Why do Princess charge a ridiculous price for infants?

small talk

Not happy!

We are (were) BIG Princess fans (Platinum members) but now our loyalty to the cruise line has probably ended when they quoted us £1282 for a 10-day Panama cruise with a 14-month-old. They charge the same price for a child of this age as they do for a much older child!

I cannot understand how they can justify this when such a small child is not going to be using the amenities in the same way as say a 10-year-old! We can't even leave our child in a kids programme for an hour when under the age of three so they are certainly not using the time and resources of one of the youth leaders. They don't care much for 5-course dinners and their food will consist of a small bowl full - so why the hike in price????

Even airlines cost differently for infants up to the age of 2 as they do not pay a fare (taxes and local charges - yes, but they are costed differently to a 3 year old +)

I am absolutely stunned - especially as they are supposed to be 'child friendly'. We will be looking again at cruises but not with Princess.

It's because price is not based on cost but on demand. Princess (and most other cruiselines) charge the same price for 3rd/4th passengers in a cabin because they can. Parents wanting to cruise with little ones will pay it. Also, your toddler is taking a space that might otherwise be filled by an adult 3rd/4th passenger who would pay that amount.

There are a few cruiselines (MSC?) that either do not charge for children or charge a reduced rate. And most land-based all inclusive resorts allow children to stay for free. One of those options might be worth exploring.

Thank you PescadoAmarillo. We will check them out.

We are NOT expecting them to go free but certainly at a much reduced rate than what we were quoted (£1282 for an infant yet £1962 for an adult - not much different).

Much as I love Princess, I agree this is a ridiculous charge.

An infant only gets a change of sheets in the cot now and again.

The parents do all the work.

It doesn`t leave a mess for the steward to clear up.

Hotels around the world only charge for the hire of a cot and any food taken.

Try P&O. They are much more child friendly.

Much as I love Princess, I agree this is a ridiculous charge.

An infant only gets a change of sheets in the cot now and again.

The parents do all the work.

It doesn`t leave a mess for the steward to clear up.

Hotels around the world only charge for the hire of a cot and any food taken.

Try P&O. They are much more child friendly.

I do agree about the food but I still think the cabin steward has as much work as there would be if an 3rd adult was occupying the cabin.

I don't have children and due feel sorry for those that do and are affected by Princess' pricing policy. It is however their right to do so since it's their company. Simply look for another company to use if Princess doesn't fit your needs.

Bob

Generally - kids are more difficult to clean up from. They usually make more of a mess at the dining room table, Horizon Court and there are diapers that need to be disposed of in the room. They also spend less on the ship such as no soda card, no video games, no purchases at the store. Princess losses when kids sail compared to a third adult in the room.

I believe the charge they are charging is justified.

I think I saw on the NCL threads that they were doing a "kids sail free" special - not sure if it's now or if it's coming up. Might want to ask or go to ncl.com.

its over. We booked the two grandkids with us to Bermuda for a week. you pay the NCF and taxes. Great deal. we had already booked this for ourselves previously. Our fare went up $30pp and we lost a $50 OBC....

NCL for children under 2 as third or more in the room traditionally charges taxes only. The two grandkids are over 2....under two they can't participate in the kids crew. Since the cruise lines almost all provide included kids crew(or what ever the cruise line calls it) most times and on most cruise lines even the full amount is justified IMO....

but a 10 year old isn't an infant. Some of them can eat as much as an adult...if not more. and some make a mess. Normally the cruise lines charge less for the third or more in the room. So what is your point? maybe they should charge you separately extra for kids crew after all if the third person is over 16 they won't use that either(I don't believe that the kids program makes it more enjoyable for everyone)

Charging for an infant is no more ridiculous than charging me 150-200%, depending on the cruise and cabin type, for cruising solo in the cabin. I choose to cruise on Princess and HAL so that's the cost of cruising. If I wanted to pay less for doing so on a different line, I wouldn't do it even if there were no single supplement.

Charging full price for an infant is no worse than charging a single person double like they do.

Us solo's are taking up the place of two persons according to them so an infant is taking up the place of an adult.... thus the full price charged!

Solo cruisers do not eat twice as much or make twice the mess... in fact I would guess we make less of a mess:D BUT we are charged for two persons fare. It is very wrong but that is just the way it is.

Charging full price for an infant is no worse than charging a single person double like they do.

Us solo's are taking up the place of two persons according to them so an infant is taking up the place of an adult.... thus the full price charged!

Solo cruisers do not eat twice as much or make twice the mess... in fact I would guess we make less of a mess:D BUT we are charged for two persons fare. It is very wrong but that is just the way it is.

I have no problems with the policy because we don't travel with children.

However, you and Pam make a really good point.

What a great analogy! No one can argue that Princess is not child-friendly by instituting the rule that children must pay full fare when they charge single adults 150-200%.

I wasn't even thinking about that policy when I first read the post.

We all can not have our pudding cake and eat it too gratis.

Nothing is free , really.

We all pay for what we use and /or consume.

Your allowed to shop as we have those freedoms still Maam.

I think what you MAY want is a Rolls and/or Bentley then want to pay for a Yugo or one of those horrible India CHEAP cars..

You do get what you pay for... the best shopper does costing and sources the buying out..

If the same item costs a few quid more so be it but is that what you want ?

Are you also a shareholder? The Child and you as Guardian?

