BEST CANNOLI in BOSTON?

laughing husky

The most popular places for cannoli are Mike's and the Modern in the North End of Boston. However, I recently found a new place, that was featured on Channel 5 Chronicle and Phantom Gourmet and TV Diner - OMG, these are the best I've ever tasted. It's called Montione's, but it's not in the central Boston area and has limited business hours because they bake wholesale. I just picked up their biscotti of the month, pumpkin pecan, yum.

Darcy

The winner of Boston Magazine's BEST CANNOLI of:

2013 Maria's on Cross Street

2012 Cafe Paradiso on Hanover Street

and many people mention Bova's on Salem Street

btw-Good as they might be, driving 38 miles out of the way (to Montione's in Norton) for a cannoli at a place that has limited retail sales hours is not very practical for most tourists to Boston, such as the majority of those who post on this forum.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Agree about Mike and Modern but for a delicious bakery go to Flour by Chef Joanne Chang. Flour is in the Ft. Point Channel, which you can get to via the Silver Line from the Black Falcon Terminal. Yum!

Great bakery, but I don't believe they have cannoli.

North End Pastry Shops:

1) Mikes. Where all the tourists go

2) Modern. Where the suburbanites go because Mike is full of tourists

3) Bova. Where folks in the North End go.

Mike's is full of tourists. Modern is where suburbanites go because Mike's is full of tourists. North enders go to Bova's.

Wow. Took it verbatim.

I guess I should feel honored or something.

As a suburbanite with friends that live in the North End I'd have to say that for a traditional cannoli I'd prefer Modern since they fill the cannolis to order so they don't get soggy. If the crowds are too heavy at Modern I'll go to Bova, but they and Mike's often sell prefilled cannolis that have lost their crunch.

However the florentine cannoli at Mike's, while non-traditional, is amazing. Instead of a fried dough cannoli shell they use a rolled florentine cookie (basically a nut brittle). I've seen it offered once at Bova, but if they don't have it it's worth the wait at Mike's.

Also, if you're feeling lazy, Maria's at the entrance to the North End across from Haymarket makes a pretty good freshly-filled cannoli.

• 4 months later...

I think the North-Enders only go to Bova because it is slightly less crowded (as most places on Salem street tend to be) and thus they call it "their own". Not that Bova has bad cannolis, far from it, but I honestly find Modern's cannolis better and fresher tasting. Also, there is certainly nothing wrong with Mike's Pastry, very high quality, and the largest cannolis of the three, just slightly less intense. Modern is still my top choice, based on taste alone.

Full disclosure: I'm a subrubanite.

As for pizza, there is something to be said for braving the line for a real Regina pizza (it really is better at the original), but if you just want slices/don't want to spend your entire day in Boston in a line, Ernesto's on Salem street is my favorite.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...