Turkey Visa - change of procedure

I thought I had flagged this up - but can't locate the thread.

From 10th April 14, all holders of a British Citizen Passport will require a visa to visit Turkey and must obtain this in advance of travel from the official Turkish Government website www.evisa.gov.tr for $20 per person. You are advised to apply at least one-week before departure. Visas will not be issued on arrival in Turkey. If you hold a different type of Passport, check visa requirements with the Turkish Embassy before you travel. Failure to comply with entry requirements will result in travel being denied/entry refused.

Am I correct in saying that cruise passengers in transit via a Turkish airport/port to their ship do not require a visa ?

Edited by WeeCountyMan

I thought I had flagged this up - but can't locate the thread.

From 10th April 14, all holders of a British Citizen Passport will require a visa to visit Turkey and must obtain this in advance of travel from the official Turkish Government website www.evisa.gov.tr for $20 per person. You are advised to apply at least one-week before departure. Visas will not be issued on arrival in Turkey. If you hold a different type of Passport, check visa requirements with the Turkish Embassy before you travel. Failure to comply with entry requirements will result in travel being denied/entry refused.

Am I correct in saying that cruise passengers in transit via a Turkish airport/port to their ship do not require a visa ?

Phoned my TA and they got in touch with the Thomson visa dept and they confirmed visas WILL be required if flying in to Turkey and this from UK gov site:

Entry requirements

Visas

British nationals need a visa to enter Turkey, except for cruise ship passengers with ‘British Citizen’ passports entering the country for a day trip, remaining in the port of embarkation and returning to the ship the same day.

British Citizens can get a multiple entry visitor visa, valid for 90 days, on arrival at any port of entry on payment of £10 in cash (Scottish currency is not accepted). You can also get an e-visa in advance online (if you’re visiting as a tourist or on business) or from the Turkish Consulate in London.

From 10 April 2014, it will not be possible to get a visa on arrival. If you’re arriving in Turkey after that date, you will need to get an e-visa online before you travel. Cruise ship passengers with ‘British Citizen’ passports entering the country for a day trip, remaining in the port of embarkation and returning to the ship the same day will continue to be able to enter Turkey without a visa or e-visa.

They started doing the evisas last year to run alongside the visas on entry. We did ours online. It worked but you do need to print it off. The cost worked out at £13 each so more expensive. Don't know how people will manage if they don't have a printer.

We were doing a stay before cruise.

Yes, travel companies etc. now assume everybody has a printer.

I asume the TA would oblige if a customer does not have access to one ?

I believe Ryanair got flak because their online boarding pass procedures didn't come into effect until 15 days prior to travelling - so if somebody flew abroad for more than a fortnight they were unable to download and print off the return boarding pass at home.

Yes, travel companies etc. now assume everybody has a printer.

I asume the TA would oblige if a customer does not have access to one ?

I believe Ryanair got flak because their online boarding pass procedures didn't come into effect until 15 days prior to travelling - so if somebody flew abroad for more than a fortnight they were unable to download and print off the return boarding pass at home.

But if its an e-visa, surely the e stands for electronic, and therefore a printer is not required?

Same with e-tickets, can't understand why people feel the need to print them off?

But if its an e-visa, surely the e stands for electronic, and therefore a printer is not required?

Same with e-tickets, can't understand why people feel the need to print them off?

Probably so they have some written proof that they have paid for the e-visa!!!

I wouldn't want to have to argue with a Turkish Immigration member of staff if they disputed anything :D

We had to show our printed evisas at passport control upon entry at Dalaman airport.

However, when we checked in at Newcastle, we were only asked for our passports. I asked if they wanted our e-tickets and was told they didn't need them. -----Confusing or what???

electronic as in electronically sent to you as opposed to snail mail ,anybody who fails to print a hard copy to carry with them does so at their peril and can finish up with an expensive headache

• 1 month later...
Phoned my TA and they got in touch with the Thomson visa dept and they confirmed visas WILL be required if flying in to Turkey and this from UK gov site:

Entry requirements

Visas

British nationals need a visa to enter Turkey, except for cruise ship passengers with ‘British Citizen’ passports entering the country for a day trip, remaining in the port of embarkation and returning to the ship the same day.

British Citizens can get a multiple entry visitor visa, valid for 90 days, on arrival at any port of entry on payment of £10 in cash (Scottish currency is not accepted). You can also get an e-visa in advance online (if you’re visiting as a tourist or on business) or from the Turkish Consulate in London.

From 10 April 2014, it will not be possible to get a visa on arrival. If you’re arriving in Turkey after that date, you will need to get an e-visa online before you travel. Cruise ship passengers with ‘British Citizen’ passports entering the country for a day trip, remaining in the port of embarkation and returning to the ship the same day will continue to be able to enter Turkey without a visa or e-visa.

Has anyone been on a cruise where you stay overnight on board the ship in port, thus having two days? Are you still OK without an visa/EVisa?