RCI secrets they don't tell you

kembo

I stole this from the Princess board, but I loved it and wanted to see what RCI might have to offer. Are there any secrets, freebies, secret doors, great sail away spots etc that most people don't know about or that RCI doesn't tell you about?

A favorite sail away spot for me is the helicopter landing pad at the very front of the ship (Voyager, Freedom and Radiance classes). Most folks don't figure out the way there until later in the cruise. Just go out to the wrap around promenade under the life boats (deck 4 on Freedom) and walk all the way forward. There will be stairs that take you up one deck, continue walking toward the front and you'll soon be at the heli pad with one of the best views on board.

Second best place: Viking Crown Lounge. Easier to find, just take the aft elevators up to the very top.

Breakfast and lunch in the MDR - better food and calmer than the Windjammer. Sauna, steamroom, showers, and tons of towels in the fitness center locker rooms.

Pretty much everything is out there somewhere on a deck plan or buried in the Compass Activities, but it takes time to sort it out - music venues and times, Quest, Ice skating shows, etc.

The "Real Secret" is to explore the entire ship, deck by deck, to see what is there.

Print deck plans from the RCI Web Site before you board and then just wander and explore.

You will be glad you did!

Here is proof that this system works.

On our first cruise on the Jewel of the Seas, every time we went to the Windjammer we got our food and then found a nearby place to sit down and eat. At lunch on the 4th day, the Windjammer was pretty full so we kept heading aft to find an open table. And we found the open air seating area across the stern of the ship. For the rest of the cruise, that is where we ate.

Had we not walked back there we would never have found it!

DSCN8222.jpg

A favorite sail away spot for me is the helicopter landing pad at the very front of the ship (Voyager, Freedom and Radiance classes). Most folks don't figure out the way there until later in the cruise. Just go out to the wrap around promenade under the life boats (deck 4 on Freedom) and walk all the way forward. There will be stairs that take you up one deck, continue walking toward the front and you'll soon be at the heli pad with one of the best views on board.

Second best place: Viking Crown Lounge. Easier to find, just take the aft elevators up to the very top.

We did this last week on Adv OTS.

The peek-a-boo Bridge is also a great place for sailaway.

I stole this from the Princess board, but I loved it and wanted to see what RCI might have to offer. Are there any secrets, freebies, secret doors, great sail away spots etc that most people don't know about or that RCI doesn't tell you about?

I have plenty of RCCL secrets...however if I told you it would no longer be a secret, and there would be tons of our fellow CCers there!

Check the floor of the elevator as they change a plate as the days go by, Monday to Tuesday, Tuesday to Wednesday etc. Take a picture of it each day so it helps u organize pictures later. Also there is something a out different colored carpet on port and aft? Please help on this one CC'ers...

The "Real Secret" is to explore the entire ship, deck by deck, to see what is there.

On our first cruise on the Jewel of the Seas, every time we went to the Windjammer we got our food and then found a nearby place to sit down and eat. At lunch on the 4th day, the Windjammer was pretty full so we kept heading aft to find an open table. And we found the open air seating area across the stern of the ship. For the rest of the cruise, that is where we ate.

DSCN8222.jpg

The best kept secret on Radiance Class ships! We ate there also and it don't seem like people discovered it untill half way through the cruise! I knew about it from right here on Cruise Critic for my last cruise on Serenade of the Seas!

This may not be a secret but it was great nevertheless.

On sailings where we have been lucky enough to have a balcony, in foreign ports and when your balcony is on the docked side of the ship, when the ship is close to sailing time, instead of going up to a deck or lounge for sailaway, just hang out on the balcony - Then as you see all the folks running for all glory be down the dock so as to make the ship on time start cheering and hootin' & hollerin' (you won't be alone) - it was hilarious! This was one of our favorite activities on more than one ship.

Print deck plans from the RCI Web Site before you board and then just wander and explore.

You will be glad you did!

DSCN8222.jpg

I do the same thing, print out the deck plans and virtually "explore" the ship before we board.

This is not a biggie, but I love scrambled eggs. The weird scrambled eggs on the buffet I think are "icky" (Maybe made from powered eggs??). I get my scrambled eggs at the omelet station and they are delicious. DH sometimes can get fried eggs there as well, although they do not always have the eggs available in the shell.

On Freedom class ships (not sure about the others) on the day you leave, the crew will direct you to the Windjammer for lunch, if you want to skip the crowd you can have pizza or a sandwich on the Promenade deck. What a great way to start your cruise!

Many folks don't find the Sea View cafe on Radiance class ships. The easiest way is to go toward the back of the Windjammer on the starboard side and take those stairs up to deck 12. Turn right and the Sea View is just ahead. Also, tho' robes are not given to pax unless they are C&A Platinum or above, many times you can get robes just by asking your cabin steward. If there are any available, you will get them. The steam and saunas inside the locker rooms on Voyager and Freedom class ships are at no charge. (can't remember if Radiance class has these too) And if you want a larger shower, use those in the locker room which are bigger than those in your cabin if you are in less than a Jr. Suite or higher. Don't miss the "peekaboo bridge" on Voyager class ships on deck 11 all the way forward. If you like shrimp, be sure to check the Cafe Promenade for shrimp salad and egg sandwiches. They are usually served on the second or third day of the cruise. Yummy!

If you're tired of your ity-bity shower, head down to the spa, get a locker from the attendant and use the showers in the locker room, (as well as a steam or sauna).

Ladies, I've heard this is a great (or at least better) place to shave your legs.

Just wondering if there is a fee to use the steam and shower rooms??Thanks ahead!

Earl

I have an IPhone 4 with an app on it for RCCL. Once out to sea I put my phone on airplane mode and use the deck plans on my phone to get around. On the Majesty someone asked if I knew where a bathroom is, I pulled out my phone and showed them.

Could you please explain how you were able to access the deck plans with your phone in airplane mode? I downloaded the RCI ap and found the plans, but I cannot get them to stay in my phones memory for use off line. Or maybe you are referring to a different application? Thanks.

Could you please explain how you were able to access the deck plans with your phone in airplane mode? I downloaded the RCI ap and found the plans, but I cannot get them to stay in my phones memory for use off line. Or maybe you are referring to a different application? Thanks.

^^^^^

This

I downloaded the free RCCL ap and it has to download the deckplan each request. In airplane mode, it just loads a blank screen.:(

Many folks don't find the Sea View cafe on Radiance class ships. The easiest way is to go toward the back of the Windjammer on the starboard side and take those stairs up to deck 12. Turn right and the Sea View is just ahead. Also, tho' robes are not given to pax unless they are C&A Platinum or above, many times you can get robes just by asking your cabin steward. If there are any available, you will get them. The steam and saunas inside the locker rooms on Voyager and Freedom class ships are at no charge. (can't remember if Radiance class has these too) And if you want a larger shower, use those in the locker room which are bigger than those in your cabin if you are in less than a Jr. Suite or higher. Don't miss the "peekaboo bridge" on Voyager class ships on deck 11 all the way forward. If you like shrimp, be sure to check the Cafe Promenade for shrimp salad and egg sandwiches. They are usually served on the second or third day of the cruise. Yummy!

Oooooh, I LOOOOOOVE those shrimp salad sandwiches! My most favorite thing they serve at Cafe Promenade!