Vaccinations

cleveik

None are required.

I would recommend that you consult with your physician or with a travelers physician on this.

In our case for travel, not just these places, we had the two hepatitis vaccinations and made sure that other vaccinations were up to date including tetanus as well as a flu shot if traveling during the flu season or if it is recommended based on ones age.

Keith

None are required.

I would recommend that you consult with your physician or with a travelers physician on this.

In our case for travel, not just these places, we had the two hepatitis vaccinations and made sure that other vaccinations were up to date including tetanus as well as a flu shot if traveling during the flu season or if it is recommended based on ones age.

Keith

Keith, I hope you don't mind but I plagarised this and put it on our Millie rollcall. Thanks for the information, as usual you are on the button on all things Asia.

Keith, would you need mosquito repellent on the beaches in Singapore?

Michelle, we only have walked on one beach in Singapore and that is one that is at an amusement type area that is near the current cruise ship terminal. We didn't see a need for the mosquito repellent and saw no sign of mosquitos. You could bring it along with you just in case but I don't think you will require it.

Keith

Hi. Travel clinics are great. If you are going in-country in Vietnam, cholera pills before leaving are recommended, plus hepatitis. For sure, get your tetanus shot up to date. Just got stung by a wasp in my own garden, and was in anophylactic shock twice, so I might be better off in Cambodia!:)

We are going to Vietnam and Cambodia and the travel clinic recommended flu, Hep A, Hep B, typhoid, tetanus, and MMR. Apparently there has been a measles outbreak in Vietnam recently. And yes, mosquito protection!

I have not heard of the "Travellers Physcian"/ "Travelers Clinincs". Can someone update me please. Thanks.

lesley

In Charlotte, NC, it is called Passport Health but I would suggest going there(there is a fee, like $80 per person, so only one needs to go to get info) and getting info on the countries but maybe get a list of shots you need and see if you can have your doctor do them, cheaper, and maybe your health insurance will pay. I did not listen to my own advice and it cost me like $180 per hepatitis shot.

I think Passport Health is national -- my husband was in Kansas City on business and was able to go to one of their clinics there. They talked to him about his trip, prepared a booklet of handy tips tailored to our destination, and gave him all the vaccinations he needed. It was pricey but worth it because he was in a hurry.

On the other hand, I was able to go to my regular doctor and she did exactly the same thing, minus the fancy booklet, and all it cost me was my insurance co-pay.

I think Passport Health is national -- my husband was in Kansas City on business and was able to go to one of their clinics there. They talked to him about his trip, prepared a booklet of handy tips tailored to our destination, and gave him all the vaccinations he needed. It was pricey but worth it because he was in a hurry.

On the other hand, I was able to go to my regular doctor and she did exactly the same thing, minus the fancy booklet, and all it cost me was my insurance co-pay.

Thanks for the info. We have not heard of them before and we do have one in OC.

Also I notice you are taking a Mekong River cruise in Dec. so I hope you will post how you liked it. We have toyed with the idea of cancelling our S.E. cruise and changing to a River cruise.

lesley

• 4 weeks later...
Keith, would you need mosquito repellent on the beaches in Singapore?

Hi Michelle,

Whether or not you need repellant comes down to whether you are - like me - the sort of person that mosquitoes and other biting insects zero in on. I get eaten alive while my husband probably gets one bite a year. My skin is very, very fair while he tans to a deep golden colour - I'm sure those bities love my white skin, so easy to see in the dark that it may as well be fluro. I woudn't dream of going anywhere in the tropics - and Singapore, Thailand, Cambodia, southern Vietnam are all tropical - without precautions, so I will be spraying myself lavishly or ensuring I wear a bracelet and anklet of mosquito repellant.

Cheers .. Bev

My advice is to take the repellent. But in Singapore I would wait to put it on.

I happen to be one who the bugs love to bite too.

Keith

It's a bummer, isn't it. My man just never gets bitten, but I do every time. I bought a fantastic bracelet/anklet in France last year which contains a little pellet of repellant, and that works a charm but you can't buy them here unfortunately. Ah well, have a great cruise and don't forget the Aeroguard. At least most are decent smelling these days.

Thanks for the info. We have not heard of them before and we do have one in OC.

Also I notice you are taking a Mekong River cruise in Dec. so I hope you will post how you liked it. We have toyed with the idea of cancelling our S.E. cruise and changing to a River cruise.

lesley

Your local Costco offer's some vaccinations..call their pharmacy for prices and details.

Hi Michelle,

Whether or not you need repellant comes down to whether you are - like me - the sort of person that mosquitoes and other biting insects zero in on. I get eaten alive while my husband probably gets one bite a year. My skin is very, very fair while he tans to a deep golden colour - I'm sure those bities love my white skin, so easy to see in the dark that it may as well be fluro. I woudn't dream of going anywhere in the tropics - and Singapore, Thailand, Cambodia, southern Vietnam are all tropical - without precautions, so I will be spraying myself lavishly or ensuring I wear a bracelet and anklet of mosquito repellant.

Cheers .. Bev

They eat me alive and don't touch my husband. I am red-headed. I have to spray myself to go into the garden at home here in Sydney!

They eat me alive and don't touch my husband. I am red-headed. I have to spray myself to go into the garden at home here in Sydney!

Ditto that. One of the best things for outside, if we're eating outdoors, are those sandlewood sticks. They not only smell gorgeous but really do seem to keep the bities at bay. For the rest of it, I think the only way I could protect myself is head to toe rubber wear, and that's not a nice though.

Archived