Which camera to buy?

A little update. Did research yesterday and this morning. Read reviews and watched videos of the cameras suggested.

And then I went to the store and held some of them in my hands. Nothing happened until I picked up the Nikon D3300. It just clicked and I had a crush. It felt just perfect, like it was made for me. I don't know if a camera is supposed to do that. The size is perfect and so is the weight. And so many options like filters, lenses I found online. WOW, just WOW! I am pretty sure that's gonna be my next companion. Now I can wait for a great sale.

Thank you so much to everyone for your help, suggestions. You made this much easier. Great Sunday to everyone.

Cindy

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

The subjective feel in your hands is very important. So congratulation on your decision. Be assured, the d3300 can equal any aps-c camera in image quality. Before you make your purchase though, I would consider one thing that may be totally irrelevant to you. The d3300 cannot do auto exposure bracketing. This may be completely totally irrelevant to you, in which case you're fine. But if you want to do your own HDR shots, then you will want a camera with bracketing.

Again, the d3300 can match the image quality of the a6000, the d7200, or any other aps-c camera. You're not sacrificing image quality by going entry level. Just make sure you're not sacrificing any features that may be important to you at some point.

The subjective feel in your hands is very important. So congratulation on your decision. Be assured, the d3300 can equal any aps-c camera in image quality. Before you make your purchase though, I would consider one thing that may be totally irrelevant to you. The d3300 cannot do auto exposure bracketing. This may be completely totally irrelevant to you, in which case you're fine. But if you want to do your own HDR shots, then you will want a camera with bracketing.

Again, the d3300 can match the image quality of the a6000, the d7200, or any other aps-c camera. You're not sacrificing image quality by going entry level. Just make sure you're not sacrificing any features that may be important to you at some point.

Yes, I know about the bracketing. Heard it in a review on youtube. I had no idea, and still haven't got a clue what it is, so I guess it's not important to me :D

Don't want anything to difficult. D3300 seems to be right in my league

Cibdy

And the d3300 is only 4 frames a second versus 11 for the A6000

Don't plan on shooting action, so 5 seems to be enough. The coolpix I have now, shoots one pic every 5 seconds :p. Seems to be a huge improvement.

Cindy

A little update. Did research yesterday and this morning. Read reviews and watched videos of the cameras suggested.

And then I went to the store and held some of them in my hands. Nothing happened until I picked up the Nikon D3300. It just clicked and I had a crush. It felt just perfect, like it was made for me. I don't know if a camera is supposed to do that. The size is perfect and so is the weight. And so many options like filters, lenses I found online. WOW, just WOW! I am pretty sure that's gonna be my next companion. Now I can wait for a great sale.

Thank you so much to everyone for your help, suggestions. You made this much easier. Great Sunday to everyone.

Cindy

Congrats! Handling and ergonomics are the most important things.

Some sing of camera x versus y for specs but a camera you aren't comfortable shooting, nor can shoot quickly is of little use as it will stay at home or in the bag more often than not. Here the brick and mortar stores are of value in allowing people to touch the product!

I have the d3300. It was our first serious camera and we have been very happy. You can get great improvements by upgrading the kit lens, I aim to buy the 35mm prime AF 1.8 G and then a light stick for indoor photography further down the line. That's the good thing about the d3300, it apparently is a great camera that has plenty more in the tank if you upgrade the lens later on.

Yes, I know about the bracketing. Heard it in a review on youtube. I had no idea, and still haven't got a clue what it is, so I guess it's not important to me :D

Don't want anything to difficult. D3300 seems to be right in my league

Cibdy

I love bracketing my Nikon's. First shot is 0 exposure, second is -1/3 exposure. The first for exposure and the second for detail preservation where the highlights are not overexposed. I double-tap my shots.

I have the d3300. It was our first serious camera and we have been very happy. You can get great improvements by upgrading the kit lens, I aim to buy the 35mm prime AF 1.8 G and then a light stick for indoor photography further down the line. That's the good thing about the d3300, it apparently is a great camera that has plenty more in the tank if you upgrade the lens later on.

I aim to buy the 50mm 1.8G and then a telephoto lens. Glad you like the d3300 :)

Cindy

I love bracketing my Nikon's. First shot is 0 exposure, second is -1/3 exposure. The first for exposure and the second for detail preservation where the highlights are not overexposed. I double-tap my shots.

This is why I don't need bracketing. I don't understand a word you're saying. Lol. I got a lot to learn about photography :D

Cindy

That's not exactly what is usually meant by bracketing. It's a very very rudimentary form.

You have white balance bracketing and exposure bracketing. White balance brackets multiple WB settings, which can be helpful when shooting jpeg. Not really much value when shooting raw.

More common is exposure bracketing. A 0 and -0.3 shot doesn't do much except give you a second image with toned down highlights.

My typical bracket is between 3 and 5 shots... My most common is:

-2, -1, 0, +1, +2.... and -1.4, -0.7, 0, +0.7, and +1.4. I then use those exposures to create an HDR shot.

Now, the post-processing software is pretty good -- as long as your shots are very very close to being aligned, the software can do the rest. If you have any significant misalignment, the software won't be able to help you much.

You can always manually bracket-- which is what you're doing with your 0 and -0.3. It can be effective on a tripod with a static scene. But if you are handholding, or there is even the slightest motion, then having to manually adjust the settings 5 different times... and tap the shutter 5 times... Leads to too much misalignment and motion.

Auto bracketing lets you fire off all 5 exposures automatically in under a second. (Well, depends on the burst rate of the camera).

15442070240_07b27b39c2_b.jpgKensico Reservoir, HDR by Adam Brown, on Flickr

8666288231_76878b6a21_b.jpgDay at Citi Field by Adam Brown, on Flickr

15969825422_81ec078917_b.jpgThe Sanctuary by Adam Brown, on Flickr

I couldn't have done these shots without auto bracketing.