This Shareholder Benefit of OBC, is a great one and the parent stock ( CCL/CUK :NYSE/LSE ) pays a dividend too.

The choices are yours Maam. Whatever you decide may you have a safe, healthy and happy holiday!:cool:

One thing to keep in mind is that the base fare is only part of the profit equation. infants are considerably less likely than adults to gamble or drink booze. (That's one of the reason Disney cruises are premium priced.) They're less likely, too, than older sibs to buy sodas, ice cream, souvenir T-shirts, or go on shore excursions. And, has been chewed over here before, some of us booze-drinking, gambling adults who gravitate to Princess in part because of the paucity of young kids. No-charge childen by the MSC boatload? No thanks.

You (presumably) chose to have a kid, and now are almost immediately schlepping it along on an expedition it probably neither understands nor appreciates, at least not any more than playing with its blankie. Sorry you feel peeved. On the other hand, I, happily childless by choice, have been underwriting other peoples' kids' schooling and family-oriented tax breaks for many years. And that's the way it is.

In this case, it is really important to note that ship capacity is not measured in terms of cabins, its measured in terms of what they call 'souls on board' which is the total number of employees and passengers (and even guides and pilots). This is based on the number of lifeboats available and other emergency considerations. Most ships could not permit every possible berth to be filled without being over cap.

For purposes of this count, an infant counts equally to the maximum capacity of the ship as an adult, i.e reduces total capacity by 1, therefore reducing the number of adults that can be sold at full fare.

Single passengers are affected for a different reason. Revenue calculations are based on an expectation of dual occupancy, since they can't sell the other berth, they charge more to keep the cabin average where they want it.

Are they playing it from both ends? Yep. But that's the way it works.

Last time I checked an infant is a human being. I discern no difference between infant versus 10-year-old versus adult. If you wish to cruise, good for you. If you don't want to pay the piper then you have choices to go on different types of vacations, maybe at a hotel where there won't be a charge for infants. I agree with Pam -- if she has to pay double as a single, why should your kid coast for free or an extremely reduced fare?

We had to pay double for my mom last month, but I didn't get the double credit applied to my account - she did. I guess, using OP's logic, I should fight to get the double credits added to MY shipboard account since we paid for mom.

Nope, ma'am -- life is not always fair regarding a fare.

And as for airlines, babies are only free if you hold them on your lap up to the age of two. In my family, we purchase the extra seat so that it will be a more comfortable journey.

I feel your pain. Last year I treated my 3 children, spouses and first grandchild to a cruise, figuring the baby would be free, since he was 5 months old at time of booking. Imagine my surprise when I had to pay full fare for him! It was almost a deal-breaker, but everyone had already arranged for vacation time.

I understand all the reasons the baby pays full 3rd person fare & I agree- I just had never considered it before. Not a fun surprise!:confused:

I hope you go and make some fun memories with your little one-- we sure did!

If small children and/or babies sailed for free, can you only imagine the Princess experience? 3500 passengers onboard and 1500 of them under the age of 5. The dining experience alone would be such a thrill. :eek:

I totally see why each berth onboard (1st or 2nd passenger rate, or 3rd or 4th passenger rate) is charged the same fare whether the passenger is 6 months or 100. ;)

If small children and/or babies sailed for free, can you only imagine the Princess experience? 3500 passengers onboard and 1500 of them under the age of 5. The dining experience alone would be such a thrill. :eek:

I totally see why each berth onboard (1st or 2nd passenger rate, or 3rd or 4th passenger rate) is charged the same fare whether the passenger is 6 months or 100. ;)

Yikes!!:eek:

On MSC, kids 17 and under just pay taxes in a room with 2 adults, but as mentioned - you get what you pay for.

Disney sometimes has a Kids Sail Free promo, but you'll pay more for Disney. NCL has their promos, as do Carnival, RCI, and HAL. You just have to watch for them!;)

Last time I checked an infant is a human being. I discern no difference between infant versus 10-year-old versus adult. If you wish to cruise, good for you. If you don't want to pay the piper then you have choices to go on different types of vacations, maybe at a hotel where there won't be a charge for infants. I agree with Pam -- if she has to pay double as a single, why should your kid coast for free or an extremely reduced fare?

We had to pay double for my mom last month, but I didn't get the double credit applied to my account - she did. I guess, using OP's logic, I should fight to get the double credits added to MY shipboard account since we paid for mom.

Nope, ma'am -- life is not always fair regarding a fare.

And as for airlines, babies are only free if you hold them on your lap up to the age of two. In my family, we purchase the extra seat so that it will be a more comfortable journey.

A couple of years ago my husband and I took our two sons, daughters in law, 13 month old grand daughter and my mother on a cruise. Princess was going to charge us full cost for son, daughter in law and grandchild in one cabin and in another cabin (my mother) was going to be charged double. I decided if I was going to have to pay full charge for my granddaughter anyway, she could be assigned to my mother's room, thereby saving me one full fare ticket. Granddaughter stayed with her parents in their room. My daughter in law took special diaper disposal bags and crib sheets to eliminate extra work for the steward. Granddaughter ate at the table in the main dining room every night and the wait staff brought her little rolls in the shape of animals and her food was in small servings very prettily arranged. She was serenaded in a couple of venues and danced on the dance floor to the rock music. Was it worth a full adult price for a child? Did she get full dollar value for the cruise, maybe not, but it was worth it to us to have her along.

Archived