro etc. This hotel has very large principal room and a large bedroom and bathroom. Had microwave, fridge etc. so good for making light meals. Also got a deal through Expedia. Highly recommend either.

The Hilton in Budapest, on the Buda side, has a great view and, if you spring for the "concierge" floor, you have access to food all day long. Sometimes, we just had drinks and nibbles at the end of the day and didn't even have to go out for dinner:) I also visited the Marriott on the Pest side, where my daughter was staying and it had an excellent location. Enjoy the great city!

We have stayed twice in Budapest at the start of a cruise--once at the Parliment, a lovely Best Western and once at the Marriott Millenium apts. The apts. are more central and quite close to the river. There are more restaurants near the apts. In Amsterdam, we stayed at the Renaissance not far from the Centraal Station--right near a tram line and plenty of restaurants nearby. Am jealous--those are 2 cities we really enjoy. Pat

We stayed at the Marriott in Budapest, it is right on the river and we had wonderful views of the bridges at night..good service, very comfortable rooms and central for all the walking that we did.

we also stayed at the Marriott in Amsterdam, it was only for one night and was not very well situated we thought but we were there for such a short time this time that it didn't matter.

Just back from Budapest and a wonderful stay at Marriott Millennium Apartments. What a perfect location and wonderful value!

We spent three days there and appreciated the amenities, staff and extra space. Really great to be able to do laundry before we boarded the ship as well.

We visited a number of hotels while there and while some were definitely more luxurious, we would choose the same for next visit.

In Amsterdam, we used Priceline and stayed at Hotel Bilderberg. We do not care for the tourist center of this city, and find it to be quite crowded and dirty. We enjoyed the more green, residential feel of this hotel and it was well located near the tram line so convenient.

We loved the Intercontinental Hotel in Budapest on Pest side of Danube, perfectly situated on the river and for 25E upgrade got a room facing the Buda side of the river. Excellent Breakfast Buffet. The illumination at night was perfect and well worth the room upgrade for us to face the river. Easy walking distance to the Vaci Uti, Shoes on the Danube Memorial and to be able to walk across the Chain Bridge to the Buda side Castle District. Also convenient walk to St. Stephens Church and our favorite restaurant in Budapest which was Cafe Kor. Has the best Schnitzel so far of all the restaurants in Germany and Austria that we have tried Schnitzel.

In Amsterdam, we stayed at Hotel Fita which has good reviews on Trip Advisor. Small, clean, family run in a quiet neighborhood near the museums. Excellent breakfast included too!

Just back from Budapest and a wonderful stay at Marriott Millennium Apartments. What a perfect location and wonderful value!

We spent three days there and appreciated the amenities, staff and extra space. Really great to be able to do laundry before we boarded the ship as well.

Isn't that a perfect location

We got a 2 bedroom on the top floor facing the river & across from the laundry room ...just wish I had some laundry to do ;)

If we go back I will stay there again

lyn

We stayed at the Marriott in Budapest, it is right on the river and we had wonderful views of the bridges at night..good service, very comfortable rooms and central for all the walking that we did.

we also stayed at the Marriott in Amsterdam, it was only for one night and was not very well situated we thought but we were there for such a short time this time that it didn't matter.

We loved the Marriott in BUD due to easy accessibility to, virtually, everything and, as mentioned, right on the river.

We also stayed at the AMS Marriott but I have to say I do disagree a bit with comments about AMS Marriott location. It is very near the museums, concert hall, canal cruise choices and a vibrant shopping/eating/drinking area within a block or two. It is also near the free hop on-hop off jittany which took us to the Anne Frank House and back...other locations were easily, and cheaply, accessible by taxi. IMHO this is located well for the tourist.

We stayed at the Marriott Hotel right on the Danube last Sat (Dec 1). We loved the room, views, proximity to the Christmas Market & the breakfast.

However, after we checked out at 10 am & settled the bill, another charge was added to our account. Someone incurred a $40. charge in the restaurant at 2pm. They sent me a copy of the bill & the room number is indistinguishable & the signature is not mine. Their reply is curt, that they will do me the favor of removing the charge (they have NOT yet). but no apology & implication that I am "getting away with something"

I am very surprised by this. I thought that when you settled a bill with a hotel & left the city the account was final. I surely expected a more gracious reply from Marriott.

We stayed at the Marriott Hotel right on the Danube last Sat (Dec 1). We loved the room, views, proximity to the Christmas Market & the breakfast.

However, after we checked out at 10 am & settled the bill, another charge was added to our account. Someone incurred a $40. charge in the restaurant at 2pm. They sent me a copy of the bill & the room number is indistinguishable & the signature is not mine. Their reply is curt, that they will do me the favor of removing the charge (they have NOT yet). but no apology & implication that I am "getting away with something"

I am very surprised by this. I thought that when you settled a bill with a hotel & left the city the account was final. I surely expected a more gracious reply from Marriott.

If they continue to drag their feet, I would touch base with the corporate/head office. Am sure they would not be pleased.

Fran

Thanks so much for all the information. Since Viking charges so much for pre and post cruise hotels, we want to do our own. I didn't think about using Priceline or Expedia..so that is very helpful. I have bid on Priceline ...for our upcoming HI cruise..and got a good hotel for a good price! So, that may be the way we go. Now I will spend time reviewing the hotels mentioned and choose one for each.

Again, thanks fellow CC cruisers for always being so helpful.

• 2 weeks later...
One more question....in Budapest...it is preferred to stay in Buda or Pest?

I noticed on Priceline/betterbidding there were more hotels mentioned for Pest.

Thanks again!

Pest seems to be the preferred side ..more walkable & easy to get to the Buda side where the Castle is

Check out the Marriott Millennium Court Apts very nice & close to shops/restaurants

Enjoy

However, after we checked out at 10 am & settled the bill, another charge was added to our account. Someone incurred a $40. charge in the restaurant at 2pm. They sent me a copy of the bill & the room number is indistinguishable & the signature is not mine. Their reply is curt, that they will do me the favor of removing the charge (they have NOT yet). but no apology & implication that I am "getting away with something".

Just curious... was the charge for the meal ever corrected?

Fran

Hi Fran,

Thanks for thinking of me. Just got back yesterday, we spent an extra week in Prague after the cruise. Marvelous but so cold (especially for us Californians)

The Marriott reversed the charge on day #5 after I disputed the charge, but I find that I am still perturbed that they accessed my credit card so easily and without reasonably checking that it was me.

I am planning to report this to the head office just for my peace of mind.

Hi Fran,

Thanks for thinking of me. Just got back yesterday, we spent an extra week in Prague after the cruise. Marvelous but so cold (especially for us Californians)

The Marriott reversed the charge on day #5 after I disputed the charge, but I find that I am still perturbed that they accessed my credit card so easily and without reasonably checking that it was me.

I am planning to report this to the head office just for my peace of mind.

I think it is important to report it... this may be an isolated incident... or not. They should know.

Glad you had some extra time in Prague. We loved it when we were there in 2009. We went in October - and it turned so cold I had to buy a warmer coat while we were there!! We were lucky to find a pub with a fireplace (and a roaring fire!!) so we could warm up a bit before venturing back outside...

Fran

Archived